Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Comics/Cartoons

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
ovrlnd

Huntress Costume

Hello all,
I wanted to share the work I have been doing for my wife's Huntress Costume. It has been quite a few months so far but is starting to come together nicely and hope to have some test fit shots all together pretty soon. She had picked one of her fully suited costumes from a birds of prey version

Reference Image

I chose however to to incorporate the "H" into the belt buckle as I think it looks better aesthetically, and modify the mask a bit to fit more appropriately on her face. I did however have to call in the help of a good friend who is a historical clothier to assist with the design and fabrication of the cape and cowl because lets face it, my sewing skills are very limited sadly.

here are some pics & thanks for looking.

ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
ovrlnd

More pics of the belt.

Unread 02-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
ovrlnd

Well I got some test fit pics I will share.
I guess I should have explained a little better what everything is made of.

The belt buckle is made of 5 peices of steel. (My other hobby is Jeeps, building them, restoring them, etc.) so I drew what I wanted on my computer printed it out and then made the separate pieces with the drill press, mill, hole saw, torches and welder. Then primed it with a self etch primer, then applied the finished coats after masking.

The belt and it's pouches are all made from leather. I used Tooling sides for the pouches with jean button closures and riveted together. Again I made paper templates first and transferred it to the leather. The leather is fastened together with chicago screws and can be taken apart to be repaired or altered very easily. It is finished with acrylic paint.

The mask, knee and elbow pads are made of craft foam 3/16" sheets and painted with acrylic to match. with velcro closures. The mask I heat formed with a hair dryer to a face form and ran another rib of foam around the edge of the upper portion to stiffen in as well as accept the elastic band so you wouldn't see it.

I had the suit made. the wig needs to be trimmed to look appropriate still but shows some pretty good result. The pics are kind of stoic but was more interested in getting shots of the whole getup not necessarily character pose shots.

Unread 03-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
ovrlnd

Hope to get some pics of the cape & shoulder cowl on tuesday when we test fit the muslin mock up. I may have to scrap that wig for another as I have been trying to see if I can trim it to make it work. The problem is that it seems way too bulky and the bangs on it make it look too mannish. although it's a female wig I keep thinking it would be more appropriate for an 80's hair band cosplay.
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
MissFelis

What a great-looking Huntress! She's one of my favorite DC characters, and I don't think she gets enough love, so it's awesome to see such a well-done costume for her. I can't wait to see the finished product
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Gee2

Well Done!
Gee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
ovrlnd

Thanks for the kind words.
we did do the test fit on the shoulder and cape but she was on a serious time constraint and I did not have time to snap the pics. If all goes well those should be completed next week. I will update as soon as I get some pics. I am really excited about it.
Unread 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
KitKatCaughtcha

It does look just like the ref pic, but is there any way to shorten the stripe? It's making her look like she has really bad camel toe...
KitKatCaughtcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
SvK

It looks nice, especially all the belts and pouches. The horns on her mask seem an inch or two longer than the horns in your reference image.
SvK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
ovrlnd

Thanks for all the input. I am glad to get all this feedback because when you work on something so much you tend to overlook what may be obvious to a new viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKatCaughtcha View Post
It does look just like the ref pic, but is there any way to shorten the stripe? It's making her look like she has really bad camel toe...
LOL. it's the crotch zipper thats causing that look. we plan to address that as best we can with a few more fits to get it to disappear which I believe will be remedied with a little stiffer
undergarment. sadly I cannot shorten the stripe at this point as it is split and sewn into the suit . If I were to have the suit made again it would be without that zipper for sure.

Quote:
It looks nice, especially all the belts and pouches. The horns on her mask seem an inch or two longer than the horns in your reference image.
indeed. to be honest I wasn't too fond of her mask in that image so I decided to pull a mask that was longer that fit her thinner built face.

kind Regards
Unread 04-04-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
ovrlnd

Finally back with some updates. Been super busy with other stuff but have the finished cape & cowl back and looks great. I hope to get more pics when I do the test fit with the suit as I need to apply velcro to the backside of the cowl and to the bodysuit to hold everything in place. I cannot thank my friend donna enough. she really came through huge for me especially meeting the tough criteria of my wife's closterphobia with tight things around her neck and the aluminum boomerang pins I made look good as well.

Unread 04-04-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
ovrlnd

more pics

Unread 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
ovrlnd

updating with our family cosplay pics from a convention today. we had one failure as we were leaving with a huntress elbow pad. everything held up great and we won 2nd place in the group costume contest. These pics are of me (The Shade), my wife (Huntress) and daughter (Ice).

Unread 05-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
ovrlnd