Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3900 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #67786
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
What? I've filed with H&R Block twice. First year I brought it in and had someone do it, cost me about $120 and we got about two thousand back. Last year I used their at-home software, cost maybe $50 for the software, $30-$40 in filing fees, we got a few thousand back because we'd just had a baby.

Please tell me the low returns are because you guys withhold more than we do, and not because NYC taxes are actually that harsh.
I also assume both you and SV are on the books, which makes a huge difference. Carrie is for all purposes self-employed and for 2011-2012 did not pay any taxes through out the year. I understood why we owed money to the gov'ment that year, I just don't understand HOW AND WHY H&R could justify charging us $585 to file our taxes.

2012-2013 Carrie paid an quarterly estamite, so thing were much better. And we say someone my mom uses, who helped us w/ some stuffs, which explains why we're getting more back than last year, and am only paying a little over $200 this time around for the same amount of work, so H&R can go screw.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #67787
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
What you're probably coming across is stuff like this;
(artists being butts)
Pretty much. YOu can get a table, but nobody is going to make you stay there. (In addition to all that stuff, rarely an artist will pack up and leave because they've sold out. It's pretty uncommon with 2D artists, but I've seen it with craft-oriented tables)

I know it's a moot point for several reasons, but for completness, AN's artist info is here.
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #67788
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
I also assume both you and SV are on the books, which makes a huge difference. Carrie is for all purposes self-employed and for 2011-2012 did not pay any taxes through out the year. I understood why we owed money to the gov'ment that year, I just don't understand HOW AND WHY H&R could justify charging us $585 to file our taxes.

2012-2013 Carrie paid an quarterly estamite, so thing were much better. And we say someone my mom uses, who helped us w/ some stuffs, which explains why we're getting more back than last year, and am only paying a little over $200 this time around for the same amount of work, so H&R can go screw.
I gotcha. I do agree that much to file freakin' paperwork is obscene. Honestly right now I'm thankful that our finances are uncomplicated enough that I can file at home. Like, we're poor (relatively speaking), we have no investments, and we don't bother keeping receipts on charitable contributions or medical deductions or things like that.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #67789
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
I gotcha. I do agree that much to file freakin' paperwork is obscene. Honestly right now I'm thankful that our finances are uncomplicated enough that I can file at home. Like, we're poor (relatively speaking), we have no investments, and we don't bother keeping receipts on charitable contributions or medical deductions or things like that.
Year 1 and 2 of marriage tax-filing was easy, since Carrie was employed/on unemployment for those years, and we kind fudged the numbers for year 2 because eff the man. We decided to go semi-legit last year and UGH.

Note, we would be entitled for a LOT more if Carolann didn't start everything under her name (dont even ask me what she does for taxes), but I'll take what we can get.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #67790
Lithium Flower
Handphones

By the way Penny, I am sorry I am like constantly replying to your tumblr stuff. UGH. That must get annoying.

Went over to Rowan's house last night and she took a look at the dress sleeves for me. She thinks we can work with it, but wants to wait until after the convention to do it just in case something goes wrong. The issue is that the forearm piece of the sleeve isn't tapered in to the wrist.

Here you can see that the forearm piece ends up being relatively fitted around her arm with the under shirt and the sleeve isn't flared out;

But with the costume it appears that they sized that part of her sleeve to be the same width as my bicep;

The strip on the underside that attaches the top sleeve and the second sleeve is actually sewn on along the underside seam itself, so Rowan was afraid that if she popped the seam it might ruin that band and we wouldn't have time to fix it by Acen. So she suggested that for the convention I pin the sleeve over to fit the way I'd like it, it looks just fine when it's pinched from the inside of the sleeve, and after the convention we can work on it.

I am going to message Fan Plus Friend and see if I could send it back after the convention to be fixed and explain what's wrong and all that. If not, it's something Rowan said we can work on later, she's just afraid to mess with it before the convention.

If anything, it's at least a relatively simple fix to do just one that needs to be very precise so the fabric strip isn't damaged beyond use.

It's such a pretty dress and it really is beautifully made that I just hate to sound like I am bitching about it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #67791
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

I have my last seminar of the term tomorrow and I really can't be bothered to go. It's tomorrow but I just know now that I won't have the energy for it. It'll just be an awkward 2 hours of talking about Paranormal Activity and found footage horror films and frankly none of that appeals to me.

I'm so tired I can't wait to go home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #67792
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Year 1 and 2 of marriage tax-filing was easy, since Carrie was employed/on unemployment for those years, and we kind fudged the numbers for year 2 because eff the man. We decided to go semi-legit last year and UGH.
One year, when I was still doing my taxes myself and could get away with filing a 1040EZ, I had cashed in a bond and wound up owing like $3,000 that I didn't have because I thought I didn't have to claim it, since the bond was given as a gift. Whoops. So since then if we have extra money I just always bring it to an accountant. Having the IRS come after you is REALLY FRIGGING SCARY. In that regard it's kind of refreshing that we almost never have extra money.

Quote:
By the way Penny, I am sorry I am like constantly replying to your tumblr stuff. UGH. That must get annoying.
I never mind replies, even if I have nothing useful to say in response. I do wish there was a function on Tumblr where you could protect posts or semi-lock them; I don't understand why this is like THE ONE SINGLE social site that doesn't let you control who has access to your posts beyond making them entirely private. There are things I post where I don't want to put, like, "DON'T YOU DARE REBLOG THIS" because it's not a big deal, but it is kind of weird when it gets reblogged and then people I don't even know are replying to, like, pictures of my shoes or whatever, if that makes sense?

