Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 10-24-2003, 01:36 AM   #1
Hand Maid May
~Perverted Catgirl~

For those who have seen fruits basket...

Well, I made a fan costume for Kyo..the angry Kyo-girl. My friend was supposed to be a Yuuki girl, but she lazed it up and didn't have anything finished by expo. Well this year she says she will, and shes gonna get all prepped out, so to speak, but I wanted to update my costume..make it more Kyou..but I was at a loss for ideas...

what should I ass or change about this costume to make it resemble more of Kyos personality?? You can't see it in the pics, but I was wearing thigh hoigh orange socks and brown loafers, I think I want to change those to like punky black knee high boots or something, maybe add a slanted belt...?? and thats all i got, so any suggestions would basically kick ass!!

Hand Maid May is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #2
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

I love it! Cute idea! As ya can tell from my Avatar I'm a Kyo fan too...yes everyone laugh at the dork who named her cat Kyo ;P Anyway, does the outfit have a tail? When hes pissed they ususally show his tail all strait and fluffed out, so that would be another way to get across the anger =^-^=...other than that, I think body language and facial expressions would be the only other things that could represent Kyo's personality. Again, great idea and it looks cute!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
Hanyaan
at paranoia's poison door

Yeah, you need to punk it up a bit. Kyo is sweet but has an angry exterior. I"d recommend having a spike bracelet on the other wrist, and maybe have big platform boots with buckles...painted orange. ^_^ And definitely add either a slanted belt or a studded belt, or maybe both!
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
Hand Maid May
~Perverted Catgirl~

sweet! great ideas the both of you!!

I will deffinately add that fluffed tail, thats a great idea!

and yeah, Hanyaan thats what I was thinking, about those boots and the belt!! I think I'd keep the boots black, I don't wanna overwhelm the orange, specially since this time around I wanna spike my hair orange, not sure how id do that if I want to keep the hat though....hmmm...

it was really funny, I found this spiked ORANGE bracelet, but it looked all cheap and plastic so meh, Im gonna look arounf hot topic cuz sometimes they do have a spiked orange metal braclet!!

thanks for the ideas the both of you! I can't wait till this all comes together!!

so...again..should I keep the hat?? how can I spruce my hair up under th hat?? hmmm..thats the a ponderer!! heh

Animeisha, your cat is sooooo cute!! I wanna little Kyo kitty!! :3
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:22 PM   #5
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Thanks! he's a handful sometimes, but I love him, unfortunately he has Feline Leukemia, so I have no idea how long I'll get to have him, but we enjoy the time we have. =^_^=

As for the hat, I love it, it's adorable, keep it, and about your hair maybe you could thread some orange ribbons through the braids, to make it stand out, or string if ribbon is to girly for your tastes. I fyou were going to wear it more than once which you should, ^_^ you could do a version without the hat too maybe, with kitty ears and the spiked hair...I like the idea of a spiked bracelet, and maybe a collar if you're already going to hot topic...I think it would definatly add some more punk bad-ass to it. A lot of times they have colored spiked collars that match the bracelets. I can't wait to see the final costume, you'll have to post pics!
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:52 PM   #6
Cait

I second the suggestion to put some sort of orange streaks, extentions, or ribbons in the braids. It was the first thing that struck me. The only thing orange on him is the hair and that's the only thing not orange on you.
Cait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
liz-maru
oOcosplay crazedOo

cute cute ^o^
liz-maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:41 PM   #8
KuroBara
dog of the military

Very cute! I'm actually voting against spiked bracelets, because the black / white bead bracelets are what Kyo always wears. His khaki pants have bondage straps, maybe add those to the skirt? I'm not sure how you would go about doing that.

Animeaisha- your avatar is adorable!!!
Unread 10-25-2003, 05:12 PM   #9
Hand Maid May
~Perverted Catgirl~

mmm..so we have votes for and against the spiked bracelets! hmmm

...I do have his black/white bracelet so thats a plus....

see the thing about my hair is that its no longer nice and straight, I permed it recently and it should still have a lot of curl in it for expo....so I wonder if it would still look good in braids?? hmmm... oh and its much shorter now too..hopefully I can get some current pics up soon...

a collar would be cool..I am actually thinking about attaching the tail to my skirt or whatever and also thread a fishing line up to the collar so that it stands straight out at all times..I think that would work...

Im still not sure what to do about the whole shirt thing..my friend like I said is gonna be a yuuki girl and shes gonna try and do the whole sweater vest thing and tie and I don't want to look at all like her, cuz I am pretty sure Kyo would die if that happaned...and the orange fruits basket tee is kinda like a sweater vest....I was thinking ob wearing a black tee shirt or tank top and then just putting a bright orange angry kyo face on it....that would add some stark bold type color to it, and black always loks bad/punk...adn if I can get black boots I htink that would look nice....

..I just don't want to look all halloween!! ^^;;

what do you guys think about that?
Unread 10-26-2003, 08:33 AM   #10
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

I like the orange shirt you have... maybe adding sleeve thingies (fishnet or black thigh highs where you cut off the toes. Sleeve thingies.) will make yours look lots less preppy.
If you could part with enough of your hair, styling it into kitty ears might be fun. It just takes short hair, lots of hairspray, and lots of patience.

Otherwise, the hat is cute. Love the look!

(my vote: spiked bracelets, no; belts, yes.)
Unread 10-26-2003, 06:21 PM   #11
Hand Maid May
~Perverted Catgirl~

ah yes..I do have a fishnet shirt that I used for my "wicked lady costume" that should be cool for the top! thats good, cuz I did like the orange top!!

oh and black thigh highs where I cut of the toes, like to make glove looking things?? hmm.Ihave thsoe too from my rira costume, I'll play with that a bit

I went to get an orange Boa yesterday, but they were all out! >.< oh well..they'll be back!!
Unread 10-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #12
cutekawaii
Cos-BUSINESS

where did you get your shirt o.o
cutekawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2003, 01:50 AM   #13
Hand Maid May
~Perverted Catgirl~

My friend actually bought that shirt for me off of ebay...its bound to show up again...!!

its hidden by my braid but it does have a cute little Kyou neko face and a yuuki-nezumi face,,awww!! I wish it had an onigiri thou..that would have been cute, instead it has two sliced kiwis o.0

Last edited by Hand Maid May : 10-29-2003 at 01:52 AM.
Unread 11-03-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
*Jibrielle*
彡☆WEEEE☆彡

That's so cute!! I love the hat ^_^
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:30 PM   #15
-Nayami-
Makai tenjou!

Yeah, I really like the hat and suggest you keep it.

And about your hair--can you straighten it? It shouldn't be TOO hard to straighten...I got a perm for volume, so I straighten it every day. But maybe that's just my hair...

Anyways, I think you can add a lot of expression through your shoes. Something comfortable yet punky, like bowling-style shoes or boots.

Great idea, though! I'd like to see what you do with it!
-Nayami- is offline   Reply With Quote