Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2912 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #60391
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Ed Elric
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #60392
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

I have really little regard for the quality of the coffee I drink. I haven't reached a point in my life where I'm drinking it to savor carefully roasted beans that were meticulously grinded and imported from CoffeeNarnia, Peru; I just want to not hate every customer I interact with at work, and maybe be able to do simple subtraction in my head. The only thing that's utterly repelled me was McDonald's coffee, but I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement that McCoffee is black bile in a cup unceremoniously hacked up by whatever employee was saddest that morning. I could feel the ulcers forming where my stomach lining and hopes used to be.

Tim Horton's up here is better than DD, which I've been told is reversed once you hit New Hampshire or Massachusetts. But overall, so long as there's cream to confuse your tastetuds providing the taste is terrible, I can get by pretty well on either.
Drysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #60393
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
What exactly IS appropriate to do when gifting in this sort of scenario?
"Neutral" gifts like books and art supplies are usually pretty safe. One of my favorite books as a (skirts-and-dresses-only-wearing, pink-and-lavender-loving, please-cover-everything-with-rainbows-and-unicorns) little girl was Eloise, by Kay Thompson.

This Christmas I'm getting SV's sister's kids matching pajamas with a penguin print and a toy each; I'm thinking of making a "quiet book" for the girl and trying to come up with an appropriate handmade gift for the boy, who's on the youngish side of 5 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysi View Post
I have really little regard for the quality of the coffee I drink. I haven't reached a point in my life where I'm drinking it to savor carefully roasted beans that were meticulously grinded and imported from CoffeeNarnia, Peru; I just want to not hate every customer I interact with at work, and maybe be able to do simple subtraction in my head. The only thing that's utterly repelled me was McDonald's coffee, but I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement that McCoffee is black bile in a cup unceremoniously hacked up by whatever employee was saddest that morning. I could feel the ulcers forming where my stomach lining and hopes used to be.

Tim Horton's up here is better than DD, which I've been told is reversed once you hit New Hampshire or Massachusetts. But overall, so long as there's cream to confuse your tastetuds providing the taste is terrible, I can get by pretty well on either.
I wouldn't know good coffee if it bit me in the ass; I just know some things taste better than others to me. Like I said, though, I usually have so much cream and sugar in there that it's basically just coffee-flavored beverage.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #60394
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
"Neutral" gifts like books and art supplies are usually pretty safe. One of my favorite books as a (skirts-and-dresses-only-wearing, pink-and-lavender-loving, please-cover-everything-with-rainbows-and-unicorns) little girl was Eloise, by Kay Thompson.

This Christmas I'm getting SV's sister's kids matching pajamas with a penguin print and a toy each; I'm thinking of making a "quiet book" for the girl and trying to come up with an appropriate handmade gift for the boy, who's on the youngish side of 5 now.
Thank you ^^
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #60395
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
But what should we expect from the geniuses who brought us this.
http://youtu.be/bTub2tSCDT0
Eidos was bought by Square-Enix, weren't they? </Totally baseless>

But yeah, the marketing of Hitman:Absolution was ass, so is the marketing of Tomb Raider.

Both games are likely going to be pretty cool (Confirmed on Absolution's part from my experience playing it), it's just marketing being nutjobs.

...even if Absolution actually does feature fetish nuns with guns...
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #60396
Kildread
I can fix it!

RE: Coffee in New Hampshire.

I'm in NH right now and the only thing I bought is a Wii-U. </Loosely related>
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #60397
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
RE: Coffee in New Hampshire.

I'm in NH right now and the only thing I bought is a Wii-U. </Loosely related>
Tax freee~?
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #60398
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Tax freee~?
HELL YES. The entire reason I got it here.

That's 80$ or so less than I'd pay back in Quebec
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #60399
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Emmers: I was (and still am) a girly girl and I had Legos growing up. I liked them.
Art supplies are always good and books. (You could look for one showing a girl doing things that aren't traditional "girl" things. I can't name any at the moment but they exist).

But blocks of any kind are a good choice - they promote spatial reasoning and motor skills. I think every child needs a set of some kind of blocks/Lincoln logs/building set.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #60400
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I wouldn't know good coffee if it bit me in the ass; I just know some things taste better than others to me. Like I said, though, I usually have so much cream and sugar in there that it's basically just coffee-flavored beverage.
That's exactly what I do, ahaha. With all of it I drink, I feel like diabetes is a more of a realistic, impending threat than a caffeine overdose. I'm just enjoying sweet things while I still have my left foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
HELL YES. The entire reason I got it here.

That's 80$ or so less than I'd pay back in Quebec
Are you serious? If the slight difference in Canadian and US dollar isn't being accounted in that, I'm making trips to NH to get stuff from now on. I understand you're hit hard in property and furniture expenses to compensate for luxury and food items being tax-free, but so long as I'm not living there...
*Prepares to squat for the long winter in NH*
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #60401
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Tax freee~?
Live free or die, baby.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #60402
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
What exactly IS appropriate to do when gifting in this sort of scenario?
I think that books are always a safe bet in terms of keeping gifts pretty gender-neutral. I also think that art supplies are a good idea; I can't imagine that the extended family would have a problem with it. Jigsaw puzzles can be good too. What about a plush of her favourite animal (in lieu of a baby doll or Barbie)?
Personally I think that LEGO is a great idea (though the DUPLO sized blocks might be more age appropriate) but since the family is really into traditional gender roles I wouldn't (at least not without getting the girl-marketed sets, which you've already said you don't want to do).
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #60403
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
I think that books are always a safe bet in terms of keeping gifts pretty gender-neutral. I also think that art supplies are a good idea; I can't imagine that the extended family would have a problem with it. Jigsaw puzzles can be good too. What about a plush of her favourite animal (in lieu of a baby doll or Barbie)?
Personally I think that LEGO is a great idea (though the DUPLO sized blocks might be more age appropriate) but since the family is really into traditional gender roles I wouldn't (at least not without getting the girl-marketed sets, which you've already said you don't want to do).
It's hard to know what would and wouldn't be seen as acceptable just because some of the things I've heard said can lean into a very conservative female role and things like LEGO's (of various age appropriate sizes) may or may not be seen as 'appropriate' for a girl.

She literally has so many toys like plushes and dolls I want to try and give her something more hands-on and developmental. I am not against a plush or anything, it's just she has SO MANY already but doesn't have many things like building games or art-related stuff.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #60404
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Oh, and to chime in on the gifting debate, Lithium;
Because I agree with everything everyone's saying about art supplies, legos, and books generally being pretty safe gifts, I won't labor that idea further. I was thinking, though, do you think her parents would approve of you maybe getting her a Miyazaki film or something? Being part of the Disney conglomerate might soften the idea, and you know how Miyazaki is with his female protagonists. Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, or Ponyo might be good ideas? Even The Cat Returns or Arietty (though Arietty might be a little heavy for her). Something geared towards her age group with lead female characters doing things western heroines typically don't, like live on their own, follow their hearts (particularly in the face of opposition), become successful and strong because they have goals and ideals, and pursue what they love and makes them happy. All his protagonists are visibly feminine in design, but not overwhelmingly so, and his messages are positive and feminist without blatancy that might cause conservative individuals like Brandon's family to feel like the themes portray burn-yer-bras-and-read-the-SCUM-Manifesto feminazism.
Unread 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #60405
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Are you serious? If the slight difference in Canadian and US dollar isn't being accounted in that, I'm making trips to NH to get stuff from now on. I understand you're hit hard in property and furniture expenses to compensate for luxury and food items being tax-free, but so long as I'm not living there...
*Prepares to squat for the long winter in NH*
It's just that bad, yup. Take any purchase that isn't food (Necessary, not luxury foods) and you need to add roughly 16% sales tax on it in Quebec. Add to that the new fangled electronics tax they added recently (Which I'm not sure applies to game consoles) and it's even worse.

The difference in CDN and USD is very negligible right now -- has been for a while. It barely shows, so long as the credit company does the conversion and not any US banks. Exchange rate is 1.007 right now, but the machine at Toys 'R Us said the exchange rate was 1.02, which is a lie.