Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3953 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #58921
PrincessKaori87
Caffeine addict

My arm is itchy.

Me on Twitter
Me on deviantART
Me on Facebook
PrincessKaori87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #58922
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Again, completely standard over here to charge for bags. It's to cut down on plastic bag usage and the huge amount of landfill that it produces.

But you use paper bags though don't you? See I'd think that was better because it means it can be recycled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #58923
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Again, completely standard over here to charge for bags. It's to cut down on plastic bag usage and the huge amount of landfill that it produces.

But you use paper bags though don't you? See I'd think that was better because it means it can be recycled.
Paper bags are very rarely used anymore, at least at places like Walmart or Target (strictly US company, but I hear it's expanding to Canada) and drug stores. I have only seen paper bags offered at places like farmers markets or places that operate solely as grocery stores and you have to specifically request paper bags otherwise you get plastic.

Apparently it's so unheard of for any of this in the states that the ladies in front of us where pissed off enough that they looked ready to file a complaint about it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #58924
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

I went to my half-brother's birthday party today.

Party hats are attractive.
Goldfish are yummy.

Now...back to work!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #58925
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
To charge for the carts?
Technically you get the coin back when you return the trolly (It's to make sure people do).

Here it "costs" a whole pound coin.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #58926
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Technically you get the coin back when you return the trolly (It's to make sure people do).

Here it "costs" a whole pound coin.
I think that's something around 2USD...it was only a quarter to rent the trolley at Aldis so uh..conversion and what not.

It wasn't anything weird to me because I thought it was a good idea anyway but I had to laugh at Brando who didn't read the sign outside in front of the cart corral thingy and he was baffled by it.

Brando is not always super observant.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #58927
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
I think that's something around 2USD...it was only a quarter to rent the trolley at Aldis so uh..conversion and what not.

It wasn't anything weird to me because I thought it was a good idea anyway but I had to laugh at Brando who didn't read the sign outside in front of the cart corral thingy and he was baffled by it.

They probably couldn't ask for more than a quarter in the US, since that's the highest value coin you guys have (which is actually in common usage)

A few stores in Canada require quarter for their shopping carts, but is seems that putting locks on the wheels which engage if taken off property is the popular way to stop people from stealing them nowadays.

Also, charging 5 cents for plastic bags is standard in Toronto. It's less common but not unheard-of in the rest of the province (it was a local law here for several years; not anymore, but everywhere still charges).
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #58928
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I am that asshole who likes to ruin hipstery/deep sounding statuses on fb... yep
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #58929
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

Ate too much for dinner...I think I need to start exercising more and dieting...On the other hand, I don't seem to ever gain weight from my crappy eating ^.^
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #58930
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Paper bags are very rarely used anymore, at least at places like Walmart or Target (strictly US company, but I hear it's expanding to Canada) and drug stores. I have only seen paper bags offered at places like farmers markets or places that operate solely as grocery stores and you have to specifically request paper bags otherwise you get plastic.

Apparently it's so unheard of for any of this in the states that the ladies in front of us where pissed off enough that they looked ready to file a complaint about it.
Yeah, Target took over Zellers (basically the Canadian version of Walmart) here and they're turning all the former Zellers stores into Targets. Also, I find the "bag tax" ridiculous. It was told to people that it evidently would be collected for recycling costs or to the government or whatnot here, and no, that's a load of bunk. It goes right into the store's pockets. It costs about half a cent at most to make a plastic bag and they're making us pay a nickel for one, and frankly I find it sickening that we're basically just handing over that much more money to the store for something that hardly even registers on their expenses. And who DOESN'T r-use their plastic bags? I use them for the garbage cans, grocery shopping, carrying stuff in/keeping stuff in, and I cut one open to catch wig hairs when I cut them...
And on paper bags, I only see them at some clothing and makeup stores, LCBO which I HATE because I can't carry them properly and am paranoid of the alcohol bottles breaking through the paper, and some gift shops. I don't like paper bags at all unless they're the fancy kind with twine handles on them. They're not as strong as plastic and I can rarely carry them comfortably. And I'd be less annoyed with the reusable cloth ones if they made ones WITHOUT giant handles that mean my short legs and long arms=bag drags on the ground unless I bend my arm or tie the handles shorter.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #58931
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Quote:

About $1.60 to $1.75, depending on what the economy's like. My mum used to have some sort of pound shaped thing she used instead (it clipped to her keyring), but I think that was just a novelty she found somewhere. I don't think anyone else uses them.

Also; most supermarkets offer reward points (do you have "nectar points" in the USA?) for people who reuse their bags and replace worn reusable bags for free.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #58932
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've never heard of that, myself. Closest thing I've seen was when I was in college (well, the first time... though I won't know til February if I got in to my school of choice), if you brought your own utensils and plate you got a measly ten cents off your food when a legit meal started at about six bucks- no surprise, few students bothered.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #58933
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

@Shinobi- I actually thought plastic was weaker. To me it's a lot easier to tear with your fingers, and if you have ANYTHING pointy in any way it WILL poke through and break the bag. And while plastic contains water, there are little holes at the bottom (as my friend who tried to shower with a cast or something on found out) while paper bags at least you'd see a spreading stain.
Unless it's one of those nice plastic bags from, say, clothing stores. That's different.
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #58934
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

But a plastic bag can stretch before breaking, as opposed to just ripping right through like paper, at LEAST giving some warning that it's too heavy. I've lost several glass bottles of expensive soda from the store giving them to me in paper bags that I couldn't even properly carry. It's not so big a propblem with fancy ones that have cardboard on a flat bottom, but I never carry anything actually HEAVY in those, because only clothes stores appear to use them. The standard grocery paper bags are FLIM-SY and I always ask for plastic if someone tries to put anything more than a couple ounces in a paper bag.
Unread 11-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #58935
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Aren't you supposed to carry those from the bottom?

Anyway, SOLUTION:

:'D

I actually feel like those would be a pain to carry around. But then again you could stick it in a cart/basket while you're shopping so I guess not. Hmm.