Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3196 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #56671
TheAnarCHris
Overrated
 
TheAnarCHris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 13,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Yeah, it's pretty pricey here. 10k/month isn't even the upper bound of possible apartments. I wouldn't even want to risk a guess at that upper bound. Lots of New Yorkers make lots of money. It's possible to live here and not make a lot of money though. I only pay $810/month in rent, and though I live perpetually broke, I get by. =) It's not so much that everyone's rich as it is that some people are rich. There's a very wide range of incomes and apartments.

Yeah, the Javits is far from the Bronx. The Javits is, in fact, frustratingly far from lots of things. xD The Bronx does have a bit of a bad reputation, but it mostly comes from just one or two neighborhoods. Every city has a few dangerous neighborhoods. New York as a whole actually ranks as one of the safest cities in the country.

Getting sick three days before the con...>.> Time for lots of orange juice and naps. I will not let this get in the way of my fun!
$810 for Manhattan? DAMN! I assume for a studio though?

And yeah, the Javitis sucks for many a reason, but it's literally the only place in NYC that you can hold large events. It's just a hassle to get to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I never realised how conditioned I am to hit the reload key in FPSs until I started playing a Mecromancer on Borderlands (I'm seriously considering remapping it). O_o
I AM EXCITED FOR THE MECHCRO, AND WILL ADVOID THE INTERNET ONCE IT GETS OUT THAT SHE'S A BRONY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Certainly they're more horrifying to look at.



That is legit a typical scene from Williamsburg.



JFC is it ever. In City terms, I mean. I always have to readjust my perception when I travel to other parts of the country where you have to drive 45 minutes across a mountain or whatever to get to the nearest grocery store, whereas living here traveling more than half an hour for anything is a giant frigging inconvenience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
My mom considered an apartment in NYC that was half a million.
Yes, a month.

It overlooked Central Park.


I will be sure to check Williamsburg off my places to visit.
Williamsburg is the worst/overhyped/a shitthole. I actually dont mind when crimes againist hipster occur, because they should know better than to do/what to pay to live there.
__________________
Stalk me on twitter! @theanarchris, THEN IMMEDIATELY REGRET YOUR DECISION!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #56672
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,073
This weekend our college is having a concert for the students. They had to purchase tickets, and only students from our college and the students from another college that dorm here are allowed in. A bunch of our staff is going to be on hand to cover medical emergencies, and the campus just got an email from the chief of campus police detailing how only the main entrance to the college will be open, non-resident visitors will not be allowed past 5pm, everyone has to move their cars across the campus to leave space open (for the cars that belong to people who aren't allowed on campus?), etc. etc. etc. They're taking some pretty intense security measures in case of fights, or people bringing weapons, or whatever else they might be anticipating when crowds of students get worked up with all this hippity-hoppity music and whatnot.

So who's performing at this major event? Fabolous.

__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #56673
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,881
Owww. Fuck. I/my teacher twisted my ankle in ballet.
...on the plus side, Dad's got a job again and I finally won on a scratch card after a losing streak of eight.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #56674
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
Me: Mom, why does PETA exist?
Mom: Because they have nothing better to do.

Okay, no offense to people who support PETA, but I am laughing so hard right now.
PETA is the bane of all the real animal rights people's causes. Thanks to them half the world thinks the rest of us are crazy...

In other news I clipped a pigs teeth, notched it's ears and gave it a shot of iron. Go meeee
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #56675
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,881
Clipped teeth? How do you do that and what's it for? Or is it like trimming horns but with a boar's tusks?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #56676
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Clipped teeth? How do you do that and what's it for? Or is it like trimming horns but with a boar's tusks?
The needle teeth are on baby piglets for the reason that in the wild the sow's udder is usually dragged on the ground and it gets all tough and hard so the teeth pinch at the udder to signal milk let down so the sow knows they wants to nurse. Now do the same with a domestic sow with a soft udder and she'll lie on her stomach and refuse to nurse them. They can also hurt their siblings so we just lop them off. Yea it pretty much is like clipping a boars tusks as it doesn't hurt but these teeth fall out after they are weaned. Which is obviously too late by then for these piglets.

For the record it's JUST the needle teeth we clip, they're the ones the piglets are born with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #56677
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Since I would rather not have my friends ask me questions about this constantly...I figured I'll post it here since everyone here is a stranger pretty much ^.^ I figure by putting my thoughts into writing, it will at least make me feel better

I'm not really one of those people who goes around having a crush or liking every single girl I see. It's been a few years since I have even liked anyone. Recently though I guess I have developed some feelings for a friend of mine :/ I guess the more we did things together, the more I saw her full personality and realize just how beautiful she was on the inside too. She's just one of the sweetest and nicest person I know.

It may sound like I'm making it up, but she really does fit the top personality traits that I'm looking for in a girl (kind, cares about family, non-smoker, doesn't drink all the time, wouldn't mind that I go to cos, etc.). People like that in general male or female or hard to come by. She is really a one of a kind person. When I found out that she had mentioned that I was so kind and sweet to her, that literally made my night and my week Although you would have to be a real jerk to not be nice to someone like her.

I'm about 99% sure that she knows I like her. I recently indirectly told her I liked her through a message. I really wanted to tell her directly, but everytime I wanted to, the situation at the time wasn't good There is a chance she didn't get a chance to see the message, but I think that is very unlikely. I haven't heard any type of response or reaction about the message yet sadly. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of people that like her though, since she is just overall one of the best person I know. There really is nothing not to like about her. Seeing her happy brightens my day, and seeing her unhappy makes me unhappy. She really deserves nothing but the best with everything she has to go through.

Even before I told her that I liked her though, I was losing a little sleep thinking about it. I think a response, even a negative one, would at least give me enough closure to not think about it so much. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it now, but it has been a while since i have felt like this about someone

I just really had to get my thoughts out there for someone to know. It makes it a little less painful. Thanks to those who actually took the time to read this. I really do appreciate it
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #56678
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
This weekend our college is having a concert for the students. They had to purchase tickets, and only students from our college and the students from another college that dorm here are allowed in. A bunch of our staff is going to be on hand to cover medical emergencies, and the campus just got an email from the chief of campus police detailing how only the main entrance to the college will be open, non-resident visitors will not be allowed past 5pm, everyone has to move their cars across the campus to leave space open (for the cars that belong to people who aren't allowed on campus?), etc. etc. etc. They're taking some pretty intense security measures in case of fights, or people bringing weapons, or whatever else they might be anticipating when crowds of students get worked up with all this hippity-hoppity music and whatnot.

So who's performing at this major event? Fabolous.

I don't listen to Rap so I haven't a clue who he is.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #56679
Kildread
I can fix it!
 
Kildread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
And $10,000/mo for rent would not surprise me at all, for some of the upscale areas in the city. $10,000 annually WOULD surprise me, because where the hell can you get a spot in the city for less than $1,000 a month? If you can, it's probably barely habitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Yeah, it's pretty pricey here. 10k/month isn't even the upper bound of possible apartments. I wouldn't even want to risk a guess at that upper bound. Lots of New Yorkers make lots of money. It's possible to live here and not make a lot of money though. I only pay $810/month in rent, and though I live perpetually broke, I get by. =) It's not so much that everyone's rich as it is that some people are rich. There's a very wide range of incomes and apartments.
It's probably because I don't literally fart out money that it's impossible for me to fathom what kind of accomodations would warrant a 10K a month rent. Admittedly, I've never lived in a big, central city and getting an apartment the size I have right now (2 floors with 2 bedrooms) would be more than twice what I pay right now (575$ a month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
ETA: Kilz, I don't know what that map was showing you, but the Javits isn't really all that close to the Bronx, and is in fact in one of the overall more decent neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
The Bronx is a way's off from the Javitis, and the crime rate there is overrated, like PD said. Honestly the hipster parts of Brooklyn are more dangerous than the majority of the Bronx. Fear not, you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Yeah, the Javits is far from the Bronx. The Javits is, in fact, frustratingly far from lots of things. xD The Bronx does have a bit of a bad reputation, but it mostly comes from just one or two neighborhoods. Every city has a few dangerous neighborhoods. New York as a whole actually ranks as one of the safest cities in the country.
*awkward cough*

I was making a silly statement about that part of NY that is labeled as very bad by mainstream media. I was actually looking at the surrounding area and paths for the whole airport/hotel ordeal.

Irony(?): I live in the part of the city that tends to be called "le bronx de St-Georges".

Quote:
Originally Posted by eebee View Post
Getting sick three days before the con...>.> Time for lots of orange juice and naps. I will not let this get in the way of my fun!
I am absolutely terrified at the possibility of being sick before a con, everything is booked, plenty of expenses can't be cancelled out of --- it would suck. Hope you get better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Don't know who it is, just seeing the whole "rapper" thing with the warning of possible violence and increased security amuses me. I guess it goes with the rapper culture, eh? </Perpetuating the stereotypes>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
I'm about 99% sure that she knows I like her. I recently indirectly told her I liked her through a message. I really wanted to tell her directly, but everytime I wanted to, the situation at the time wasn't good
I know it's hard to say those things directly due to the possible damage and uncertainty it can bring --- but while you're being indirect, don't expect to get a straight reply. (You might not get one even if you're direct, but that's another matter entirely.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Even before I told her that I liked her though, I was losing a little sleep thinking about it. I think a response, even a negative one, would at least give me enough closure to not think about it so much.
My suggestion is, either tell her directly or make your peace right now. Silence tends to be foretelling in those matters. Just pretend you were given one, or more of the following:

-I think of you as a friend.
-I thought you were kidding, didn't think you wanted an answer.
-You and me? Bwah, never!
-I already have someone in my life, you didn't know?

Getting an answer doesn't provide the amount of closure you might think it does... but it removes the whole "I spent so much time fretting on this" aspect of it early on in the process and fretting on it is exactly what you're doing now.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #56680
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
I AM EXCITED FOR THE MECHCRO, AND WILL ADVOID THE INTERNET ONCE IT GETS OUT THAT SHE'S A BRONY.
Does someone technically count as a Brony when they're a teenaged girl (apparently she has the same VA as Patti from Soul Eater and Lucy from Fairy Tail)?
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #56681
dx7879
King of the Pirates!
 
dx7879's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I know it's hard to say those things directly due to the possible damage and uncertainty it can bring --- but while you're being indirect, don't expect to get a straight reply. (You might not get one even if you're direct, but that's another matter entirely.)
I appreciate that you took the time to read my post and reply. Thanks. I wasn't worry about the damage to me if I was to say it directly, but the 2 times I wanted to say something it was not a good time at all. I didn't want her to have more thoughts going through her mind, when she was so upset already I ended up just sending a really long message to her which I didn't want to do, but I didn't want to have to wait for who knows how long for a so called "right moment". In some ways though I think the message got all the points across at least


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
My suggestion is, either tell her directly or make your peace right now. Silence tends to be foretelling in those matters. Just pretend you were given one, or more of the following:

-I think of you as a friend.
-I thought you were kidding, didn't think you wanted an answer.
-You and me? Bwah, never!
-I already have someone in my life, you didn't know?

Getting an answer doesn't provide the amount of closure you might think it does... but it removes the whole "I spent so much time fretting on this" aspect of it early on in the process and fretting on it is exactly what you're doing now.
It'll give me enough closure, that I will eventually be able to move on. Sure something like what you posted would be painful, but at least I would know. Sure we may not be as close friends after something like that, but I don't think we would stop being friends. I do think the direct method is best, but it ended up not happening. I really didn't want to post this on Facebook due to the fact that my friends will just keep bothering me about it. It's nice to get it out there in some way though
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #56682
Kildread
I can fix it!
 
Kildread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Does someone technically count as a Brony when they're a teenaged girl (apparently she has the same VA as Patti from Soul Eater and Lucy from Fairy Tail)?
I haven't looked into Borderlands 2 stuff yet (In spite of owning the game), but I might be one of the few who read that initial mention as "Mech-Romancer" as in, one who romances robots.

Because, rawr, that's hawt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
It'll give me enough closure, that I will eventually be able to move on. Sure something like what you posted would be painful, but at least I would know. Sure we may not be as close friends after something like that, but I don't think we would stop being friends. I do think the direct method is best, but it ended up not happening. I really didn't want to post this on Facebook due to the fact that my friends will just keep bothering me about it. It's nice to get it out there in some way though
Well, I hope for your sake that you handle that stuff better than I do!
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #56683
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON
 
StarsCASSiOPEiA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
I saw PETA's parody of a Pokemon game. I'm not going to lie, my jimmies are quite rustled at the moment.
There are so many factual inaccuracies in that game too. Ash's Pikachu doesn't speak English; that's Meowth and Mewtwo. Pikachu also doesn't have a Pokeball he has to return to. And then there's the matter of Ash making 'boatloads of cash'-- back when I was little and Season 1 was on, I seem to remember Ash being perpetually poor?

Pff. Do your research. (But hey, what do you expect from these guys, right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I hate cold weather. I mean, I love snow and ice because they're beautiful, but I hate going outside in cold weather without snow or ice.

I also think I've been away from friends for way too long. Usually when I start getting sad or upset it's because I don't have any events to reflect on so I just start feeling bad about myself for one reason or another. So I think tonight calls for happy music and my favorite episode of Yumeiro Patissiere.
Same here. Cold is so much better when it's pretty and snow-y.

Also, sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I hate cold weather. I mean, I love snow and ice because they're beautiful, but I hate going outside in cold weather without snow or ice.

I also think I've been away from friends for way too long. Usually when I start getting sad or upset it's because I don't have any events to reflect on so I just start feeling bad about myself for one reason or another. So I think tonight calls for happy music and my favorite episode of Yumeiro Patissiere.
Same here. Cold is so much better when it's pretty and snow-y.

Also, sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
In other news I clipped a pigs teeth, notched it's ears and gave it a shot of iron. Go meeee
That's really cool! I learned something today from your rather informative post. ^^

(My laptop seems to think that I'm constantly clicking in and out of this text box too, and thus skips letters/makes it super hard to type. This is weird. Wonder what the real problem is...)
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Fancy Mewtwo Gijinka (Cowslip Gijinka): 33% (Wig Styling) Otakon 2014
  • Secret Cosplay (???): 100% (Ready!) Otakon 2014
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #56684
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
A few years ago I was envious of art I saw online, and resigned myself to never being capable of doing what they did.

Now I look at the same imagines and understand how they did what they've done and understand the process by looking at it. With some of these old pictures I remember I may not be able to complete the same level of work as the original artist, but I understand their process and can break it down. With some of them I see that they're actually not very good at all, the anatomy is really shoddy and the proportions are completely skewed.

It makes me feel kind of odd how much someone can change in a short time.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #56685
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin
 
UsakoLuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,756
I learned something I did not know about pigs! Thanks spaz!

I'm so hungy. I'm going to die
__________________
Wanna hear me ramble?
@usakoluna
Amusement of A Princess
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.