Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4006 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #45766
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

Holy fuck! I only ment to take a small nap today but ended up sleeping away the entire day and I've done nothing that I needed to do.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #45767
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
I saw Prometheus tonight.... Sleep has been eliminated from the list...
I quivered during the movie, but I slept just as well that night.

I did think it was a great watch, looking forward to the Dark Knight next! (Don't think I saw anything else coming before that --- that interested me anyway)
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #45768
Squeaker-Ed
KNOCK KNOCK LOSERS

Guess who did practice driving today and didn't destroy anything? =w=

/still terrified of driving/

PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Ashley, Rusty, & Dinah {x2} (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #45769
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Is it really that weird that I'm avoiding pursuing a career related to my #1 passion (that would be sewing and costume design) because it's my #1 passion?

The background notes on this question. My parents hosted a Bellmont Stakes party, the friends invited included my good friend, her dad, and one of her dad's coworkers (they do stuff with film sets and props). Friend mentioned to her dad's coworker that I'm going to be going back to school for special ed, and she also mentioned that she admires my costume work. I showed Ms Coworker so photos of stuff I made, and then she kept grilling me asking why I'm going into special ed instead of costuming, and she didn't accept my usual "it doesn't appeal to me on a professional level."

IDK, but it made me uncomfortable, and ultimately the answer that satisfied her was "I'd rather do it for myself instead of trying to please a customer," which can come off as selfish, but so be it.

Eh, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not explain the reasons why I've decided to to what I do to strangers. I've spent a lot of time, had a lot of mental health issues, and shed a lot of tears to figure out where I'm going and what I'm leaving behind. It's not the kind of thing I'd like to share with someone I just met. Especially not someone who up and asks "Why are you getting into special education when you're clearly so good at costuming?" and pesters me even after I say I'd like to keep costuming as a hobby.

I know, I know, I'm over reacting to something stupid again, but really, ugh. Lady, I want to help and teach disabled kids, why question it?

Also, on a final note, I'll paraphrase Mike Rowe (or is it Rove? the Dirty Jobs guy). You don't need to follow your passion, but you do need to bring it with you.

I'm tired. I don't even know where I meant my ramble to go. People who read my posts are probably aware that I tend to ramble on and on when a nerve is touched, so, yeah, There we go.

On a happier note, one of my camp kids had a birthday this week, so we got a cookie cake. Haven't had one in ages, and it was glorious. Also, since my camp is at a Jewish community center, Friday we had a Shabbat sing along. I still have the songs in my head, and most of them are just the phrase "Shabbat Shalom" to different tunes. LOLOLOLO.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #45770
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I quivered during the movie, but I slept just as well that night.

I did think it was a great watch, looking forward to the Dark Knight next! (Don't think I saw anything else coming before that --- that interested me anyway)
I dislike horror though Dx
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #45771
Squeaker-Ed
KNOCK KNOCK LOSERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
Is it really that weird that I'm avoiding pursuing a career related to my #1 passion (that would be sewing and costume design) because it's my #1 passion?

The background notes on this question. My parents hosted a Bellmont Stakes party, the friends invited included my good friend, her dad, and one of her dad's coworkers (they do stuff with film sets and props). Friend mentioned to her dad's coworker that I'm going to be going back to school for special ed, and she also mentioned that she admires my costume work. I showed Ms Coworker so photos of stuff I made, and then she kept grilling me asking why I'm going into special ed instead of costuming, and she didn't accept my usual "it doesn't appeal to me on a professional level."

IDK, but it made me uncomfortable, and ultimately the answer that satisfied her was "I'd rather do it for myself instead of trying to please a customer," which can come off as selfish, but so be it.

Eh, maybe it's just me, but I'd rather not explain the reasons why I've decided to to what I do to strangers. I've spent a lot of time, had a lot of mental health issues, and shed a lot of tears to figure out where I'm going and what I'm leaving behind. It's not the kind of thing I'd like to share with someone I just met. Especially not someone who up and asks "Why are you getting into special education when you're clearly so good at costuming?" and pesters me even after I say I'd like to keep costuming as a hobby.

I know, I know, I'm over reacting to something stupid again, but really, ugh. Lady, I want to help and teach disabled kids, why question it?

Also, on a final note, I'll paraphrase Mike Rowe (or is it Rove? the Dirty Jobs guy). You don't need to follow your passion, but you do need to bring it with you.

I'm tired. I don't even know where I meant my ramble to go. People who read my posts are probably aware that I tend to ramble on and on when a nerve is touched, so, yeah, There we go.

On a happier note, one of my camp kids had a birthday this week, so we got a cookie cake. Haven't had one in ages, and it was glorious. Also, since my camp is at a Jewish community center, Friday we had a Shabbat sing along. I still have the songs in my head, and most of them are just the phrase "Shabbat Shalom" to different tunes. LOLOLOLO.
It's not entirely weird. I like sewing and costuming as well, but I can't really see myself doing that as a career. (Then again, as of today and yesterday, I'm having a hard time picturing myself being a cosmetologist for long either.)

And yeah, the Dirty Jobs guy is Mike Rowe.

PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Ashley, Rusty, & Dinah {x2} (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #45772
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
Not really.

Gaming is my #1 passion, yet, here I am, sitting on a administrative IT development (Or whatever the english name is for it) degree, coding warehouse apps, websites, data management software and trudging through databases for 7 years.

Because, likely the same way you see it --- for me, it's a passion, but one that keeps its luster for being a hobby not tied to my livelihood, and schedules and responsibilities and etc,etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
I dislike horror though Dx
As do I. I like it in game form well-enough, but horror-movies have very few entries that appeal to me. I went to see Prometheus because I saw the trailer and thought "I wanna see this".

Only finding out it fell on the horror genre a few days ago, nevertheless, I loved it.

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
I liked the Aliens link that I only saw/realized at the very end, regardless of the producer's intent
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #45773
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Now I want to go find some Dirty Jobs eps online. Really, he had a great point. You can love your job and be passionate about it even if you're not doing your favorite thing for a living. Maybe it's an attitude of film industry people, or people who happen to have a successful career related to their passion.

But, yah, words to live by. It's all in the attitude; super important since most people don't end up doing what they thought they would as a teenager or young adult. Again, I now want to watch Dirty Jobs because there are few things as humbling and perspective-giving as seeing someone who can clean out port-a-potties with a genuine smile on their face.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Because, likely the same way you see it --- for me, it's a passion, but one that keeps its luster for being a hobby not tied to my livelihood, and schedules and responsibilities and etc,etc...
Exactly! I enjoy having hobbies that I lovelovelove and can do on my own terms. Costuming is #1 among these, and I look at it the same way I look at my dance, working out, and brewing beer. Something I'm good at, love doing, and have zero stress. I occasionally do commissions for relative or good friends, even then, only projects I'm into, and it sucks out the fun.

Last edited by alpha_helix : 06-10-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #45774
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Ah ok I wasn't sure if you enjoyed it or not... ugh my anxiety had me shaking and I could hear my heart thudding against my ribs.

And as for the link, I think it was intended. It had the same director as Aliens.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #45775
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

I haven't seen it, but to err on the side of caution...a friend said

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
it was meant to be a prequel to Alien. I just thought it was something I hadn't picked up on from the trailers, because I can be silly and unobservant XDD
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #45776
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Lessons I learned today:
Filming takes a lot longer than you think it will.
Editing takes a HELL of a lot longer than you think it will.
SAVE YOUR WORK BEFORE YOUR COMPUTER CRASHES.

D:
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #45777
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Sakura-- Oh no! How much work did you lose? (That's happened to me before too... I did 50 hours of editing on this one video (an hour-and-some long workshop tape) and lost about 5 hours worth of work one night when stuff crashed.

Re:Prometheus, it looked interesting, but I probably wouldn't handle it well. Not really a horror person, y'know?

Yesterday was fun, though! Spent it in DC with 200,000+ Girl Scouts and even ran into some cosplayers while I was there. Epic day!
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #45778
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I've had a fun weekend!
Friday I had Five Guys for dinner and saw Prometheus (it was good. It didn't scary me though. I jumped more during one of the "coming soon" trailers)

Saturday I went to a 31 party (they sell bags and storage bins. Geared towards housewives.) gf bought some storage bins and we got a big tote thing for the beach. And I wound up agreeing to a host a party in August.
Then gf came home and watched Sky Dancers and Ferngully.

Tonight we're going to dinner at her co-worker's house.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #45779
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

I'm out of hayfever tablets and everyone seems to have started mowing their lawn. Oh joy....

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #45780
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Sakura-- Oh no! How much work did you lose? (That's happened to me before too... I did 50 hours of editing on this one video (an hour-and-some long workshop tape) and lost about 5 hours worth of work one night when stuff crashed.

Re:Prometheus, it looked interesting, but I probably wouldn't handle it well. Not really a horror person, y'know?

Yesterday was fun, though! Spent it in DC with 200,000+ Girl Scouts and even ran into some cosplayers while I was there. Epic day!
Ouch. That sucks! I hope it turned out okay. I had only edited for about two hours, and since I knew what I was doing it only took me about half an hour to put it all back.

But now I know I can't have Premiere and Soundbooth open at the same time. Even though I opened Soundbooth and was like, "Wow, my computer totally can't handle this but I'll do it anyway."
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote