Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3901 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #56356
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
NOOOOOO Egg bound is horrible and a cloacal prolapse is horrible Dx
It looks like Cell is a boy, there's obvious little bumps on his tail that indicates a male gecko. But his head area looks kind of sunken in and skeletal..and he's been seen drinking water but is laying around 'gaping' with dirt in his mouth again.

Boyfriend and I are going to try and find a nearby vet who cares for reptiles and see if he can get off work early to bring Cell in
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #56357
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

How old is the gecko, anyway? Like you said in a previous post, it could just be his time to go. Although nobody likes seeing their pet suffer, if he's starting to die of old age it might not be worth it to go to a vet who'll charge out the ass just to LOOK at him.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #56358
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
How old is the gecko, anyway? Like you said in a previous post, it could just be his time to go. Although nobody likes seeing their pet suffer, if he's starting to die of old age it might not be worth it to go to a vet who'll charge out the ass just to LOOK at him.
Cell is 15...and golden geckos live to be around 15-20 so he very well may simply be at the end of the line. But if he does have something treatable and we just let it go and he suffers from something we could have treated which is worse? Just assuming he's old and letting him die, spending money just to have him looked at or paying to find out he's just old now and he's just gonna die eventually?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #56359
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

If you can afford a vet to see if it's something properly wrong, by all means, do so, but with such an old gecko, I'd at least give it another day or two to see if he starts to improve at all/if anything gets worse/he stays the same before taking him in.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #56360
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
If you can afford a vet to see if it's something properly wrong, by all means, do so, but with such an old gecko, I'd at least give it another day or two to see if he starts to improve at all/if anything gets worse/he stays the same before taking him in.
Cell's already been like this for about 3 days now :\ and honestly a vet is going to be a kinda big expense depending on what goes on.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #56361
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I hope he gets better =(
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #56362
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

And have you checked around on forums/google and such to see if his symptoms match anything? Even if it turns out to be something serious, at least having an idea of what it is before you have to take him in could save a lot in vet bills.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #56363
Lithium Flower
Handphones

We've been looking up symptoms for days now and we find one or two things here and there but nothing that actually describes exactly what we're seeing.

We've figured out Cell is definitely a boy.

He has been drinking and Brandon described his belly as feeling full so he may have eaten, or swallowed dirt :\

He will drink, Brandon saw him drink earlier this morning.

He will 'gape' (sit with the mouth open) with dirt just in his jaws. He won't be swallowing the dirt, just sitting with it resting in his mouth.

His head seems a bit discolored and his eyes are sunken in a little.

He's more placid then normal; normally you couldn't walk by the cage without him scampering away and just now he let Brandon hold him and scrape some dirt out of his mouth without much of a fuss at all-he's acting really really placid.

Honestly at this point it isn't looking good for Cell...
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #56364
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

The only thing I can think of is a parasitic infection, but since I've never owned a gecko that's all the advice I can give.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #56365
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Brandon and I talked about the 'what-ifs' and he said that at this point for Cell if he's really ill he would have him euthanized. He's so old that at this point he's sort of living on 'borrowed time' and we can't afford to spend $200 on a 15 year old gecko that dies in two months.

He's had this guy for ages, and loves him so much. I hope that if Cell is sick we can at least put him to sleep painlessly..
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #56366
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Fortunately that is possible for reptiles (heck, you can euthanize nearly any animal without it being painful). Dunno how much it costs, though.

On a less depressive note, I want this female cornsnake in the pet shop SO MUCH. She's an older, bigger one who was brought in by someone who couldn't keep her anymore. She's got gorgeous colouring/patterning, and she's so friendly and gregarious. She's always slithering around, looking at people who go by and rarely hiding away in her log. And she's only a hundred bucks. Cue me having a fish I'm not even attached to compared to my old betta that would take up the space for a snake, and not having the funds for setting up and buying one either. Whyyyyyy?

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 10-02-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Unread 10-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #56367
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Fortunately that is possible for reptiles (heck, you can euthanize nearly any animal without it being painful). Dunno how much it costs, though.

On a less depressive note, I want this female cornsnake in the pet shop SO MUCH. She's an older, bigger one who was brought in by someone who couldn't keep her anymore. She's got gorgeous colouring/patterning, and she's so friendly and gregarious. She's always slithering around, looking at people who go by and rarely hiding away in her log. And she's only a hundred bucks. Cue me having a fish I'm not even attached to compared to my old betta that would take up the space for a snake, and not having the funds for setting up and buying one either. Whyyyyyy?
To be honest, Cell might just be too far gone and too old.

It sounds like that fish might have an 'accident'. Ya know it would be a shame if his breaks where to fail..Or if someone slipped him an arsenic laced cuddle bone.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #56368
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

LOL, I'm not that cruel. And even if I was going to get the snake despite not really being able to afford it (and if I get into college for next year, not being able to bring it with me and neither of my parents wanting to look after one. Though my boyfriend's perfectly willing to look after one since he's wanted a snake for ages too), I wouldn't just kill the fish. I'd either move his tank to the kitchen table or put him in the little half-gallon betta tank I first used and is now used for refilling the tank after cleaning.
Unread 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #56369
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
LOL, I'm not that cruel. And even if I was going to get the snake despite not really being able to afford it (and if I get into college for next year, not being able to bring it with me and neither of my parents wanting to look after one. Though my boyfriend's perfectly willing to look after one since he's wanted a snake for ages too), I wouldn't just kill the fish. I'd either move his tank to the kitchen table or put him in the little half-gallon betta tank I first used and is now used for refilling the tank after cleaning.
YOU aren't that cruel, but I hear there's a wicked puffer-fish down on 5th street....
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #56370
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Not near my house, then, lol. There's a 5th avenue but no 5th street here. (And aren't puffers a saltwater fish? That'd kill them before they could do anything to a betta...)