Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3812 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #64651
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx7879 View Post
Lol, friend just asked me if I would get her a Valentine's gift, and I said no XD If I have to get all my female friends a Valentine's gift, I might go broke! I have never gotten just friends gifts for Valentine's day. No Birthdays either, unless they have a party or I see them on the day of their Birthday. Sorry friends
XDDDD I totally know how you feel. I'd never done anything for Valentine's Day until last year, when all my friends brought in stuff and I'm like, "Oh shoot!"
So I made blondies a few days later.
It wasn't until like.....middle school that I had people I was close enough to get birthday gifts when they didn't have a birthday party (though they usually did), so I've never had the birthday problem....
As a general rule for myself, though, I only really get gifts for my closest friends.

And now that I have to worry about money (since there are 4-5 best friends) I end up baking things.
I'm making chocolate eclairs tomorrow to bring on Tuesday, since one of my friends is giving up sweets and such for Lent and Wednesday is Ash Wednesday.....

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #64652
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

The glasses I got for my 10th doctor cosplay are cheap Target glasses with +1.00 power. While I can see fine wearing them, I get a headache after a short time. Apparently, my eyesight is so good, I can't handle even low power glasses. I'm thinking I'll only put them on for photos or maybe remove the lenses and just wear frames.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #64653
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I'd just pop out the lenses. That way you don't queasy and you don't have to worry about glare in photographs.

My cat just made the cutest annoyed noise.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #64654
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Who asks for a gift? You're doing it wrong, if you have to ask for a gift, then it isn't a gift anymore is it?
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #64655
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

So this guy I recently met asked me out. I really can't bring myself to say yes even though there is nothing wrong with him. It's just I've been single for so long that I'm become very comfortable in it. Also after the workplace harassment I experienced, I've had a general uneasiness around black guys. I don't like feeling that way but I really can't help it, it was a very traumatic experience.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #64656
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

I was at a Chinese New Year party where they were doing a raffle. Best prize of the night? A medium sized golden Buddha statue to attract money and good luck. The moment I saw it, I said, "Yup. I'm gonna win this one." Not five seconds later, my raffle ticket number was called.

... Many shameless Buddha puns were made promptly afterwards. NO REGRETS.
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #64657
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
I was at a Chinese New Year party where they were doing a raffle. Best prize of the night? A medium sized golden Buddha statue to attract money and good luck. The moment I saw it, I said, "Yup. I'm gonna win this one." Not five seconds later, my raffle ticket number was called.

... Many shameless Buddha puns were made promptly afterwards. NO REGRETS.
Was it a "fat Buddha"? I'm taking Asian art history right now and I learned those are not actually Buddhas but Chinese immortals. Apparently a lot of Chinese people are unaware of this. Just thought I'd share that information.

Unread 02-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #64658
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Was it a "fat Buddha"? I'm taking Asian art history right now and I learned those are not actually Buddhas but Chinese immortals. Apparently a lot of Chinese people are unaware of this. Just thought I'd share that information.
Yup, it sure is a fat one. I know they're not really actual Buddhas, but I wanted to make shameless puns because I can never pass up horrible puns. I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME.

Yet this also reminds me of something else I learned there... sort of. They gave out fortune cookies. I was then inspired to look up fortune cookie history and found out that they are actually a Japanese-American invention that was popularized during WWII. I also found out that fortune cookies aren't even really sold in China because they're "too American." This history amuses me to no end, that it does.
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #64659
Yavarice
Skymoose

I just learned that the head of the Catholic Church is resigning, through an English comedy actor who tweeted about it. Internet age you are weird.
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #64660
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

He might claim to be resigning, but the Expanded Universe made it clear that he'll just unfreeze a clone to transfer his mind to.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #64661
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
So this guy I recently met asked me out. I really can't bring myself to say yes even though there is nothing wrong with him. It's just I've been single for so long that I'm become very comfortable in it.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Also after the workplace harassment I experienced, I've had a general uneasiness around black guys.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #64662
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
ಠ_ಠ
Glad to start the day off with some nice casual racism.

Downloaded the new Fire Emblem this past weekend, and it's consumed my life. That is the most exciting thing that's happen to me over the last couple of days. My Twitter/FB feed has been nothing but "Katsucon Katscuon Katsucon ACK!" and I am the dude who's excited about recruiting Legendary heroes from past FEs.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #64663
Yavarice
Skymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
He might claim to be resigning, but the Expanded Universe made it clear that he'll just unfreeze a clone to transfer his mind to.
We'll also know we're in trouble if he gets voted back in with "emergency powers" to settle down a separatist movement.
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #64664
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Yesterday Brando and I went to a couple of 'trade centers' looking around for spare parts for arcade sticks and hoping I could find an old long bow someone was selling on the cheap. We found neither.

Brandon and I have been working on a new 'craft' to sell: custom arcade sticks. We're basically making a wood burning as the top of the cabinet and wiring the controls through ourselves. The problem is that finding the buttons and joystick is a little difficult with most of the game shops that would sell them having closed down.

I was hoping to find a long bow or recurve bow (whichever I could get hold of if it was available) cheaply for Merida but everyone was selling pricey compound hunting bows and rifles. So it looks like I am going to just make my own; which is probably preferable since I can carve in the designs she had on the bow myself instead of just settling:

I think Merida's bow is a recurve and I would be able to make one myself so I guess not finding one at the trade centers was probably for the best.

We did find some other little things though. I got a new GITS figurine:

It's one of three of the same style I now have. The first one I got from Megacon some years ago and the other two I've found within the past two years now for a lot less. Also found a One Piece figurine of young Nami:

Brando got the Zoro one pictured there too. They where being sold incredibly cheaply because they weren't in the box.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #64665
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Yesterday Brando and I went to a couple of 'trade centers' looking around for spare parts for arcade sticks and hoping I could find an old long bow someone was selling on the cheap. We found neither.

Brandon and I have been working on a new 'craft' to sell: custom arcade sticks. We're basically making a wood burning as the top of the cabinet and wiring the controls through ourselves. The problem is that finding the buttons and joystick is a little difficult with most of the game shops that would sell them having closed down.

I was hoping to find a long bow or recurve bow (whichever I could get hold of if it was available) cheaply for Merida but everyone was selling pricey compound hunting bows and rifles. So it looks like I am going to just make my own; which is probably preferable since I can carve in the designs she had on the bow myself instead of just settling
You're going to need to make a bow. Trust me on that, I found out the hard way last year when plotting Hawkeye things for cons.

As for the custom arcade sticks, as someone who knows about a dozen people who build/sell/customize sticks, not to mention has paid to mod a stick, make sure you're only using import parts for them. You may have to go through Play-Asia or an similiar site, but anyone serious about their gaming won't even look at you if you're using domestic parts.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote