Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3192 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #211
Firefly026
Everybody get dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
He also carries a cane, runs organizations with names like "Future Mad Scientists of America" and etc., was once a military sniper, but now DMs D&D games, and speaks in a sort of tone in which everything! is! declaratory!

And the government pays him not to grow corn, apparently.

He's an interesting guy.
His most recent escapade was going to El Paso to fight a legal battle with the abusive parents of the girlfriend he rescued (or, as they like to say, "kidnapped.")
There, he wore a dead man's suit and walked down main street with a pistol in his pocket to fight off banditos.

Understandably, the stress of being so awesome is pretty horrifying.

There is too much bad assery in this post.
-Momocon 2014
Upcoming Cosplays:
*Mami Tomoe -Puella Magi Madoka Magica
*Daenerys Targaryen -Game of Thrones
Firefly026 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #212
Neko Minaue
Soon-to-be cosplayer

Now having rainboots, I hope it rains hard today! Come on rain and puddles! I can take ya on with my rainboots and umbrella!
Touko aka White Trainer (Pokemon Black & White) 15%

Then eventually...
Yoko (Gurren Laggan)
Celty Sturlson (Durarara!!)
And then someone from the new Last Exile, don't know yet but I don't care!!
and more to come
Neko Minaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #213
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Today I had to find a polite way to tell my bf, "please, for the love of everything holy, just give me even 10 little minutes of quiet time when I wake up, because if you keep relentlessly jabbering at me I'm going to stab you in the face."

For years I got up much earlier than my bf. Now that his schedule is different he gets up earlier than I do. And he's developed this habit of wanting to show me EVERYTHING he's encountered since he woke up, as soon as I get out of bed. The moment I sit down, literally, he bombards me with every video, meme, article and news story he's seen since I've been asleep. I haven't eaten yet, I barely had time to pee, I'm not even processing what he's showing me... and yet he continues with this habit.

Which makes me super cranky because (a) I don't care, I just want some food; and (b) I want some time to adjust to being conscious before I'm bombarded with the horrors of the world. I've tried to explain to him that I don't like this and I need some quiet time to adjust when I first wake up. That I'd be happy to see all this stuff AFTER I'm functionally conscious. I thought he'd understand this because when he was the one walking up last he required an hour or more of "leave me alone" time -- he was like an angry bear waking up from hibernation.

This morning I tried to make this very clear, again, using polite words. But if he does this again tomorrow I'm using the "seriously, I will stab you in the eye and smother you while you sleep" language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
My awesome friend who punched a Zebra in the face had a nervous breakdown yesterday.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they recover soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
My hair is well on it's way to being pink! Yay! (the dye is in my hair at the moment, I'm letting it sit there as long as possible. Which means I am eating rice with plastic wrap on my head)
hee. I love that "don't mind me, I'm just going about my business with a plastic bag on my head" part. It's dead sexy. btw, if you use a hairdryer for about 15 minutes over the bag you can help the color set for longer. just keep it moving and use a diffuser if you have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko Minaue View Post
Now having rainboots, I hope it rains hard today! Come on rain and puddles! I can take ya on with my rainboots and umbrella!
you've been so excited about these rainboots, I hope it rains for your sake, too.
If pie is delicious, I will compliment the person serving it to me.
If they made the pie, I will absolutely compliment them on having made it, too.
-- kiratsukai

Last edited by Michi : 02-24-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: merging a double post
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #214
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

so today is a windy snowy icy rainy mess, and it goes all the way into the middle of iowa. is it sad that i want to fill my gas tank and head north even though my truck would probably not make it 50 miles down the highway in its current state? /worried

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #215
ashelia89
Visiting Gran Pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter bomb View Post
he's developed this habit of wanting to show me EVERYTHING he's encountered since he woke up, as soon as I get out of bed. The moment I sit down, literally, he bombards me with every video, meme, article and news story he's seen since I've been asleep. I haven't eaten yet, I barely had time to pee, I'm not even processing what he's showing me... and yet he continues with this habit.

Which makes me super cranky because (a) I don't care, I just want some food; and (b) I want some time to adjust to being conscious before I'm bombarded with the horrors of the world. if he does this again tomorrow I'm using the "seriously, I will stab you in the eye and smother you while you sleep" language.
XD I had the same problem for a couple of instances ,my husband got back home from his deployment to Iraq (over a year ago now) and when he was first home he'd blast music and be loud...and wake me up my jumping on me and landing all his weight on me as I was sleeping T___T ,it took me the "i will stab you in the eye" language to get it through his head that it was not nice XD ...not to mention that when people are sleeping the ones who are awake have to respect your sleep and space...never know if they have problems trying to fall asleep...>.> like I do...

He still makes fun of me though XD I was wearing a shirt that says "we can't all be morning people" with some ducks in a row...one of em is all collapsed on the floor sleeping... XD he thought it was funny cause it explained to him how i couldnt process all his gibberish the minute i was awake >.>
The Hume's ever skew history's weave. With haste they move through too-short lives. Driven to err by base desires, towards waste and wasting on they run. Undying, we Occuria light the path for wayward sons of man. Oft did we pass judgment on them so that Ivalice might endure. Eternal, we are hist'ry's stewards, to set the course and keep it true. The chosen is our hand - our fist - to let live some and to crush the rest.
ashelia89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #216
Viveeh
necrocarnival

I'm tired of all the random guys on the street trying to flirt with me when I walk to school and back. Don't really know what to do. I've tried walking a different route but they keep appearing. DX
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #217
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viveeh View Post
I'm tired of all the random guys on the street trying to flirt with me when I walk to school and back. Don't really know what to do. I've tried walking a different route but they keep appearing. DX
Maybe this?

JUST KIDDING. Seriously, though, I love Hollaback's tactic of taking pictures of your harasser(s) and posting them for everyone to see.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #218
squ33k t0y

My brother is bringing home a pizza. So excited. e.e And so hungry.. But that's my fault for not eating all day. xD

Cosplay/Art Tumblr
squ33k t0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #219
Viveeh
necrocarnival

^ Pizza sure is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Maybe this?

JUST KIDDING. Seriously, though, I love Hollaback's tactic of taking pictures of your harasser(s) and posting them for everyone to see.
Ah well, it's not quite THAT serious, they're still innocent. It's just very new to me because I grew up in the middle of nowhere with almost no people around. And it's starting to get kind of irritating... It was a bit creepy when this one guy asked me for a kiss. o.o But I ignore them. And there are always hundreds of people at the square at that time. Aaand I know how to kick hard if I need to. XD Still I guess there's no way to avoid them creepy guys!

Last edited by Viveeh : 02-24-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #220
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
[edit: didn't see your followup post when I wrote this. but maybe it's helpful anyway.]

If it's not threatening or harassing (just annoying) I used to wear headphones and listen to music. Not loud enough that it would impair my safety, but loud enough that I could listen to music and only hear indistinguishable murmuring of catcalls in the background. Not hearing the specifics made me less irritated.

It really depends on what they're saying and how they're doing it. Frankly telling them you're not interested, or to go away usually works. Though half the time they call you slurs before leaving no matter how polite you are, because they're classy like that. Taking their photo can work. Most of the time I just flip them off if they're yelling from across the street or from a car. Whipping out your cellphone and calling for assistance can work -- "I'd like to report a man harassing and following me, I'm at [street] and [street]." I suggest doing that if it's beyond irritating and is actually harassing or threatening.

If you're isolated and really creeped out I found spitting is a surprisingly effective deterrent. For reals. I was once walking down the street and this uber sketchy guy blocked my way to give me what he considered a compliment and what I found gross and rude. In pure reflexive disgust, without thinking about it, I immediately spat at his feet and gave him a look that likely indicated my disgust. He got annoyed and grossed out, mumbled something and went away. Leaving me standing there going, "huh. so spitting works. how about that." I'm not like, a regular spitter or anything, but I have done that on occasion where I felt threatened or really disgusted and could tell the individual was not capable of understanding normal human talk.

Speaking of disgusting...

The other day I had this crazy idea. It occurred to me that instead of having to play nice social games with people who are both rudely interrupting my time and relentlessly ignoring the "I'm not interested" signals... I could start a social experiment based on grossing out the "flirter" to end things quickly and clearly. So the next time someone is relentlessly hounding me I'm going to just loudly declare:
[text whited out so as not to offend delicate sensibilities]
"I HAVE A YEAST INFECTION! YEP, NOTHING BUT YEAST YEAST YEAST DOWN THERE!"
or maybe
"I'M ON MY PERIOD! I'M JUST SPEWING BLOOD! I'M WEARING 3 TAMPONS AT ONCE RIGHT NOW!"
...I expect some interesting results.

none of that may be helpful, but hopefully it was at least entertaining.
-- kiratsukai

Last edited by glitter bomb : 02-24-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #221
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelia89 View Post
XD I had the same problem for a couple of instances ,my husband got back home from his deployment to Iraq (over a year ago now) and when he was first home he'd blast music and be loud...and wake me up my jumping on me and landing all his weight on me as I was sleeping T___T ,it took me the "i will stab you in the eye" language to get it through his head that it was not nice XD ...not to mention that when people are sleeping the ones who are awake have to respect your sleep and space...never know if they have problems trying to fall asleep...>.> like I do...

He still makes fun of me though XD I was wearing a shirt that says "we can't all be morning people" with some ducks in a row...one of em is all collapsed on the floor sleeping... XD he thought it was funny cause it explained to him how i couldnt process all his gibberish the minute i was awake >.>
*L* I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to whip out the "I will stab you" on occasion. Like, it'll be weeks or months of me nicely reminding him to do or not do something, then at some point I've had enough and break out the stabby threats. Usually we laugh about it after.
-- kiratsukai
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #222
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

/sigh

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #223
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
/sigh

oh noes! why? is it all the depressing news stories?
-- kiratsukai
Unread 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #224
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Ah well, it's not quite THAT serious, they're still innocent. It's just very new to me because I grew up in the middle of nowhere with almost no people around. And it's starting to get kind of irritating... It was a bit creepy when this one guy asked me for a kiss. o.o But I ignore them. And there are always hundreds of people at the square at that time. Aaand I know how to kick hard if I need to. XD Still I guess there's no way to avoid them creepy guys!
Strangers asking you for a kiss-- that is street harassment. I mean, maybe some women like that kind of treatment, but for a lot of us it's not flattering, cute, or attractive: it's uncomfortable, embarrassing, and even threatening.

Ignoring them is usually a good tactic; they're doing it to provoke a response, and if you don't give it to them, most of the time they give up. Or they call you insulting names. Funny how you go from being a hot piece of a** to a frigid b**** in less than 15 seconds when you don't give them what they want, huh? Otherwise, seriously-- snap a picture, put it up on Hollaback.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #225
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter bomb View Post
oh noes! why? is it all the depressing news stories?
Clearly not, if those stories depressed people, then they clearly don't have a real sense of happiness and need to examine their lives.

I would post a charming story of a man leaving wall street to achieve his dreams in hopes of sparking conversations about what we all really want to do in life, but that would get tossed back into that other thread so we have more room for threads on cats, laugh or lose, time wasters etc. because serious business is like... totally lame.

I'm only 50% bitter. Honest.

... i'm going to bake a pie and eat it by myself. With French vanilla ice cream, because it's better then normal vanilla.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote