Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
acostory
Draw!

School/Work

Haven't seen a thread like this so I'd figure I'd go ahead and start one.

We all have our family lives, and our cosplay lives. But what we don't get to talk about often is our professional lives.

So, what's school like for you? You in university or high school? If you've already left, got some memorable experiences you'd like to share? Words of advice to the younger crowd?

How about your job? Love it? Hate it? Wish you had one?
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Kildread
I can fix it!

I've been done with school for 6 years or so now --- the best thing that came out of it is when I was finally done with it. I'll never understand adults who say 'School is the best years of your life'. Life altogether got better, with more freedom, more autonomy, more... well, everything once I got past constrictions of school and got a stable job.

My job initially consisted of programming changes or new features in administrative/warehouse management software --- now I barely do any programming past bug resolution or program testing. Spending most of my time reviewing technical specs, challenging developments (Where you question the menas employed to accomplish X or Y) or supporting existing customers remotely.

It's pretty cool, my workplace allows for a flexible schedule and doesn't mind that I work a few hours at home each morning and I've been able to get fridays off in 2009 (At the expense of doing 9 instead of 8 hours the remaining 4 days) ^_^

I admit it's not very fulfilling in the whole pride/accomplishment department --- often I feel like I could go further elsewhere in a more established company, but this posting is stable, with great benefits and the only downside of the economic situation I've felt is no bonus for a year.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas

I went to santa monica college a few semesters, then enlisted in the Marines, which is what I do now...I fix the electrical systems on fighter aircraft. Its fun, I plan to mustang (go from enlisted to officer) in about a year. Im in this for life.
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

dropped out of high school due to medical reasons... want to finish it online but I'm moving to a new district soon so... I'll wait til then... I never have much patience for school related stuff... my best work/best attendance was at my co-op at the barn... honestly I failed to see the importance of 90% of the stuff in school... all I need is some business skills... honestly everything else is better learned at the stable because its so... different from what you learn in school...
As for jobs... currently I am unemployed, and because of how soon I plan to move, its hard to get a job here... in a month or 2 I will be starting to turn in horses once a week, but that's only like... $80 a month off my horses board... so I might do some smaller money making things like making costumes for friends and stuff... but for now I'm struggling and there's not much I can do...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I have been out of high school for ten years now. Never went to college, I was so burned out on school and unsure of what I wanted to do beyond fashion design, so I never went. I spend my days now working in retail, I work at Target. It's not a bad job. I don't love it or hate it. But I do cosplay work for myself, friends, and commissions as well. I have website under construction for commissioning, so maybe someday that will be another steady source of income. I guess I'm one of those people who doesn't feel the need to climb the corporate ladder for the rest of my life. I see people I graduated with who went to college and did all the normal stuff in life and are miserable. I'm super happy with my life^^
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Jennifer337

I graduated from high school last year and am now a freshman at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, majoring in photography. It's an incredible school but the amount of work we've been getting in the past few weeks is just crazy. At one point I had 5 projects going on at the same time... in just one class.

I don't have a job right now (never have actually), because there'd be no way to both work and go to school. Hoping to get a summer job though.
Jennifer337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i absolutely hated high school. things happened there that severely changed me and not for the better. college was much better, i actually enjoyed going and would like to get back into it

i am currently out of work, and will likely not be able to go back into the work force. i have done everything from office to warehouse to school bus driver, and i have to say my favorite by far was anything in the transportation industry. i enjoy travelling, even when i'm not really going anywhere

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
A.F.S. 1984

School blends well with some personalities while for others not so much. Personally, I love school. I got my bachelors in criminology, and I am currently working on my masters in criminology. I will probably go to law school or get a Ph.D.

JIU JITSU is life.
A.F.S. 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Archangelz
Accio burrito!

I've been out of college for almost 5 years now. I got my BA in Photography and while I loved the classes and the path I don't think I'm cut out for it. I love photography, it's not that, I just hate what comes with making it a living. Business, in every way, sucks and makes me want to take a nap instead of learning how to do it well. I can't stand it but I'm glad I know this now at 27 instead of struggling with it in my 30's and 40's.

To those of you in college (or about to enter) I will say this: try everything. There were so many opportunities, trips, groups, things that sounded fun but I convinced myself not to try that now I look back and wonder, "WTF?! Why didn't I do all THAT?!" It's not like I can't do everything now that was offered in college but things there are packaged nicely, usually far cheaper then you'll find outside of school, and you're typically going to be exposed to people your own age who are interested in this thing. It's just an different environment and I wish I had taken advantage of it more.

www.nerdangel.com

Member of Bacon-Flavored Cosplay
Archangelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Archangelz
Accio burrito!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
I went to santa monica college a few semesters, then enlisted in the Marines, which is what I do now...I fix the electrical systems on fighter aircraft. Its fun, I plan to mustang (go from enlisted to officer) in about a year. Im in this for life.
Thanks for serving!

www.nerdangel.com

Member of Bacon-Flavored Cosplay
Archangelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangelz View Post
Thanks for serving!
from me too ^_^ i'm physically unable to join

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #12
kittymutt
Belgium Waffles

I just graduated from High School last year. I'm currently going to a small community college and by the end of this semester I'll have my A-A degree. I'm still not sure what I want to go into. My dad really wants me to go into engineering, but I'm still not sure if it's for me or not.

If I get accepted into the university I applied for, I'll probably go that route. If I don't make it in, then I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do. I wish it was easier to choose a career. I wish I could be like my friends that know exactly what they want to do. But for me it's just so hard choose.
kittymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Aearon

What type of Engineering? Mechanical Engineering is pretty fun. =)
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #14
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

High school was awesome for me, but I devoured every subject and was thus usually quite under-challenged. (Since I ran out of electives, I had to start taking independent studies by senior year.) And then I went to an art college, which I was excited about at first, but I found out that this particular university was at best unorganized and at worst just a pretentious front - but in either case, it didn't seem to prepare any of the students for real life. I was *utterly* bored and continually misled for 4 years and surrounded by the most apathetic crowd I have ever been exposed to. I wish I had either: gone to general college and majored in art or at least majored in Fine Art rather than Commercial Design, rather than just accepting the first scholarship. ;_; The only good things about those years is that I got through a million Playstation games, made a ton of money teaching Adobe programs, and had plenty of time to draw on my own. While waiting for my school to magically deliver the meaning of life (and as a kid, I mistakenly thought that was what schools were supposed to do) I did learn to become more independent, which led to my ability to now have my own full-time home business (completely unrelated to any skills I picked up during school and completed non-dependent on a degree in my case.)

So my advice to those still in school is to continually question your education, demand to be challenged, and don't just assume the professors know what they are talking about. Insist on actually learning. Think about your future plans and make your school cater to you. If it isn't, find another one or go off on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
...I fix the electrical systems on fighter aircraft....
Also, that is seriously the sexiest job ever. I am jealous. *_*
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
cupofjasmine
felidaepounce

I graduated from High School last year. High School was definitely not the best four years of my life. I liked the school I graduated from, but I couldn't stand 80% of the people. The only good thing that I got out of High School was graduating. While everyone was taking pictures with each other after the ceremony, I left immediately. Now, I will be starting Cosmetology School in a week and I'm really looking forward to it. Plus, there's about 20-30 people in my school and that's a plus.
cupofjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote