Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons > Disney Cosplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

The Rapunzel Wig Thread!! :)

I'm in the midst of planning my own Rapunzel cosplay, and the thing I am most stumped about is the wig! I know what look I'm going for, but I'm not sure exactly what wig to get for it. For kicks, here are some Rappy cosplays with exquisite wigs:

My personal favorite and something I could only ever dream of doing!-

The fabulous Miss Traci Hines!

I know I want a pretty much floor-length wig, but I want it to be thick, like Traci's. I've been searching for wigs on eBay and have found some that I like, but I also want to get extensions to make the wig fuller (and heaver! DX). Problem is, I haven't been able to find any wigs with matching extensions. I have kicked around the idea of finding a cheap-but-nice long wig and purchasing 2 of them, then making wefts out of the second wig to sew into the first. Any ideas?

Here are a few wigs I am looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Caramel-Blonde-Long-Straight-Cosplay-Wig-HD025-/150427754966?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=it em23063161d6
http://cgi.ebay.com/40-Heat-Resistant-Gold-Blonde-Long-Cosplay-Wig-850953-/150557424053?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=it em230debf9b5
http://cgi.ebay.com/51-Extra-Long-Bang-Blonde-White-Green-Str-Cosplay-Wig-/280565108327?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&var=&ha sh=item870b44d19d
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Caramel-Blonde-Extra-Long-Wavy-Cosplay-Wig-3A001-/110537403435?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=it em19bc8aec2b

I much prefer the yellower wigs over the platinum blonde ones, though I would be fine with a natural blonde wig as well.

Feel free to post your own questions about wigs for Punzie as well as advice for me! Thanks!

EDIT
Okay, so I just figured out that Amphigory carries extensions/loose hair that could be usable....

Last edited by Suzie Blue : 02-22-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Suzie Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
Vince Noir
Queen of the Nerds

You won't want to mix extensions from Amphigory with wigs bought online from Ebay. The colors most likely will not match, and heat resistant fibers and non-heat resitant fibers have different qualities that will stand out.

As far as the Rapunzel wig, Traci started out with a shoulder-length wig and then added a bunch of extensions onto it.
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Hi, Vince! I definitely wasn't planning to mix wigs from eBay/Amphigory. If I got extensions from Amphigory, I would get a matching wig from there as well. I have been considering just getting the "Really Long Wig" from there and working with it, but it is sooo expensive! And it is a really light blonde, which I'm not too fond of. I'd rather not spend $125 on a wig I don't even like!

Thanks for the tip about Traci's wig! I've considered doing the same, but I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to do it. The wefted extensions from Amphigory are wayyy to expensive, but the loose hair seems rather affordable. I'm just a little nervous about the process of wefting loose hair, as I've heard it is rather tedious & time-consuming. I would also have NO idea how much of the hair to buy, as I would pretty much want the full 48" of each bundle of hair. I would assume that each unit of hair would make 1 weft, though maybe 2 if split in half. I literally have no idea of where to start on this! ^.^ I'll definitely be doing my research!
Unread 02-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
Vince Noir
Queen of the Nerds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Blue View Post
Thanks for the tip about Traci's wig! I've considered doing the same, but I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to do it. The wefted extensions from Amphigory are wayyy to expensive, but the loose hair seems rather affordable. I'm just a little nervous about the process of wefting loose hair, as I've heard it is rather tedious & time-consuming. I would also have NO idea how much of the hair to buy, as I would pretty much want the full 48" of each bundle of hair. I would assume that each unit of hair would make 1 weft, though maybe 2 if split in half. I literally have no idea of where to start on this! ^.^ I'll definitely be doing my research!
What I plan on for my Rapunzel wig is creating the top part aka the double dutch-braids and then use cotton batting, wrapping it with extensions for bulk then attaching that to the wig. I am planning on adding some of the 48 inch extensions to the top to integrate into the huge braid to make it flow together. One thing that really irked me about the Disney Park Rapunzel is how her top hair and the braid weren't attached. It made for unnatural movement and just looked BAD.
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

I think the reason why it was split was so that she wouldn't have so much weight on her head; imagine walking around for 8hrs with that much hair on your head!! Attaching the length of the hair to her dress puts the weight on her body rather than her head and neck.

I had thought about using batting as well! I'm just not sure how that would work out. I don't really want to have much glue involved because I'd like to be able to disassemble the wig for maintenance if needed.
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #6
Vince Noir
Queen of the Nerds

Quote:
I think the reason why it was split was so that she wouldn't have so much weight on her head; imagine walking around for 8hrs with that much hair on your head!! Attaching the length of the hair to her dress puts the weight on her body rather than her head and neck.

I had thought about using batting as well! I'm just not sure how that would work out. I don't really want to have much glue involved because I'd like to be able to disassemble the wig for maintenance if needed.
You would not use glue. You would wrap the fibers around the batting then you could spray it with some hairs spray and hitting with some LOW heat to set it in place.
Unread 03-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
sayurikawaii

Hi! I'm also looking for a wig, but as I'm blonde and I have the same colour of hair as Rapunzel, I have thought of buying extensions instead of a wig? what do you think? because I can't find extensions longer than 20"..( I don't know where to search) and I think it would be more expensive? ( Sorry for my bad english v.v") and thanks ^0^
sayurikawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

Are you thinking about putting the extensions in your own hair? If so, you would need human-hair extensions which are very expensive, at least for high-quality ones. Also consider the fact that you would have to put in the extensions, style, and take down/out everything in your hair every time you cosplayed Rapunzel. That would be a lot of work! Wigs can be expensive, but they are definitely worth the money.
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

I have an idea. ("liiiiiightbulb", as Gru would say). I have an idea that I think just might work despite the fact that it would be very expensive but I don't care because it would be awesome. I reeeeeeeally love what Usagi did with her wig and I soooo want to do something like that- actually having 70 ft would be amazing, and I'm going to see if I just might be able to do it. *evil laugh*
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

Quote:
Are you thinking about putting the extensions in your own hair? If so, you would need human-hair extensions which are very expensive, at least for high-quality ones. Also consider the fact that you would have to put in the extensions, style, and take down/out everything in your hair every time you cosplayed Rapunzel. That would be a lot of work! Wigs can be expensive, but they are definitely worth the money.
I've used fake extensions with my natural hair (For princess Leia) before and it looked fine. Especially if she intends to do the braid. She'll just need to find a discreet means of attaching the extensions.

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
protectorkorii

If anyone is still interested, heres a link to a great tutorial for making a Rapunzel wig. Its the massive braid. So if you don't mind spending time and money, I say use this idea.

http://echoing-artemis.deviantart.co...al-1-205175201
protectorkorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Suzie Blue
Stuck in the 90s

I saw that tutorial a little while ago- it's amazing!! And really generous of her to put up the instructions like that. ^.^
Unread 07-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Palegia

Have you seen this tutorial? http://courtoonxiii.deviantart.com/a...rial-214656639
That's the one I used. I plan on making my wig again, sometime, when I have a bit more money. That is my current wig, made using the tutorial. I uesd the colour 613, but I managed to buy all of my supplies locally. I bought the extensions first, then I clipped a little bit of the extension and went to the wig store with it. I used the colour 613, like the girl in the tutorial did. It seems like a pretty universal colour to me.
Palegia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
FinalFantasyXKH
Princess Summon Dagger

I'm thinking of doing this cosplay, with long hair thats just there. It won't be quite perfect, but I'm thinking of this: http://www.epiccosplay.com/50-carame...splay-wig.html
With these: http://www.epiccosplay.com/30-butter...extension.html

Thoughts?
Kairi School Uniform from Kingdom Hearts 2:100% done
Kairi zippered dress from Kingdom Hearts 2: 100% done
Garnet/ Dagger jumpsuit from Final Fantasy IX:100% done
Shiki from The World Ends With You: 100% done
Rapunzel from Tangled: 99% done
Padme Amidala White Jumpsuit from Star Wars Attack of the Clones: 50% done

PLANNED COSPLAYS
Kisala's "Light Suit" from Rogue Galaxy

CONVENTIONS
Sacanime Con
Fanime Con
FinalFantasyXKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
Harls

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalFantasyXKH View Post
I'm thinking of doing this cosplay, with long hair thats just there. It won't be quite perfect, but I'm thinking of this: http://www.epiccosplay.com/50-carame...splay-wig.html
With these: http://www.epiccosplay.com/30-butter...extension.html

Thoughts?
It says one is caramel and the other butterscotch - I'd be worried the colors wouldn't match up correctly! You might be able to integrate them together somehow to be pretty though.
Harls is offline   Reply With Quote