Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
K1k2

A short list of things I think can help.

I have been looking at the threads a lot lately and wanted to put together some information that I think can help some people. Kind of like a quick Reference if you will. I'm sure this has been done but I wanted to post my own two cent on it.

1. "Your goal should be to be healthy, Not a certain weight and then to stop."
I say this because I see a lot of people saying they want to be a certain weight. You should research with a Doctor or a personal trainer,(Or hell the internet) to find out what Healthy for you.

2. "Don't change your diet, Change your eating habits."
Diets don't really work. They might work for the short term, but look at Atkins. Almost as soon as you stop fallowing it, its comes back with vengeance. Change your eating habits. If you change it slowly over time, the results will be better if you try to stop could turkey. Some can do this (Like with soda, Sweets, Fatty foods, and over abundance of carb) but its not the norm. Take it slow and get use to it, and chance in you appearance and eating habits with it.

3. " You are what you eat."
That being said about your diet(Now using term to describe what you ingest) You should research what you need to eat for what you want. If you don't want to put on muscle you don't need to take protein shakes everyday. If you want to bulk up, eating just salads everyday wont help you. We live in the age where knowledge is truly only a click away, don't just go off what your friends and family say, look into it. It should be important to you.

4. "Its didn't get on you over night, don't expect it to leave over night."
I can not state this one enough. I know many people who will start working out hard and eating(What they think or have been told is-)Right, Only to be very discouraged with they check the scale to see little to no change(If not back tracking) in the first month. The reason why this happens because it takes time for the body to change. Also that Muscle weights much more then fat. Give yourself about a month, and please don't check the scale more then once a week(Its the easiest way to get discouraged).

5. "Everyone's different. Don't get mad or discouraged because of others."
Every ones body is diff rent. I know people who can eat all the sweets and carbs they want, and still have a amazing body, well others have to bust there bottoms for very little change. Getting mad and stopping won't fix anything. However, getting mad and using it to push yourself can be good.

6. "Working out is great, But if you don't rest, it wont change."
Resting can be just as important as working out. If you do 500 push ups a day for a month, I doubt you will get much improvement(You might ever go backwards). When you work out its tearing the muscle fibers and putting lactic acid on them. If you don't give them time to heal, it wont do you any good. A diet full of good foods with Potassium will help with this( like bananas and Spinach, Popeye wasent lieing)will help speed up recovery time along with being very hydrated. Working out certin body parts a day works well(In my appion) like Chest and arms one day, Abs the next, and legs the day after and then go back to arms and chest.

7. "If you don't push yourself, you won't change."
The best way to get better or faster is to push youself as hard as you can for as long as you can when you work out. After working out for some time you will learn the diffrence between good hurt and bad hurt(Silly I know but still). Pushing yourself takes time to get use too but its for the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjr3412 View Post
"Does it pass the common sense test?"
Whenever I see things like super low calorie diets, eating certain foods to "boost" metabolism, spinning in circles to lose fat or other similar nonsense; I have to wonder why anyone would believe it. Does it sound healthy? Does it sound maintainable? Can you think of a logical reason why something might be true? If it passes all of these options, then consider as a possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0ven0m View Post
The only 2 constants I can think of are hard work and consistency. You let those two principles guide your approach to a healthier life, and you will achieve it.
These are just a few. If theres anything Else that y'all can think of let me know and I'll add it. This is just some other most common things I have seen being posted about in the threads.

Last edited by K1k2 : 02-23-2011 at 06:52 PM.
K1k2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Xcele

I'm pretty inspired man =')
Xcele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

I sign on this thread with my support.

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
HomeDepot

I think you should just copy and paste this advice onto 95% of the "trying to loose weight" threads.
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:43 AM   #5
K1k2

Thats pretty much why I did it, I think this very genreral. I did not want to get into work out plans or meal's. Y'all have anything to add to this?
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Rjr3412
o-iii<0

"Does it pass the common sense test?"
Whenever I see things like super low calorie diets, eating certain foods to "boost" metabolism, spinning in circles to lose fat or other similar nonsense; I have to wonder why anyone would believe it. Does it sound healthy? Does it sound maintainable? Can you think of a logical reason why something might be true? If it passes all of these options, then consider as a possibility.
Rjr3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

I applaud such truth. The unfortunate thing is that years circulating poor information among the public will make certain principles seem true because of some faulty logic. For instance, I love seeing how people talk about specific ab exercises to get rid of that stubborn lower belly fat. Most people think, "oh yeah, I do that exercise, I feel it down there, so that must mean the fat is burning." Same goes for the reduced calorie is all it takes approach. "Oh, I guess if I keep cutting my calories lower and lower, even below 1000, I should be losing a lot of weight really quickly, right?"

The biochemistry and physiology of weight loss/gain is not so black and white as people would hope for. The only 2 constants I can think of are hard work and consistency. You let those two principles guide your approach to a healthier life, and you will achieve it.

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
K1k2

Two very important things there. I added them to the first post.
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
HomeDepot

I've noticed a lot of threads getting started lately that would be answered by this one. So I'm gonna do some shameless thread-ressing to get it back on the front page.
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

I can this to the thread directory for you ( and fix the typo in the title ^_^; )
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
AnalexBeetleBum
Ghibli Girls' Kushana

Something that you touched briefly on that is extremely important is hydration, as part of both a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Think about it: when you're really working out you end up dripping with sweat. Where does it come from? Your body's supply of hydration, which it needs to function properly. That is why it's so important to replenish that supply. Working out without keeping properly hydrated can lead to serious problems. I learned that the hard way by nearly passing out in the middle of a workout. Any drink will hydrate you, even soda (but keep in mind that all that sodium and sugar is not doing you any favors), but water is best.

Drinking water plays a key role in a healthy diet by satisfying your body's need for hydration, perceived as thirst, which can be mistaken for hunger. An hour after lunch and you're hungry again? Slowly drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. You may find you're not hungry anymore. If you are genuinely still hungry, listen to your body and have a snack. But instead of reaching for those potato chips, try having some baby carrots, a light yogurt, or even some whole grain crackers. Just make sure to stick to the serving size.

That's my two cents. Feel free to add or critique

I'm also an admin over at Real Women of Gaming.

Last edited by AnalexBeetleBum : 05-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
AnalexBeetleBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
BraveKnight

This is some of the most simple but effective advice I've read. Thanks K1k2 for posting it! I was talking to a friend of mine last night who has been going through some real rough spots in his life and all I could hear from him were reasons why he doesn't try to turn it all around. Not to try and take away from the personal problems or experiences that happen to many of us, but you can't give yourself MORE reasons to not want to change your life into something better. If you are unhealthy or aren't happy with your life and you know you want to change it then only you can make it happen. Many of the people on this forum will try to encourage you or give you advice if you need it but in the end we aren't going to be at your home making sure you workout when you say you need to, or maintain a healthier diet.

If I were to try and add anything it would be to start developing a better mindset. If you keep thinking about how you aren't achieving something or how your life is so bad that you shouldn't even bother then nothing will change. If you look at the things that are wrong in your life though and start thinking about HOW you can solve them and change them rather then how hopeless they are you will develop the willpower necessary to keep being consistent in your pursuit for a better life.
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalexBeetleBum View Post
Something that you touched briefly on that is extremely important is hydration, as part of both a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Think about it: when you're really working out you end up dripping with sweat. Where does it come from? Your body's supply of hydration, which it needs to function properly. That is why it's so important to replenish that supply. Working out without keeping properly hydrated can lead to serious problems. I learned that the hard way by nearly passing out in the middle of a workout. Any drink will hydrate you, even soda (but keep in mind that all that sodium and sugar is not doing you any favors), but water is best.

Drinking water plays a key role in a healthy diet by satisfying your body's need for hydration, perceived as thirst, which can be mistaken for hunger. An hour after lunch and you're hungry again? Slowly drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes. You may find you're not hungry anymore. If you are genuinely still hungry, listen to your body and have a snack. But instead of reaching for those potato chips, try having some baby carrots, a light yogurt, or even some whole grain crackers. Just make sure to stick to the serving size.

That's my two cents. Feel free to add or critique
A note on top of that is that if you don't drink enough you will have a false weight loss, meaning when you do get the water back into your system, you will probably get demotivated by a weight gain.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Jia Jem
replicant
Rock Star Admin

10. It's "lose" weight. NOT "loose". /end spelling peeve (You don't have to add that, btw. Just being silly.)