Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Shuko

I've Been Shorn

So yesterday I went in and had about twenty inches lopped off.

No, I didn't get into a random swordfight and miss my jump, resulting in a loss of everything from the knees down. I went to my hairstylist after a five-year growing period, and I had her cut my waist-length hair down to about shoulder length. I tend to make these sorts of decisions on the spur of the moment, but I haven't regretted it yet. The shorter hair looks fuller and bounces more than the long, heavy hair did, and it's MUCH easier to clean. Plus, as an always welcome bonus, I donated my lopped off locks to "Locks of Love," a charity that creates human hair wigs for cancer patients who lose their own hair because of the chemotherapy. It's a nice thing to do if you're thinking about a change, and I'd highly recommend it. Plus, if you do that, oftentimes you can even get a discount on your haircut, lol.

Do you guys make drastic hair changes? How often? Do you ever horribly regret your decisions? I've done this sort of thing a few times in the past, but I've had it cut much shorter than this before, and I hated it that short. I think I may have learned my lesson.
Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

No pictures?!

I've had near-or-at waist length hair for most of my life, but I did make two big cuts in my early 20s. (Err, and once when I was like 10, and again at 13, but I have no pictures of those to really show the differences!)

I cut my hair to a nice layered cut that barely hit my shoulders after it had been past chest length, and absolutely loved it. But it grew out so quickly that I decided the following year that I had to make a bigger change, and I did. Once my hair was down to a good deal past my shoulders, I cut it all off. It didn't even cover my neck anymore. It was adorable and fun and I loved it. Soooo easy to wash. My hair takes so long to dry now, and I kinda miss how all I had to do was literally shake my head and I was good coming out of the shower back then. Hahahaha.

Since then, however, I've mostly just been growing it out. I got a few cuts here and there, nothing major, and now a little over 3 years later it's back past my waist. Haha. My hair grows so fast...

I don't see myself cutting it off again anytime soon as I'm really enjoying having really long hair again. Maybe someday.

I attached some images! First is my haircut before & after in 2006, and then my haircut before & after in 2007 when I chopped it all off. Lastly I threw in a picture of my hair now. If you look closely behind my back you can see that it's just past my waist. Kind of. Maybe I should just take a back shot sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg haircut2006.jpg (90.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg haircut2007.jpg (110.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg currenthair2011.jpg (34.8 KB, 0 views)

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Actually, I just got my hair cut last week. Lost about ten inches, going from just past mid-back to shoulder length. I plan on donating my hair, just haven't gotten around to going to the post office. I've donated twice before, both times sending in realllly long braids (~25 inches the first time, and ~20 the second time).I usually go years without a haircut, so when I finally do go to the stylist, there's more than enough hair to send. I always enjoy that light-headed feeling you get immediately after all the hair gets chopped off. I can't say I regret my new cut, but I wish I hadn't asked for layers. Now my hair's a pain to put up in a ponytail, and no way do I want to go all summer with my hair down.

@Michi: I love your hair-so pretty!

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
sweetnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I got my hair cut last week; it had gotten pretty long and scraggly, so the stylist took off probably six or seven inches of (mostly fried) hair and now I have a little layered cut that hits about my shoulders.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the new 'do. Maybe I'll take some later to show it off.

I think it's kicky, and I enjoy having hair I don't have to fight with. Since it's shorter, it looks much wavier, so I generally just use a diffuser to dry it and go. Of course, over the weekend my mom said "what happened to your hair? It looked so nice the other day." SORRY I CAN'T BE SALON-FRESH EVERY MOMENT OF MY LIFE, MOOOOM. My mom's a black hole for my self-esteem, though, so I am trying to ignore it and focus on the fact that I have a cute, easy-care haircut for the first time in ages. MOOOOM.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Do want pics. One of the benefits of being preggers is that your hair gets thick and shiny and beautiful. I think it's especially noticeable when you wear it short.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I've gone through having very long hair, to then hacking it all off at various intervals of no real significance. I've had it dyed almost every shade of blonde to brown I can imagine and frequently regret various changes made.

Recently I considered the 'Asian Mullet' but reconsidered.

So I am considering just having it cut to my shoulders and dying it a nice light brown so my roots aren't as noticeable when it grows out.

My hair is currently shorter in the front but in the back falls past the area your back bra-strap hits.

As a child I had very long hair.

Then it's been fairly short. You can also see the color of my natural hair at my roots.

And then I grew it out a bit.

and I haven't touched it in 4 months.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
sam vimes
A real live wire

Ya'll females get no sympathy or understanding from me: I'm male and I've been dealing with male-pattern baldness since the tender age of nineteen.

F ALL YA'LL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Kildread
I can fix it!

I barely comb my hair at all, I normally keep it short so I don't need to do much anyway :P

Amusing note: I have the worst bedhair head ever on my driver's license and health insurance card --- that's what going for card photos at 8AM on a weekend does to you.

(The only reason I'm posting here is because it's in the off-topic forum)
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
nannyogg
:)

I usually grow mine waist length and then chop it short. I haven't cut it (other than taking off the last few inches of my pony tail to get rid of split ends) since about 2005 but I'm still liking it so I haven't chopped it off yet.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
RoninEclipse2G
Hope rides ALONE!

I'm a longhaired guy, and I've grown it out twice now. The first was after I got out of high school 13 years ago, then I cut it off for a job in 2003. That got donated to locks of love. I kept the short hair for a while until I finally got tired of having to get it trimmed all the freaking time. That was about 2 years ago now. It's down around my collar bone right now.
RoninEclipse2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
pltshp
i did what i have to do

I went from shoulder length brown to short red/purple a few years back. I kept it for a while but eventually got sick of it and let it grow. Now it's this, closer to my original. I always dye my hair red/purple but it fades like nobody's business, haha. I didn't regret going short but it just didn't suit me well.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #12
Clyde_2.0
Wakka Wakka Wakka...

Summer 2009 I chopped about 15 inches off. At the time I was living in Dallas and it was just too hot for me to keep up with. Doesn't help that I'm very sensitive to heat, it was so bad that I couldn't sleep at night with how freaking hot it was. Anyways, I got a really cute a-line bob and figured out that I look much better with medium-short hair.
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

I haven't made DRASTIC, drastic changes...but last year I went from a few inches past my shoulder to a little big longer than a boy cut. I like it though.
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

I go through those moments. Seems like I always chop off my hair once it gets to my waist. I've done this maybe 7 times in my life so far? My hair grows fairly fast.

What use to be amusing, and has now become annoying, is when the stylist asks me "are you sure you want me to do this?" or "do you need me to call you an ambulance in case you faint?" ...why? I made the decision to come in to cut my hair. It's not like I'm being forced against my will. >.> In fact, it's more then long enough to be donated so stop asking me a million times if I'm going to freak out. -_-
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
Squeaker-Ed
*choo choo* :3

Ehehehe...... My hair's been horrible.

Back in elementary school, my hair was long, past my shoulders, and really easy to deal with. Then came jr. high, and I gained really curly FRO-HAIR, and really horrible bangs. In the end of 8th grade, I got the majority of that cut off and layered, which was a horrible idea, of course, considering I've got horrid curly hair. Then came the end of 10th grade, where I just had about 6 inches cut off to a style like Sakura's Tsubasa hairstyle, minus bangs, where it worked rather nicely until it started getting longer.

Now I'm debating how short I want it next time....

(And no, I don't have pictures, sadly.)

DEBATING: Zobiko (House of the Dead EX), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), IT'S A SECRET {x3} (Assorted)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Rusty, & Dinah (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote