Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3811 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #65191
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Horses need their teeth floated every 3 to 4 weeks, it a common thing. It's usually done at the same time their hooves are trimmed and shod.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #65192
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Horses need their teeth floated every 3 to 4 weeks, it a common thing. It's usually done at the same time their hooves are trimmed and shod.
They call teeth filing "floating" for horses? Interesting.. We don't really see horses at my clinic, so this is all new and interesting to me.

Quote:
As a fan of the series I expected more actually because well I like it.... don't be a jerk
Bahaha, I couldn't resist such a dig at MLP. My deep, burning hatred for that show and everything about it wouldn't let me. I'll try to be good, sorry. xD

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #65193
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
Ahh, ok! Is that the industry name or the medical name?

Oh, I see. In that case, you should probably just stick with the vet you have now. I live in a big city so there's lots of options if you want, that's why I suggested that. If it's the same clinic but different locations I highly doubt they'd have differing prices or deals. Just ask for that doctor by name when you make the appointment. Has Jiji had any bloodwork done recently?

Yeah, it was. Ooh, horses. Yeah, I'm def not going into large animal care when I'm a Vet. No thanks to livestock. xp
I am fairly sure it's the medical name because I was going by the information on the print out pages we got when we paid for the visit that lists the various things used on Jiji and what not.

I think we MIGHT have 2 or 3 clinics that are actually individual businesses. The one we took Jiji to today has 2 or 3 locations in the area. We're kinda a blue collar town so having a lot of sort of posh vet clinics isn't really high on their list. It's mostly a factory/industrial town and all the cities surrounding it are the same way. The particular doctor we took Jiji to today is also listed as the active doctor for all that clinics locations. We'll try to scope out options and what not anyway just to be sure. But the doctor from the clinic we went to today is actually the head/lead/king/all mighty veterinarian for the clinics other location too.

CHOICES AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE.

They didn't take any blood, just gave him the two shots. We're going in to see Jiji's doctor in 14 days for a follow up so I imagine they'd take some blood then?

Oh kitty. I haven't seen you this quiet at 12am since the first night you came into our home. It lasted only one night before you where bouncing off the walls like a crazy SOB. I never thought I'd miss your crazy early morning antics so much.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #65194
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I am fairly sure it's the medical name because I was going by the information on the print out pages we got when we paid for the visit that lists the various things used on Jiji and what not.

I think we MIGHT have 2 or 3 clinics that are actually individual businesses. The one we took Jiji to today has 2 or 3 locations in the area. We're kinda a blue collar town so having a lot of sort of posh vet clinics isn't really high on their list. It's mostly a factory/industrial town and all the cities surrounding it are the same way. The particular doctor we took Jiji to today is also listed as the active doctor for all that clinics locations. We'll try to scope out options and what not anyway just to be sure. But the doctor from the clinic we went to today is actually the head/lead/king/all mighty veterinarian for the clinics other location too.

CHOICES AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE.

They didn't take any blood, just gave him the two shots. We're going in to see Jiji's doctor in 14 days for a follow up so I imagine they'd take some blood then?

Oh kitty. I haven't seen you this quiet at 12am since the first night you came into our home. It lasted only one night before you where bouncing off the walls like a crazy SOB. I never thought I'd miss your crazy early morning antics so much.

Ah, interesting. I'll ask about it when I go into work tomorrow.

XD Good. Not to talk down to any of the other doctors, but the Head Doctor of the Clinic is usually the best all around doctor. On the flip side, that also means he/she is the busiest and least time-flexible.

Well, it depends. Bloodwork is 90% of the time optional. There are very few situations where a doctor will force you to do bloodwork, as it can get expensive. However, I would recommend at least getting pre-operation bloodwork before getting the tooth extracted. Since they'll have to put him under Iso, they'll want you to do it anyways. It's always a good, safe idea to run bloodwork before knocking a pet under, just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the kidney's or anything like that.

Antibiotics+a trip to the vet is a surefire way to knock any pet flat. xD

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

My Life In a Nutshell
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #65195
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Ah, interesting. I'll ask about it when I go into work tomorrow.

XD Good. Not to talk down to any of the other doctors, but the Head Doctor of the Clinic is usually the best all around doctor. On the flip side, that also means he/she is the busiest and least time-flexible.

Well, it depends. Bloodwork is 90% of the time optional. There are very few situations where a doctor will force you to do bloodwork, as it can get expensive. However, I would recommend at least getting pre-operation bloodwork before getting the tooth extracted. Since they'll have to put him under Iso, they'll want you to do it anyways. It's always a good, safe idea to run bloodwork before knocking a pet under, just to make sure there's nothing wrong with the kidney's or anything like that.

Antibiotics+a trip to the vet is a surefire way to knock any pet flat. xD
Thank you for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated! Particularly in this small town where not a lot of clinics are really available to look for this kind of information.

On one hand a break from Jiji's complete crazy kitty insanity is nice >> but I know it's because he's not feeling good. Baw. Little kitty gonna need lots of TLC.

I am thinking we gotta get him something to help with the plaque on his teeth since the vet said they weren't super great. Really wishing the shelter told us more about this since we've only had him around 2 months at this point :|
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Last edited by Lithium Flower : 02-16-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #65196
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

...There is a character...named Derpy....

Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #65197
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Thank you for all the advice, it's greatly appreciated! Particularly in this small town where not a lot of clinics are really available to look for this kind of information.

On one hand a break from Jiji's complete crazy kitty insanity is nice >> but I know it's because he's not feeling good. Baw. Little kitty gonna need lots of TLC.

I am thinking we gotta get him something to help with the plaque on his teeth since the vet said they weren't super great. Really wishing the shelter told us more about this since we've only had him around 2 months at this point :|
Kudos on getting him from the shelter, though. Boo on puppy/kitty mills, yay on saving pets lives from shelters!

Quote:
And that's only the start of it.

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

My Life In a Nutshell
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:20 AM   #65198
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post

-twiddles thumbs-
Her name is actually Ditzy Doo...
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #65199
dx7879
King of the Pirates!

I think my car may need to be fixed once again Around 30 minutes into a 1 hour and 40 minute trip today, the thing started rumbling pretty bad. On the way back from the trip, my check engine light turned on for the first time ever that I have seen...Maybe it's time to finally get a new car
dx7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #65200
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Kudos on getting him from the shelter, though. Boo on puppy/kitty mills, yay on saving pets lives from shelters!
Jiji was at the shelter from August to December when we came to get him. From what the shelter volunteers told us he was taken by the local police from a mans yard when his neighbors called in about seeing Jiji (They where calling him Owen at the shelter) tied up with no food or water and only had access to one of those big dog igloo's for shelter. The older man told police that he thought Jiji would survive by killing mice in his garden and didn't consider that a larger (possibly predatory) animal could kill Jiji for space in the dog igloo and that it wouldn't be sufficient for keeping a little kitten warm in bad weather. He was a stray kitten the man found and was around 6-7 months old when he was turned in to the shelter. I am glad the neighbors called because here in Michigan there's no way Jiji would have survived our winter outside like that.

My family dog (who passed away living happily with my sister and her husband when they moved in together many years ago) was also a shelter rescue. He was the only surviving of his litter-mates. The owners of his mother had boxes up our dog Bootsy along with the other pups from the litter and drove out onto the busiest freeway in the area and dumped them out the car window. Out of all the pups Bootsy was the only one who didn't get run over or otherwise die out on the road. When we came to the humane society to look for dogs he was being taken into the back to be euthanized when my mom and sister spotted him and chose to adopt him right there so he wouldn't be put to sleep.

Man he was a great dog. A mix between a German Shepard and possibly a Coyote or some very mixed breed mutt.

The only non-shelter pet's I've owned have been mice and my first kitten Princess who passed away when I was in high school. We adopted her when I was around 6 from a strip center pet shop my mom really did not approve of but pushed us to pick Princess. I think she knew the animals where being mistreated and a week later the shop was shut down. So I believe she knew that something was going down and didn't want this little tiny kitten to get thrown out into the streets because that's the only time I've seen her get a pet outside of a shelter or humane society location.

#shelterpetsforlifebro
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #65201
Lithium Flower
Handphones

So the second visit went really quick, the vet just trimmed the rest of his claws and he was a lot more calm. The lead veterinarian said we likely won't have to extract the tooth since the medicine is doing well for him and should essentially stop the swelling on his lip so the tooth isn't digging into his mouth and it won't be an issue. We just have to bring him in every 10 days or so until he's better.

He said that if we do have to extract the tooth it will be done as part of a dental 'package' kinda deal where he'd also get his teeth cleaned and what not and quoted us at only $25. Whoa what? If that's the case I am sure as heck not going to another clinic
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #65202
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
They call teeth filing "floating" for horses? Interesting.. We don't really see horses at my clinic, so this is all new and interesting to me.

Bahaha, I couldn't resist such a dig at MLP. My deep, burning hatred for that show and everything about it wouldn't let me. I'll try to be good, sorry. xD
That's splendid, but plenty people here like it and Penny has already posted the it's ok to not like things song within this month let's not do it again.

And yes they call it floating, not sure why, I just ride horses and learn shit in class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post

Her name is technically Ditzy doo, the fans named her Derpy Hooves because of her clumsy nature.

Last edited by BlondieSundae : 02-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #65203
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Still a fuckton of work to finish. Weeee.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #65204
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Still a fuckton of work to finish. Weeee.
YOU CAN DO IT
Unread 02-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #65205
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I sure hope I can. The con is Friday and I'll be travelling most of Thursday.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote