Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 02-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
MissFelis

Any other BSG cosplayers out there?

Any other BSG cosplayers out there, or anyone with plans for a Battlestar cosplay? I'm kind of in love with the re-imagined series and plan to try to make a flight suit or a dress uniform. Anybody else have any tips or stories to share? I'd love any advice on how to make a flight suit, especially the helmet.

Unread 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

I am working my way through the new series (currently midway through season 3) and really enjoying it! I haven't seriously considered doing a cosplay from the series but it would be pretty neat. I do like their uniforms. Maybe look at the armor forum for ideas on the helmet? I know people have gotten good results with pepakura for similar types of helmets.
E. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
MissFelis

Thank you much, I'll look into it
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
ten_again
ten

Been doing that for a while now, and trying to convince friends of mine to join in.

I always liked the idea of the Colonial Marines, so I decided to Cosplay that.

The helmet the marines wear is actually a type of snowboard helmet that you can just get off the internet for about $25.

Have tons of links and info about the actual stuff they used for the costumes on the show, so PM me if you would like me to point you in the right direction.

So say we all.
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

I put together a bdu type outfit like worn on kobol. It was all from a surplus store.

I'd reeeeeaaaaaaally love to make a viper flightsuit <3

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
ten_again
ten

I see it in your userpic.

Nice.

I especially like the dogtags!
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
dbchan
Minty McNomNoms

Thanks!

The dogtags, viper patch and LT. pins are all replicas from ebay and were fairly cheap.

I've actually been doing research into the flightsuit lately-

It's made of a fabric called ""Chroma Sommers", using the colors gold/green and green/purple I think. It's an expensive fabric, and i'm not sure they even make the BSG colors anymore. From what I gather, the best route to go nowadays is to sew up a green flightsuit and airbrush on the metallic highlights.

When propworx ran the BSG auction, they listed the shoes as Nike Air's. I'm not sure what subset. The .pdf catalogs are still available for download from the propworx site and have some really nice reference photos: Catalog and auction listings.

There's an ongoing thread that's got some information directly from the costume designer here: invaluable resource.

Hope everyone's ventures are going well! So Say We All!

Blonadine.net -
Facebook me!

"Nothin but the rain."
dbchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Been thinking of doing a Starbuck flight suit, or uniform cosplay. BSG is love <3

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
ten_again
ten

These guys have great costume guides:

http://www.scifihero.net/forums/index.php?showforum=159

I based my stuff on them.

ShiNo an M-10 Tank Destroyer? I have to see that one!
Unread 05-03-2011, 05:04 AM   #10
Enko

You can get custom BSG dog tags here: http://store.qmxonline.com/Battlesta...Tags_p_21.html

Would like to do the dress uniform or tac team uniform.
Enko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
ten_again
ten

Personally I ordered my dogtags through these guys:

http://www.shopgalronmfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=shopgalron&Cat egory_Code=PER

They are cheaper and give you several options. I went for the mini-series upgrade myself, which gives you a large Colonial Phoenix on the back of each of the tags.
Unread 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Pvt sleepy

Your helmet only cost you $25? The only ones I could find above a size small were at least $35. Maybe I should have held out before buying two of them.
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Pincer
LEAGUE OF DIRTY OLD MEN

I also got my custom tags through GalronMFG and same with the last of the green enlisted rank pins I needed. They do a bang up job on the tags. Highly recommended!

ScifiHero is also a good source of information on the uniform construction. Blues and greys have to be done from scratch. The green and tan BDUs can be purchased and easily modified. Any standard olive drab green will work for the regular uniforms. As for the tans the show used Law Pro for those. One of The Colonial Fleet members acquired a set from the Propworx auction and took pics on how things were sewn up. Very simplistic really. The tans do use different buckles for the pockets compared to the greens.

For your tanktops a lot of us are going through http://www.anovos.com. They're pretty good replicas.

I can't say much on the flight suits other than the Sommers material is very expensive. I do the deck crew coveralls and BDU uniforms primarily.

Defender of Claires worldwide from creepy Leons. (big inside joke, needed to be there for the experience!!)

I Claim King From Tekken!

The Resident Evil Cosplay Thread!! -- Reaks of retarded fun!
Pincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
Saber61
So Say We All...

I got my dog tags from GalronMFG as well. Topnotch quality and very quick to ship. The time listed on the website turned out to be quite a bit shorter a wait then I expected. As others have recommended, Do get the season 1 upgrade, makes a huge difference.
Saber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

I'm making a bdu right now, only vest so far as I can't aford the pins or patches for a jacket right now. I was thinking about getting a FN 5.7 pistol to go with it but they're super expensive and hard to get in the UK, but ironicly the Cx Storm rifle they use is dirt cheap on most BB gun sites.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote