Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4007 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #55126
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I'm going to use Athena the Bengal to lighten the mood.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #55127
Lithium Flower
Handphones

That cat does not want any nonsense.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #55128
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
That cat does not want any nonsense.
She is very serious. And adorable. And in need of a good home. (my friend is fostering her. I want her but she's $200 because she's a purebred and I already have two cats...)

I have to go to children's and young adult's lit soon. hopefully we'll know what we're going to be reading for the young adult half of the course today. I have a feeling The Hunger Games will be one of the books. Which is great since I own the series.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #55129
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
She is very serious. And adorable. And in need of a good home. (my friend is fostering her. I want her but she's $200 because she's a purebred and I already have two cats...)

I have to go to children's and young adult's lit soon. hopefully we'll know what we're going to be reading for the young adult half of the course today. I have a feeling The Hunger Games will be one of the books. Which is great since I own the series.
I would take the kitty if I had $200 sitting around and lived in a place that was accessible to kitty. My mom still has my cat in Denver with her, I told her I will do anything to get her to bring him back with her when she visits in the winter. I miss my kitty D:

It's 11:30. I should probably eat.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #55130
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I found this unusually long rubberband recently and as much as I'd like to use it for something I'd also like to know if I can find more of this type.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mhe6hy.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/245kjzd.jpg

oh well -.-
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #55131
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Re - 9/11

I remember it with freakish clarity. I was in school, first month of year 9 it must have been (second/third year of high school) and it was during English class, first lesson after lunch.

The teacher went out of the room to meet some of the other teachers then came back and told us briefly that something was going on in the US. I can't remember exactly what, but we knew there was something fairly big happening. Then we carried on with our lesson for about 15 mins until the second plane hit. Then one of the heads of the English department came in and spoke to the teacher for a couple of minutes with a distinctly 'this-shit-is-serious' look on his face.

Obviously, being kids at the time, and not knowing what had happened, we were all pretty excited. They put the television on and we watched the BBC coverage for the rest of the lesson. During that time, even as 13 year old kids we started to think '...shiiiit.'

Then we went to the biology lab (I told you my memory of it was bizarrely specific) and put the TV straight on. We watched it there until the collapse of the first tower. At that point (about 3.00 pm) the head teacher sent everyone home. It's weird looking back on it now, since it wasn't even an English event. I bet some UK schools didn't even close on the day of the 7/7 bombings and that was in London.

So we all went out to get buses etc home (it was only like, 45 mins early remember - not half the day or anything) and I remember while all us kids were standing around the bus stop, we were all talking about it - realising it was a big deal, but simultaneously not really getting just how big a deal. Then I took the bus home. When I got home the second tower had collapsed about 5-10 minutes earlier. Then I watched it for like, 4 or 5 more hours into the evening. My dad was on the phone all night because he used to be some sort of telecommunications big-wig and apparently knew, not a lot, but a few people in the towers.

So weird looking back on it now.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #55132
Wolfmeisterrr

Off for 2 days waaahoo.

P.S I want a bengal or an Occi cat plox.
Wolfmeisterrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #55133
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
Re - 9/11

I remember it with freakish clarity. I was in school, first month of year 9 it must have been (second/third year of high school) and it was during English class, first lesson after lunch.

The teacher went out of the room to meet some of the other teachers then came back and told us briefly that something was going on in the US. I can't remember exactly what, but we knew there was something fairly big happening. Then we carried on with our lesson for about 15 mins until the second plane hit. Then one of the heads of the English department came in and spoke to the teacher for a couple of minutes with a distinctly 'this-shit-is-serious' look on his face.

Obviously, being kids at the time, and not knowing what had happened, we were all pretty excited. They put the television on and we watched the BBC coverage for the rest of the lesson. During that time, even as 13 year old kids we started to think '...shiiiit.'

Then we went to the biology lab (I told you my memory of it was bizarrely specific) and put the TV straight on. We watched it there until the collapse of the first tower. At that point (about 3.00 pm) the head teacher sent everyone home. It's weird looking back on it now, since it wasn't even an English event. I bet some UK schools didn't even close on the day of the 7/7 bombings and that was in London.

So we all went out to get buses etc home (it was only like, 45 mins early remember - not half the day or anything) and I remember while all us kids were standing around the bus stop, we were all talking about it - realising it was a big deal, but simultaneously not really getting just how big a deal. Then I took the bus home. When I got home the second tower had collapsed about 5-10 minutes earlier. Then I watched it for like, 4 or 5 more hours into the evening. My dad was on the phone all night because he used to be some sort of telecommunications big-wig and apparently knew, not a lot, but a few people in the towers.

So weird looking back on it now.
I am kind of surprised that in the UK your school was following it as well, to be frank hardly any news outlets in the US will report on events outside of the US unless it's specifically related to our country in some way. A good example would be the discussion a while back on the Olympics cutting out the 7/7 London bombing tribute and the following discussion in which Americans didn't know what the bombings where.

I can tell you this much, our high schools didn't even hear about the London bombings much-less turn to any news outlets for information on it.

Guess I am just pretty surprised that your school was following along with it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #55134
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

I didn't hear about it until after school. I'd just ran into the newsagents to grab a paper for my mum, and when I got back to the car she was staring at the radio with a shocked look on her face.

When I listened to it, they were confirming that the second tower had been hit. I'm not really sure how I didn't here anything about it until that point (I can't remember if the radio was on before I got out of the car but it could have just been on a music-only station and none of the teachers brought it up).

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #55135
Kildread
I can fix it!

When 9/11 happened, I was doing maths.

Later in the day, some folks in class mentioned it a little.

My thoughts were only about a friend who worked in an office just down the street from the twin towers that day (She was fine).
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #55136
sam vimes
A real live wire

Damn it, Chris. Why'd you bring it up here?

Still cry when I hear/see footage. Can't wait to see what Tumblr has in store for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #55137
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I am kind of surprised that in the UK your school was following it as well, to be frank hardly any news outlets in the US will report on events outside of the US unless it's specifically related to our country in some way. A good example would be the discussion a while back on the Olympics cutting out the 7/7 London bombing tribute and the following discussion in which Americans didn't know what the bombings where.

I can tell you this much, our high schools didn't even hear about the London bombings much-less turn to any news outlets for information on it.

Guess I am just pretty surprised that your school was following along with it.
Yeah, I don't think it was a case of "England is, like, sooo much more in touch with other countries and cultures than America, you guys*." It's more that 9/11 was just a really fucking big deal. Globally.

*but maybe it was that as well.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #55138
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
Yeah, I don't think it was a case of "England is, like, sooo much more in touch with other countries and cultures than America, you guys*." It's more that 9/11 was just a really fucking big deal. Globally.

*but maybe it was that as well.
I thought it was the other way around; Europe think of us as America v0.5, American thinks of us as an English speaking outpost of Europe and Africa, Asia and the Middle East are still upset about all the slavery, asking to be worshipped and drug dealing.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #55139
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #55140
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Damn it, Chris. Why'd you bring it up here?

Still cry when I hear/see footage. Can't wait to see what Tumblr has in store for me.
Because someone would have, and at least the discussions we're having here are civil. As for tumblr....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
...alright that's dope. Much better then what I got on tumblr, which is someone asking othher tumblr-folk to troll some dope who's doing 9/11-Derpy Hooves mash ups in the worse way possibly. Such fuckery.

And if we're doing the where were you, I was in college, and had literally gotten off of the bus once as tower 1 went down. Classes were cancelled, and I walked into the cafeteria as tower 2 went down, which is horrifying to say the least. I actually had to walk home from my
college, as classes were cancelled, and all buses were suspended in NYC. That was less than ideal. Also eerie as hell, as there were barely any cars on the road, smoke in the air, and military aircraft flying overhead every 5-10 minutes. From there, it was a lot of confusion, and a 7 hour shift at Burger King, which was the worse, as my friend/co-worker who drove me to work that day lost 2 uncles that day. They were both fire fighters.

I managed to visit Ground Zero more than a week later and managed to get like 3 blocks away from the area, which was pretty much the closest you could get for nearly a year. Considering I was actually at the mall in the WTC a month earlier, shit was surreal to say the lease.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote