Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4007 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #61801
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm still unable to bend over or whip my head around without a dizzy spell, but NOW I actually do feel like I have congestion in my ears. Now if only I knew what the hell was causing it. X_X And I have to work tomorrow. oooog. And I really can't skip work because I both need the money AND I have some important things to ask the manager about.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #61802
Headphone Actor
Local KagePro loser

So, I have a legit question, but I don't think it merits its own thread, so I will ask here. When someone on the Internet calls you hunny, darling, or sweetie, do you find it offensive or condescending? I recently got chewed out for doing so, and I was not trying to be rude at all! That is just how I am. But should I be more aware of it, or was the other person overreacting? I really want honest opinions.
And all at once, I know everything is gone

Last edited by Headphone Actor : 12-30-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Headphone Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #61803
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtakuSpark View Post
So, I have a legit question, but I don't think it merits its own thread, so I will ask here. When someone on the Internet calls you hinny, darling, or sweetie, do you find it offensive or condescending? I recently got chewed out for doing so, and I was not trying to be rude at all! That is just how I am. But should I be more aware of it, or was the other person overreacting? I really want honest opinions.
Some people may feel it's condescending, I personally wold not really appreciate it but I believe in context I am able to tell if someone is being patronizing or sarcastic when calling me by an 'affectionate pet name'. If it was something that bothered me but was not intended to be patronizing I would address the person and just let them know I would prefer not to be addressed as such.

If it was something someone was saying to me in a patronizing or condescending way intentionally then I would be more inclined to 'chew them out' for it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #61804
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
So, I have a legit question, but I don't think it merits its own thread, so I will ask here. When someone on the Internet calls you hunny, darling, or sweetie, do you find it offensive or condescending? I recently got chewed out for doing so, and I was not trying to be rude at all! That is just how I am. But should I be more aware of it, or was the other person overreacting? I really want honest opinions.
I really don't like it when anyone uses those terms towards me whether it's online, over the phone or in person. I find it condescending and overly familiar, and often fight the urge to tell people I'm not their sweetheart (or whatever term they're using). I don't recall ever calling people out on using pet-names like that though, pretty much because it takes a LOT of aggravation for me to initiate a confrontation, and because I know that most of the time they're not intending to be insulting.
But for my money, the only people allowed to call me nicknames like that are people who are very close friends. Even my family doesn't call me anything aside from my given name.
Unread 12-30-2012, 03:32 AM   #61805
mmmeggg
I do as I please.

I'm going back up en pointe next month for the first time in a few years! Super excited. I don't remember if I mentioned that in my last post and tbh I'm too lazy to go check.

Also, my beautiful babies, I hope you all recover quickly from your dastardly colds! :c
Friday: Battle Bunny Riven (League of Legends)
Saturday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Sunday: Meg Masters (Supernatural)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.

Formerly Clementine.
mmmeggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #61806
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I find it really weird coming from anyone who is not a woman over the age of forty-five, but that's just me. This practice seems to be common among younger women who know each other well enough to do so. Familiarity is key; doing it offhand always reads as condescension to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #61807
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I call all my friends Hun or sweetie, but try to avoid doing the same to strangers or coworkers.

I don't find it condescending when someone does it to me. But I'm pretty easy going about a lot of random term of endearment
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #61808
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

The only time I really use 'hun' or 'sweetie' is when I'm talking to little kids whose names I don't know. For example, I volunteer at a Girl Scout camp every summer for a week, and there are 200+ girls. Sometimes I'll have to ask a girl I don't know something, and 'Hey sweetie' sounds a lot better than 'Hey you'.

Sometimes I'll do it with my friends too, but the terms of so called 'endearment' are more like 'Hey derpface'.

If someone else called me 'sweetie' who didn't really know me, I'd have to make a judgement based on their tone if it was condescending or not. It's a lot harder in text form to tell.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #61809
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I tend to say hun and sweetie to people I know, but I can't stand it when someone I hate says it to me, mostly this one person because she was SO condescending when she did it...

I also do it when am sympathizing or feel badly for someone and I don't know what else to do.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #61810
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Woohoo! I'm not dizzy anymore!
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #61811
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

So... spongebob is still a running series ._.
Unread 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #61812
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

I just got back from buying my new laptop.

My dad didn't manage to get a discount (like he thought he would), but he did manage to avoid the shop's 2-hour-sales-pitch-for-stuff-I-won't-need.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #61813
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Girlfriend's sister needs to stop putting the heat up to 70 before bed. She's going to use all their oil and its not even at the coldest part of the winter.

If you're cold put on a sweater. If you're still cold THEN turn up the heat. That has been Gf's rule for years (she stole it from my mom) and it has saved so much money.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #61814
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Girlfriend's sister needs to stop putting the heat up to 70 before bed. She's going to use all their oil and its not even at the coldest part of the winter.

If you're cold put on a sweater. If you're still cold THEN turn up the heat. That has been Gf's rule for years (she stole it from my mom) and it has saved so much money.
Tell her to buy a heating blanket, works for me. I think they're selling them at Target for a good price.
Unread 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #61815
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Tell her to buy a heating blanket, works for me. I think they're selling them at Target for a good price.
She seems to think that because their mom filled their tank once that she'll do it again and again all winter. And she sleeps in a tank top and shorts and refuses to get a heated blanket or even just another blanket. Spoiled brat.

Gf told her not to put the heat above 67. It's a smallish apartment with all new insulation. Once you take the chill off its nice and cozy.
My Cat's Tumblr