Plus you have to bend over backwards if you explicitly state you don't want it reblogged, since there are Tumblr accounts that hunt down those posts and specifically reblog them just to be assholes.

Quote:
Went over to Rowan's house last night and she took a look at the dress sleeves for me. She thinks we can work with it, but wants to wait until after the convention to do it just in case something goes wrong. The issue is that the forearm piece of the sleeve isn't tapered in to the wrist.
I can see where that would bug you. At least that section isn't too tight and can be taken in, it's probably tough to fit when you don't have precise forearm measurements. I had a period gown with sleeves in a similar style (this one) and they ran pretty loose on me, too. The only thing with mine is that it had detachable sleeves. I know F+F stuff tends to not have excess fabric, but an option for the future is either to use a little skirt fabric and make new bands if yours are damaged, or remove the bands entirely, and add holes/grommets so you can attach the pieces with ribbon. Less screen-accurate, but period-accurate. Just throwing some alternatives out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
I have my last seminar of the term tomorrow and I really can't be bothered to go. It's tomorrow but I just know now that I won't have the energy for it. It'll just be an awkward 2 hours of talking about Paranormal Activity and found footage horror films and frankly none of that appeals to me.
Murgh. I don't think I could spend 90 minutes watching the actual movie, much less two hours talking about it.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #67793
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Back to one of our favorite subjects-- bra shopping. Got dragged into Victoria's Secret by my mother and it was a terrible experience... And my sister wonders why I don't like shopping.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #67794
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Bra shopping at Victoria's Secret IS a terrible experience.
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #67795
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I never mind replies, even if I have nothing useful to say in response. I do wish there was a function on Tumblr where you could protect posts or semi-lock them; I don't understand why this is like THE ONE SINGLE social site that doesn't let you control who has access to your posts beyond making them entirely private. There are things I post where I don't want to put, like, "DON'T YOU DARE REBLOG THIS" because it's not a big deal, but it is kind of weird when it gets reblogged and then people I don't even know are replying to, like, pictures of my shoes or whatever, if that makes sense?

Plus you have to bend over backwards if you explicitly state you don't want it reblogged, since there are Tumblr accounts that hunt down those posts and specifically reblog them just to be assholes.

I can see where that would bug you. At least that section isn't too tight and can be taken in, it's probably tough to fit when you don't have precise forearm measurements. I had a period gown with sleeves in a similar style (this one) and they ran pretty loose on me, too. The only thing with mine is that it had detachable sleeves. I know F+F stuff tends to not have excess fabric, but an option for the future is either to use a little skirt fabric and make new bands if yours are damaged, or remove the bands entirely, and add holes/grommets so you can attach the pieces with ribbon. Less screen-accurate, but period-accurate. Just throwing some alternatives out there.
That's one thing above all else that really personally bothers me about tumblr. It has no real privacy settings. Like. AT ALL. I ended up deleting a post because one of Brando's friends found it and it was one where I was very depressed and upset and I was like "FUCK". It seems like tumblr just really doesn't want to give it's users the functions they've been asking for from the beginning, but instead want to block the one extension download that gives their users those capabilities.

People wouldn't have Missing-e if you gave them the function to reblog in the first place. Shocking, I know.

I've been having problems reblogging from pages not directly from my dash. If I go to reblog something via someones personal page and not directly from my dash it never loads. Whatevs.

That dress is gorgeous, I used to go on that website all the time when I was first getting into convention stuff and wanted to dress up as something from Lord of the Rings :P And thank you! Those are really good idea's and I am going to try and plan out a fix for after the convention. If It came down to it I am sure I could find a very similar fabric to remake the straps on the sleeves and re-attach them in another way.

I guess with it being something like 40 days away if there's an issue I have with the costume prior I really won't have the means to get anything done about it before hand. The way the sleeves look when 'pinched' from the inside you can't even tell. So at least for the convention I'll have some kind of solution. Though I'd better be careful not to stab myself with a pin ~_~
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #67796
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Victoria's Secret is a terrible experience.

Not that anyone should feel bad about shopping there, I just don't like the company and I don't like that they've managed to become, more or less, the standard for lingerie offerings in the U.S. It's crap that so many girls and women feel like they basically have no other options when they're shopping for bras.
Unread 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #67797
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Quote:
All hail, Penny the Wise. I wish my teenage self could have known differently...
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #67798
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
I wish my teenage self could have known differently...
I was shamefully far into my 20's before I finally got properly fitted for a bra. I'm in my 30's now and still trying to find bras that fit and don't look like something I could have found in my grandma's dresser with her full slips and compression hose. Like, I don't know if people realize what a trial bra shopping is. Why do I have to go across the ocean, I am not even kidding, to find an item that is necessary for me to wear every day? It is really shocking to realize how many women don't even know what size bra they should be wearing, VS and their ilk have such a monopoly on the bosoms of America.
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #67799
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

BAAAAAAAAAAABIEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #67800
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:

Not that anyone should feel bad about shopping there, I just don't like the company and I don't like that they've managed to become, more or less, the standard for lingerie offerings in the U.S. It's crap that so many girls and women feel like they basically have no other options when they're shopping for bras.
The pictures of the models in their store are awful. Not in like "OH WOMENS BOOBIES!" awful, but as in you can clearly tell their own models bra's aren't fitting right.

Like.
They can't even be bothered to fit their own models?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○