Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3828 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #83881
sam vimes
A real live wire

Bored and tired and gassy.

Don't play devil's advocate concerning feminism. Better yet, just don't say anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #83882
Squeaker-Ed
*choo choo* :3

@ Hag: Sooo, are you aware that you've hit 10,000 posts just recently, or is it not that exciting?

DEBATING: Zobiko (House of the Dead EX), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), IT'S A SECRET {x3} (Assorted)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Rusty, & Dinah (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #83883
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Congrats on 10,000 indeed!

Is anybody else having massive Legend of Zelda feelings? Today has been a whirlwind of me wanting to just work on cosplay from Twilight Princess and fangirling over the E3 announcements.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #83884
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
Jesus Christ, most MRAs just grind my gears. Like others have said, they do have a few legitimate points, but on the whole it's mostly guys complaining about women not wanting to fuck them.
Like it was said before, when they do bring up legitimate points it's always stuff feminists agree with and yet they still see them as an enemy. But then when feminists talk about instances like the UCSB shooting or the guy who killed the girl who turned down his invitation for prom they start talking about a violent crime committed by a woman try to make an equivalence. However, I have yet to see them find a case with the same social problems behind them. The stories are simply not comparable. The UCSB shooting is not comparable to three women attacking a homeless man. The only thing these stories have in common is that is was a terrible act.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #83885
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

Don't play devil's advocate concerning feminism. Better yet, just don't say anything at all.
ILU

Also I am sorry about your butt gas.
Did you try to call me earlier? Cuz I dropped my phone when it rang and the battery popped out but I swear it was you that called me.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #83886
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
My gut reaction when I first read about this was that it is bogus. Some other people have actually looked at the data and have come to that conclusion as well.
Yep, first thing I thought was "hurricanes were ALL female-named until 1979, and before that, hurricane forecasting and preparedness was WAY less than it is now". Just from a historical standpoint, that's unfairly weighted.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #83887
Squeaker-Ed

The things my family posts on FB...

Anyone care to tell me how you'd shoot someone while you're asleep?

PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), IT'S A SECRET {x3} (Assorted)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Rusty, & Dinah (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #83888
Saltpeter
DANGER: Talks too much

For the most part, I only bite my tongue at people I don't take seriously. I only really make an ass of myself maybe once every two or three years. ;>.>

There's this one scene in Bowling for Columbine where Michael Moore goes into someone's bedroom without the cameraman and is shown by the owner of the house a loaded gun beneath his pillow. My money's on him for accidentally shooting people in his sleep.

Costume Plan

The planning phase is over, the time for action has arrived! Talk to me like someone who is more eager than studious, but HAS done his research outside of his questions! The next challenge is to make the armor look like leather, or to make the pouch!

NEXT RANK: Add padding/styling to shoulder armor OR make the leather card pouch
Saltpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #83889
Clementine
I do as I please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Like it was said before, when they do bring up legitimate points it's always stuff feminists agree with and yet they still see them as an enemy. But then when feminists talk about instances like the UCSB shooting or the guy who killed the girl who turned down his invitation for prom they start talking about a violent crime committed by a woman try to make an equivalence. However, I have yet to see them find a case with the same social problems behind them. The stories are simply not comparable. The UCSB shooting is not comparable to three women attacking a homeless man. The only thing these stories have in common is that is was a terrible act.
That's just it, any legitimate points they may have are usually things that feminists are fighting for as well, like equality in child custody battles, etc., and there is absolutely no reason for men to have an entirely separate group for this just because they're afraid to label themselves feminists because they're afraid it will make them seem less macho. Their egos get in the way of them making any real progress, and the name "men's rights activist" is just absurd, considering white men are the only ones who have been GIVEN inherent rights since essentially the dawn of time.

Who deals with harassment, threats of rape/murder, unequal pay, unequal treatment, and just downright inequality on a daily basis? Women. Who REALLY needs a movement devoted to their welfare and equality? Women.

To clarify, I'm not disagreeing with you at all Shana, but rather further expressing my opinion.

Edit: regarding the UCSB shooter, he literally shot and killed multiple people because women didn't throw themselves at him. You'll find news articles that say things like "he was rejected by women..." But that's inaccurate. In order to be rejected you first have to make an attempt. In his manifesto you'll find that he never actually went up and TALKED to any girls. He just hated them for being out and about with their boyfriends because they chose that guy over the shooter. He fully expected women to just come up to him and flirt with him and want to be with him without him having to try, and because no one did, he shot and killed people. If that doesn't show the world that we need feminism I just don't know what will.
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.

Last edited by Clementine : 06-10-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #83890
belligerent
Viking Metal

Anybody who thinks they make an ass out of themselves only once every two to three years is not very self aware, IMO.

Quote:
Anyone care to tell me how you'd shoot someone while you're asleep?
MURKA
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #83891
Squeaker-Ed

I'm getting real tired of someone asking me what my favorite shit is. God knows I can't list it all off or remember it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
Anybody who thinks they make an ass out of themselves only once every two to three years is not very self aware, IMO.

MURKA
'MURICA? (Pretty much on that top bit.)

Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Unread 06-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #83892
Saltpeter
DANGER: Talks too much

There's making an ass of yourself, and really making an ass of yourself. The indefensible, irreducible kind, where shame is the only recourse. The kind that, years down the line, you're still going "why the hell did I do/say that?" every time you think about it. That's what I'm talking about.

I don't get the whole MRA thing. I always just identified as a feminist. o_o

Edit: I just did a google search for "can a man" out of curiosity, and the very first suggestion was "be a feminist." I'm not sure what that suggests, but I do find it interesting.

Costume Plan

The planning phase is over, the time for action has arrived! Talk to me like someone who is more eager than studious, but HAS done his research outside of his questions! The next challenge is to make the armor look like leather, or to make the pouch!

NEXT RANK: Add padding/styling to shoulder armor OR make the leather card pouch

Last edited by Saltpeter : 06-10-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Saltpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 12:53 AM   #83893
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I actually agree with everything you're saying Clementine. You've hit the nail on the head. The whole story has also been a hit for me as an Aspie. It was falsely reported the Rodger had Asperger's. It turns out he was never diagnosed even though he had been seeing a therapist for years. His family just suspected he might be on the autism spectrum because he had no friends. Seriously, there's a lot of reasons a person can be friendless that don't involve autism.

But of course, most people just remember the first thing they heard. Just what autistic people need, others associating the condition with violence.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #83894
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post

pfft, try playing the middle ground, oh wait, that's not possible because YOU DISAGREED WITH ME SO YOU'RE THE ENEMY.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 05:59 AM   #83895
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltpeter View Post
Edit: I just did a google search for "can a man" out of curiosity, and the very first suggestion was "be a feminist." I'm not sure what that suggests, but I do find it interesting.
Interesting. Check the Google completions for "feminists are" and "feminists should".

Also - Lewis's Law.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote