Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3900 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #56461
Lithium Flower
Handphones

So I had the kitchen window open and a big gust must have come by because some mug got knocked over and the sound scared the poopers out of me.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #56462
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

I've just been told that my grandad 's been told that he's dying by doctors. Apparently he's still up and about, but a few of his vital organs completely shot and beyond helping so he's living on borrowed time. We're visiting him on Saturday to find out exactly how he is.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #56463
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Conflating effeminate behavior with weakness? Conflating both weakness and effiminate behavior with bad things? Y'all know better than to get me started.
Yeah, it's a knee-jerk reaction that he's mildly glum about. People are still allowed to have their own thoughts without the issue of social conditioning being brought up. A lot of men are dismayed by being associated with weakness...is being allowed to define our own masculinity such an offense?

EDIT: That sucks, Bisected. Thoughts and prayers and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #56464
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysi View Post
I remember a couple times some kindly older ladies boosting my ego by telling me I was graceful. Then I went and watched a ballet practice with a friend. I felt like a lumbering wilderbeast for the rest of the EVER. Ambling to and from the door while the other performers floated out of the studio all svelte-y and beautiful was the hardest part of the night.
Oh my God, man, the effort these women and men put into their art, it's frightening. They are soldiers in impractical shoes.
Indeed. A lot of people really have NO idea how much physical work goes into looking so graceful, ESPECIALLY pointe ballet. I demonstrated for my Mom, actually; "stand up on your toes, arms in first". SEEMS easy, right? No. "Stand up as high as possible on your toes, back straight and aligned with the shoulders and hips, chest up, abs tight, turnout (which means rotating from the hips/thighs AND feet and squeezing a lot of muscles to keep it that way), arms just soand with a "weightless" apperance, stretch your neck up high, and you should feel like your pulling up while pushing down into the floor with your feet". Mom pretty well just blinked in confusion that there was SO much to work out for even a simple pose. To say nothing of leaps, pirouettes and arabesques. I know it sounds pro-ana, but it IS true; you never see a fat ballerina. Ballet dancers have to be in fantastic shape to do all of that, in professional cases for eight+ hours a day six days a week. And don't get me started on why dancers are righteously teed off at seeing pointe shoes worn by those who can't dance and/or call them "just shoes"...
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #56465
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I know it sounds pro-ana, but it IS true;
When you have to say "I know it sounds pro-anorexia" it's time to rethink if you REALLY want to say what your thinking.

No more bullshit, Shinobi. I don't want to hear it. Keep it to yourself.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #56466
sam vimes
A real live wire

If one of you uses the word privilege in the upcoming discussion, I will set this place on fire.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #56467
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
If one of you uses the word privilege in the upcoming discussion, I will set this place on fire.
Which kind?

butt privilege

soup privilege

armpit hair privilege

You gotta be specific man.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #56468
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Quote:
Yeah, it's a knee-jerk reaction that he's mildly glum about. People are still allowed to have their own thoughts without the issue of social conditioning being brought up. A lot of men are dismayed by being associated with weakness...is being allowed to define our own masculinity such an offense?

EDIT: That sucks, Bisected. Thoughts and prayers and such.
Thanks.

For the record, I think men have a right to be offended if someone implies they're feminine and women have a right to be offended if they're called masculine, assuming it was meant in an insulting manner (in the end, you're telling someone they're not up to society's expectations, regardless of your own opinions on how reasonable said expectations are).

That said, I'd personally take being told I was either as a compliment no matter how insultingly it was meant. ¨_¨

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #56469
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Which kind?

butt privilege

soup privilege

armpit hair privilege

You gotta be specific man.
As a white, heterosexual, blue-eyed, average-height, fully-abled, cis-male, middle-class American citizen, I'm kind of spoiled for choice.

Did I miss any?

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #56470
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
As a white, heterosexual, blue-eyed, average-height, fully-abled, cis-male, middle-class American citizen, I'm kind of spoiled for choice.

Did I miss any?
Tumblr tells me something about not being blind or deaf as well but that would likely fall under fully-abled. Now if you had a mental or emotional disorder you'd be on to something.

But that's just cray cray, white, heterosexual, blue-eyed, average-height, fully-abled, cis-male, middle-class gents don't have mental or emotional disorders we all know that
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #56471
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
I can name a few people who would disagree
Yeah, I don't want to hear from those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Your name could have changed when your (insert appropriate number of greats) grandfather immigrated here.
I've been poking around ancestry.com trying to trace records of my mother's family, but it's VERY hard to find information. My maternal grandparents were both first generation, and finding international records is tough, even with all the stuff available from Ellis Island. AFAIK my great grandparents maintained their names when they came over, but there's not really a lot of evidence either way. My grandmother's father was even a NYC cop and there are no records of him that I've been able to find.

Sucks, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I'm not sure how to feel about this.
Sorry to hear it. Best wishes to your family.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #56472
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

The surname Solis (my maiden name) is of Spanish origin and I believe it has something to do with the sun...or something like that...IDK. There's a sun on the coat of arms for my family. That's all I know.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #56473
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I should start eating dinner around this time, but I am so used to not eating until like 8-9pm I am not even that hungry right now.

Hng.
How do I reset my tummers.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #56474
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
When you have to say "I know it sounds pro-anorexia" it's time to rethink if you REALLY want to say what your thinking.

No more bullshit, Shinobi. I don't want to hear it. Keep it to yourself.
Where's that picture from? I've never seen or head of a professional ballerina that large who's obviously skilled/flexible AND en pointe. I've never seen a pro dancer who WASN'T thin in a major company, especially ballet (I'm not being skeptical here, I really am curious).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #56475
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

I want to chime in on debate but don't have anything to say really...

I once saw a video on youtube of a fat ballerina dancing to Crystal Castles. I mean thats just like all of my favourite things in one video, throw in some G1 transformers and it'd be perfect.

Unfortunately I couldn't find it, so this has been a very pointless message brought to you by fullbleed.
Quote:
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote