Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3813 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #68071
OtakuSpark
Local KagePro loser

The opposite of art block: When there is too much to draw and you can't get it all out at once, so everything you draw is a mess.
Art diarrhea.

God, help me.
And all at once, I know everything is gone
OtakuSpark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #68072
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Bleh, half a newspaper's worth of sheets, a page of calculations in my notepad and probably a few cm off my pencil later and I'm still no closer to getting my Link hat done.

Patterning hats is hard. v_v

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #68073
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'll trade you for patterning Quorra's arm pieces. They defy anatomy, physics, electronics that don't break and non-Hollywood-level construction. And I have only six weeks to get them re-done.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #68074
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
Usually I tie mine (rather tightly) to the handle of my purse, and leave the badge itself hidden inside. That way, I just whip it out when I need it, and it goes right back in when I don't! (Since I hide my purse under my huge skirts or ask a friend to hold it for photos-- depending on what I'm wearing-- it doesn't become an issue!)
How on earth do you hide your purse..............ohhh, you just put it under your skirt when people ask and don't walk around with it under there. Lol. Okay. Never mind.
I generally don't have a purse or bag since I'm not allowed to go anywhere without my dad.
Quote:
(I should be working on stuff myself...)
Me too....I slept till 11, had dance, then went to get a few things from Joann Fabrics, then went to church and then out to dinner with my mom. And am now in a food coma and still haven't gotten ANY homework done.

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #68075
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Okay so here's the progress I am up to so far;

I've pushed the 'neat' looking top layer of curls to one side as I detangled the super bad 'bag hair' that the wig arrived with. Which wasn't really that bad for my situation because it ended up looking like I wanted it to when styled for Merida...buuutt for people who where looking for the neat tight curls it normally has they would have been in for a lot of restyling >>' -ahem-

I am basically just untangling some knots, loosening up some curls and then lifting up some pieces of hair to back comb it. Then I am going to let the neat top layer fall over it and style some big chunks of curls and leave some the way they are. For right now I am leaving the first few inches around the face as it is because I am going to put the wig ON to cut a few gradual pieces.

Not sure sure how I am going to go about making that big chunky curl in the front;

I think I'd have to combine some of the curls around the face and hairline into one big chunk and cut it to length.

Worked on it some more, cut a bit of short hair around the front and sectioned off a chunk that I am going to curl together into one big piece to be cut shorter. I still need to kinda pull some curls apart because the wig is still too uniform in the front:

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Last edited by Lithium Flower : 04-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #68076
Bisected8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'll trade you for patterning Quorra's arm pieces. They defy anatomy, physics, electronics that don't break and non-Hollywood-level construction. And I have only six weeks to get them re-done.
Fine, you win (although I'm vaguely jealous that you get to use electronics; I've been wanting an excuse to buy some conductive thread and sew circuits into something).

I'm absolutely dreading the tunic, though (it'll be my first attempt at making anything larger than a hat or gloves, let alone patterning one).

Unread 04-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #68077
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Fine, you win (although I'm vaguely jealous that you get to use electronics; I've been wanting an excuse to buy some conductive thread and sew circuits into something).

I'm absolutely dreading the tunic, though (it'll be my first attempt at making anything larger than a hat or gloves, let alone patterning one).
Tunics are really easy if you have a basic pattern to work from- are you trying to draft it all from scratch for a first major project? If you are, I suggest trying to find a pattern that'll give you the drape and shoulders you need and go from there (having at least the basic shape and instructions on where to sew and gather what is a big help). And with a tunic shaped like Link's the arms/shoulders ought to be somewhat easier than your typical sleeve, too, since they're loose. Fitted arms kill me because they're so hard to insert neatly (and then combine my wide round shoulders, and I almost always have to add extra tailoring onto the pattern before I can cut it out if it's a sleeved garment).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #68078
Bisected8

I'm mostly worried about getting it the right shape (I'm doing OoT Adult Link and his tunic's a lot less realistic compared to TP's or SS's).

Unread 04-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #68079
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Math homework has been done, essay has been lightly edited (clearly I'll be up late doing homework tomorrow), nails have been painted, and hair has been French braided.
Now to gather my makeup and shoes and it's off to bed!

Visit my Facebook page!
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #68080
tictictok

Quote:
I'm mostly worried about getting it the right shape (I'm doing OoT Adult Link and his tunic's a lot less realistic compared to TP's or SS's).
I made a Link tunic and hat for an ex-friend of mine.

What I did for the tunic was I had her lend me a loose fitting tank top of hers for the pattern/arm hole and I traced beyond the bottom of it as long as it needed.

For the hat, take a measurement of around your head and cut 2 pieces that are half your head measurement+ an inch for ease at the bottom and just cut it into a cone shape.

Check out my plushies tag if you'd like ∩( ・ω・)∩

Upcoming Con- Otakon (GOING AW YE)

Cosplays
-----
Dahlia Gillespie
Mami Tomoe
Twerk Team!Anthy
tictictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #68081
epicserendipity
Love the wind in my hair

Got Slap-Jacked no less than three times today when another guild member at the faire spotted the Jack Sparrows before I did. Dangit! I'll get her next weekend.

Also spotted a Doctor, and a guy cosplaying as Jack Frost.

Next week, I'm going to give the binder another test by crossplaying as the male counterpart to my Ren. faire character, Maggie "Lucky" Elizabeth Lymhacker I. I'm going to be comfortable at faire in mens clothes. Yay! I'll be wearing my Yosuke wig for the part, too. The head of the Lymhacker family and the guild master both like this idea and will go with it. I was going to go with "Marcus Jonathan Lymhacker," but one of the other girls who knows I'm cosplaying as Yosuke Hanamura said to keep the first name if I'm going to use the wig. She said it's weird enough, nowhere near Elizabethan England, and sounds like a sneeze if you say it fast enough. "The midwife asked what I'd be named, and my father sneezed. So she wrote it down." I just laughed. How bizarre! But it fits the Dory-like nature of my character, "Lucky."

Anyone have any ideas on names?

Future Cons: Anime Expo 2014 (L.A)

FINISHED PROJECTS:

100%: Yosuke Hanamura (Many outfits) (Persona 4)
Current Projects:
Junpei Iori (Persona 3 --with my friends.)

Kaoru Kamiya - Kendo uniform (Rurouni Kenshin -anime)
My Youtube Channel (I sing and stuff here.)
BTVA voice acting profile
epicserendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #68082
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Quote:
I used this tutorial when patterning my hat, and it worked fantastically!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictictok View Post

What I did for the tunic was I had her lend me a loose fitting tank top of hers for the pattern/arm hole and I traced beyond the bottom of it as long as it needed.

For the hat, take a measurement of around your head and cut 2 pieces that are half your head measurement+ an inch for ease at the bottom and just cut it into a cone shape.
That's about what I did too, yeah. For the sleeves, I just drew a pattern based on the sleeves of an oversized t-shirt.

Also yes, definitely add some extra space on the hat, especially if you're wearing a wig. I didn't factor that in when I made mine originally, and had to add in an extra triangle piece in back to make it fit... pain in the butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
How on earth do you hide your purse..............ohhh, you just put it under your skirt when people ask and don't walk around with it under there. Lol. Okay. Never mind.
... Yeah. xD I always have trouble hiding bags when I'm not wearing a hoop skirt now, though, because I've gotten used to just dropping it at my feet. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Not sure sure how I am going to go about making that big chunky curl in the front...
I think I'd have to combine some of the curls around the face and hairline into one big chunk and cut it to length.
That's what I'd do, yeah. Maybe if you straighten the section you want to make into the big curl, then re-curl it by hand to make sure it all spirals the same way?
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #68083
C0rvu51nku8a3
Best chin on Cosplay.com

I pulled an all nighter.
C0rvu51nku8a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #68084
Bisected8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictictok View Post

Quote:
I used this tutorial when patterning my hat, and it worked fantastically!
Yeah, I search and found the two triangle method, but having two seams on it bothered me, so I decided to make it from a cone and have the seam on the underside. I also noticed that the headband seems to taper (it's wider at the front) and that the hat seems to fold down at the base.

Then I decided to dig out OoT 3D for reference (since the model's more detailed than the original) and noticed that the hat isn't a perfect cone; it seems to be shorter on the underside (when the tip of the hat is fully extended, there's still a curve) and curves in several places (so I might need to add a few darts) instead of extending into a straight line.

...all in all, I'm either over-complicating it, or the hat's more complicated than it looks.

Unread 04-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #68085
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
That's what I'd do, yeah. Maybe if you straighten the section you want to make into the big curl, then re-curl it by hand to make sure it all spirals the same way?
When I tried the wig on there's actually a LOT of hair that falls in my face, and Merida's hair doesn't really cover her face:

But the wig for the Disney park actress has thin pieces that fall in her face:

The Merry wig has a very small hairline that doesn't go all the way back so I don't think I'd be able to make the wig completely pushed back like the actresses wig is, but because there is so much extra hair in the front of the wig I have enough to get that fat curl in the front without losing some important chunk of it.

Here's a good picture of someone else wearing the wig relatively unstyled so you can see how much extra hair there is around the face:

I think today I am going to 'fuck it up' some more and what not.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote