Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Nagare_Boshi

Pokeball Prop?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make a pokeball that's hinged in the back (so it is able to open if you push a button in the front)? Like what types of material would you use to make the Pokeball? And how you would attach the hinge and button release in the front of it?
Nagare_Boshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Aearon

You can find pokeballs like that on eBay for approximately $9 with shipping. Trying to make one yourself will be a lot more hassle than it's worth, imo.
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Kaliza

I agree. I have some from way back when Burger King was giving them out, they work just like that-- hinged and you push the button to open (the ones I have came with a golden Pokemon card). I'm pretty sure there are other pokeball toys out there like that too.
Kaliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Shinto the Wise
The Mechanic

I agree with Aearon, though it would still be cool to make your own Pokeball, in a pride-sorta way. Now, how to construct it...that would have to go into much more detail. If you want help on that, you can PM me, and I can try to help. XD
Shinto the Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Shuko

They sell those at Wal-Mart now. I saw them the other day and had a cow, lol.
Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Aearon

Oh really? Cool. I don't spend a lot of time in the toy aisles anymore. Problem solved though. =)
Aearon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Nagare_Boshi

Aearon: yeah, I was thinking about just going on eBay, but I wasn't too sure. I was just thinking of making one when I have some free time, just for fun haha!

Kaliza: yeah, I remember those! They were my favorite toys from a fast food place! but I think I sadly lost all of them, I still have my gold Mewtwo card though!

Shinto the Wise: Being able to say that I made one is sort of what I'm aiming for. I plan on cosplaying from the series at one point or another, but just trying to make one would be awesome! XD

Shuko: They sell them at Wal-Mart? I haven't been there in a while, but next time I get the chance to, I'll be sure to go check it out!

Thank you everyone who replied!
Unread 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Dream walker
OMG it's a guy!

So you wanna make a pokeball? Check out mine here:http://joshkreza.tumblr.com/

Its pretty easy.

1.get a clear plastic acrylic ball of your size and choice. I got mine from hobby lobby for about a buck a piece. you may have to cut a small hoop off as these were meant to be Christmas bulbs.

2.Paint the two halves the corresponding colors with spray paint. Obviously red and white for normal.

3. to give the poke ball weight, stuff it with one of those shopping bags you get from target or walmart.

4. glue together, with the bag inside.(superglue or contact cement works best.)

5. cut two circles and a strip of foam to form the black band. I actually used rubber tape because I had so much of it lying around. I'm still working on a good way to cut the circles cleanly.

and you are done. hope this helps you.
(btw this is a tutorial derrived from an image that I found while observing the boards. I did not make the tutorial nor am i taking credit for it.)
Dream walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 01:10 PM   #9
Nagare_Boshi

Dream walker: thank you. is hobbylobby an on-line store? and is this just for looks, or can it actually open?
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Dream walker
OMG it's a guy!

yes hobby lobby sells online, as well as many other websites. The technical name is called a clear acrylic plastic ball; but one could get away with searching clear ornament bulb.

Unfortunately, it does not open or function. It serves as a prop only.
Dream walker is offline   Reply With Quote