Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4006 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #63766
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Sunday night it was snowing heavily and it turned to sleet. Now it's 50 and raining. Lol, Michigan.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #63767
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
if you ever want to hear why Yuna/Bayonetta/Chell are the trifecta of good female characters
Because I'm stupid and like arguing semantics: Good is a matter of perspective.

Chell is the only one of the bunch that doesn't somehow resemble someone's fantasy for me, but that's because she takes after Gordon Freeman in being a cardboard prop on wheels with a gun taped to the front that people somehow adulate.

(The HL episode games have weirded me out a little with the entire deal about idolizing Freeman)

---

Arguing silly terms aside, I haven't went to a lot of cons (so this isn't very meaningful) --- PAX East is the best one I've ever went to.

Objectively-speaking, this is because I love gaming, I'm not sure what appeal it would have for non-gamers.

Last edited by Kildread : 01-29-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Kildread is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #63768
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
I've seen had Lemongrab involved and that dude only has 2 settings -creepy-weird, or hilarious. It's hard to hate on anyone who'll eat a pie out of a K.O.ed giant rat.
I tend not to "get" any hugely popular shows due to the limited exposure I get from the internet. I've seen weird out-of-context GIFs of it (The art is baaaadddd) and little morsels like the bolded part above that give me a skewed perspective on the show.

Like Archer, it feels like it's all the rage, but all the clips I've seen linked to were plain strange and unrelated to each other :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I really wish I enjoyed creepypastas more. So many of them feel like they're trying too hard.
I feel this way about any sites used to collect stories --- at one point it feels less like a creative outlet than a majority of pieces being written simply to "one up" some other story :/

This is even worse when it comes to "Shit otaku say", "absurd retail stories" and the like.

Quote:
As for GoT, I have enjoyed the books I've read but the show is, in many ways, superior. That actually makes me happy. I can get more enjoyment out of the show and don't have to spend my precious time on 600 pages of filler.
That's the first I hear about it --- everyone so far has told me I'd enjoy the books moreso than I did the first season of the show (I didn't).

Last edited by Kildread : 01-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #63769
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Chell is the only one of the bunch that doesn't somehow resemble someone's fantasy for me, but that's because she takes after Gordon Freeman in being a cardboard prop on wheels with a gun taped to the front that people somehow adulate.
XD Yeah, Chell isn't exactly Ms. Personality. OTOH - I do appreciate that Valve went against the kneejerk "default" gender for their MC.

Fang in FFXIII was a good female character.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #63770
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I like Chell, but she really isn't a well developed character. She's stubborn and made a potato battery - pretty much entire backstory.

It is neat that she's a girl, just because there aren't a lot of girl game characters.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #63771
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
I feel this way about any sites used to collect stories --- at one point it feels less like a creative outlet than a majority of pieces being written simply to "one up" some other story :/

This is even worse when it comes to "Shit otaku say", "absurd retail stories" and the like.
Creepypasta bugs me because it's presumably horror writing, but it so often comes off as the literary version of the straight-to-video B slasher movies you'd find at Blockbuster. There's so much good horror writing out there, I don't see the point in bothering with creepypasta. And if you're going to write creepypasta, why don't you read some good horror lit first and take your cues from there so you can create an effective piece, rather than just WHO WAS PHONE?

Quote:
That's the first I hear about it --- everyone so far has told me I'd enjoy the books moreso than I did the first season of the show (I didn't).
You might, but I get the feeling the books wouldn't be your thing any more than the show is.

It's rare that I prefer the film or television adaptation of a book, but to me the GoT show condenses the good parts of the novels and leaves out most of the pap. Plus, the cast is just tremendous, there are SO MANY good performances and they're all terribly attractive. Plus, because it's television they can't get quite as graphic as the novels, even in HBO, which works in my favor since I have a really hard time reading some of the especially violent parts of the books. On the other hand, the sex on the show might be even more gratuitious than the books.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #63772
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
It is neat that she's a girl, just because there aren't a lot of girl game characters.
Well, not a lot of main characters, anyway. Actually the best female character in Portal is GLaDOS.

Last edited by The Hag : 01-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #63773
sam vimes
A real live wire

Best female character, right here.

Kildread knows what I'm talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #63774
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Well, not a lot of main characters, anyway. Actually the best female character in Portal is GlLaDOS.

I love GLaDOS. I feel like my life be improved by a snarky computer mocking me.
Just mocking. I'd never survive those tests or the neurotoxins.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #63775
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

Best female character, right here.

Kildread knows what I'm talking about!
Dude, I love the irony of your image coming up as broken as a meta way of saying there isn't any.

But yes, Karin Koenig is great for several reasons which also involve spoilers.
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #63776
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Got a sketch and basic color scheme out for the girl I want to draw for the artbook. I am not really sure if I am 'allowed' to post the sketches up since we're discouraged from putting up the fully completed work until after the project is done. Cuz that kinda defeats the purpose of people buying the book if they can see it all online >>'
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #63777
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Dude, I love the irony of your image coming up as broken as a meta way of saying there isn't any.

But yes, Karin Koenig is great for several reasons which also involve spoilers.
Shit, I can see it. Does this mean that I'm doomed to see no pictures at work except my own?

Quote:
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #63778
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Shit, I can see it. Does this mean that I'm doomed to see no pictures at work except my own?
It's showing up now, but it wasn't at first.
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #63779
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
And if you're going to write creepypasta, why don't you read some good horror lit first and take your cues from there so you can create an effective piece, rather than just WHO WAS PHONE?
Would it be presumptuous of me to say that the reason for this is that the majority of creepypasta users read mostly... creepypasta? Yes, it is presumptuous.

Quote:
On the other hand, the sex on the show might be even more gratuitious than the books.
Whoa.

Quote:
Well, not a lot of main characters, anyway. Actually the best female character in Portal is GLaDOS.
Wait, so no-longer-female characters count? Shayle is the best.

Quote:
Pretty sure it's the website it's on --- it shows up after looking up the link directly (Pulling it from browser cache, likely). That's usually a protection against direct-linking.
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #63780
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Would it be presumptuous of me to say that the reason for this is that the majority of creepypasta users read mostly... creepypasta? Yes, it is presumptuous.
Accurate, more likely.

Quote:
Whoa.
The term "sexposition" was coined in direct response to the show.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote