Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3859 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #42916
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yay. Finally finished the machine-sewn parts of my tunic in about seven-eight hours total. Now to punch eyelet holes and o the thread binding around them by hand, embroider a crest on it, and repeat everything again for the second one.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #42917
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Pffft! I can also arch one eyebrow.
Double post, but so can I. For some reason that was AMAZINGLY WEIRD in grade school. But, I can't curl my tongue. At least, not well enough to be able to stick it out.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 04-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #42918
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

I can only raise my right eyebrow.

I can wiggle both my ears independently though.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #42919
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post

I can lift both eyebrows individually and wiggle my ears, yeeeee >: D
LoliLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #42920
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post

I can arch both by themselves, but I can't wiggle my ears.

When we were in theatre camp, the director, Brendan, would sit us in front of the dance mirror for an hour and have us practice moving our faces in different ways. Every day for three weeks. I'm a pro at expressions now.
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #42921
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I can only arch the right one. I can only sneer with the right side of my upper lip. I can't wiggle my ears. I can cross one eye though - that always freaks people out.

When I was a kid I practiced in front of the mirror to arch one eyebrow so that I could be like Mr. Spock. True story, bro.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #42922
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
When I was a kid I practiced in front of the mirror to arch one eyebrow so that I could be like Mr. Spock. True story, bro.
When I was a kid people compared me to Spock.

True story, bro.

I shouldn't even need to justify this by now :/
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #42923
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

But how many of you ca ndo the Vulcan thing (I forget what precisely it's called, i don't watch much Star Trek) with your fingers? And NOT having to manipulate them into place? (...I can. But seven or eight years of piano, flute, drawing, hand embroidery, near-constant handwriting and typing will give you some pretty damn agile fingers)
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #42924
Lithium Flower
Handphones

So. Mid way into the convention Boyfriends tells me that they own a sewing machine.

After I spent two days trying to hand sew fabric together.

~____________~

I have 6 months until Youmacon and I am planning on doing this costume:

Which I think I'll try to sew. Because lol why not. I want to say that would be fairly simple to make but I know if I do someone will tell me that it's going to be fiercely difficult.

My biggest goal is to make that skirt accurate, every single person I see who cosplays it never EVER has the pleats in it and it's just a sack looking thing hanging limply around their legs like a Disney ballgown without a petticoat.

I also signed up for http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ with Rori. Shockingly I am finding myself well under the calorie goals (1200 a day, 192 carbs, 46 fat, and 52 for protein) and I need to be watching what I am eating to get the right amount of everything in the right place. The amount of food I normally eat is surprisingly well under the 1200 calorie goal ,by lunch I had only around 400-500 calories consumed as well as very little carbs and fat. I was doing decently on protein.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #42925
Bisected8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
But how many of you ca ndo the Vulcan thing (I forget what precisely it's called, i don't watch much Star Trek) with your fingers? And NOT having to manipulate them into place? (...I can. But seven or eight years of piano, flute, drawing, hand embroidery, near-constant handwriting and typing will give you some pretty damn agile fingers)
Easily (it's called the Vulcan salute, although I understand it was already used for something else in some culture or other before Star Trek).

Unread 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #42926
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I can.

But mostly because when I was in high school, I spent three months taping my fingers together because I wanted to understand how Nightcrawler felt.
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #42927
Bisected8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Finn View Post
I can.

But mostly because when I was in high school, I spent three months taping my fingers together because I wanted to understand how Nightcrawler felt.
How did it feel?

Unread 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #42928
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

LOL. My boyfriend did that once, and typed that way for the whole evening. Though he was attempting to see what it would be like to be a Quarian.
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #42929
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
When I was a kid people compared me to Spock.

True story, bro.
I wish that people had compared me to Spock. One of my sister's boyfriends used to call me "Mrs. O'Brien".

Man, I hated that guy.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #42930
Kildread
I can fix it!

Errr... I didn't think the Vulcan salute was something complex you needed training to do.

Doubting, I googled it just in case and yeah... that's pretty easy.

Quote:
Definitively see the resemblance!
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote