Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AMē

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
Morrissey
Insanely Popular
 
Morrissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
I never said disney was a sponsor of AX 2000 that was just a example of a outside group telling a con what to do and I also had heard something along the line that disney didn't want them to show any bloody anime since the viewing rooms were in the hotel.
You said "That is what we call stating a fact". Nothing you said was a fact. You first mentioned sponsors and your fear of them telling AM2 what to do. That's why I stated Disney was not a sponsor. Disney didn't tell us ANYTHING. You're making assumptions. To state it one more time, Disney did not have any special made rules for us or told us what to do.
__________________
Former AX Staff
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
See that is what we call a topic change I was talking about sponsor but you see this line here "but companies have been known to ruin things they don't understand example is AX 2000" shifted it to a different topic which wasn't about Disney sponsoring AX 2000 but about what happened there "IE" the dealers room thing which I knew happen because well some of the dealers were complaining about it, but it was that deal that got everyone talking about what Disney was going to do next.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
Morrissey
Insanely Popular
 
Morrissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
Well it come into play if most of your money comes from them then they can say we give you x amount of money which you couldn't run this con without so we would like to see these things changed. What I am getting at is the more you have to depend on those sources of money the more they can demand be changed like say if disney was giving you a lot of money they could say we'll for this money we expect you to make sure no one dresses up as disney related stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
That is understandable but companies have been known to ruin things they don't understand example is AX 2000 where they held it at the disneyland hotel area turned out to be a big mistake when after the 1st day they asserted there control over what the con can and can't do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
See that is what we call a topic change I was talking about sponsor but you see this line here "but companies have been known to ruin things they don't understand example is AX 2000" shifted it to a different topic which wasn't about Disney sponsoring AX 2000 but about what happened there "IE" the dealers room thing which I knew happen because well some of the dealers were complaining about it, but it was that deal that got everyone talking about what Disney was going to do next.
YOU brought up Disney. YOU are the one making assumptions about AX 2000. So what happened at AX2000 that had a sponsor take over AX or control the convention? It never happened. That's what I'm trying to tell you. I mentioned the dealer's hall because that is the only thing that can be confused with a sponsor controlling AX. If that isn't what you were referring to then what? I'd like to know. You brought this thread off topic. I'm just posting a response since you are very inaccurate with your assumptions.
__________________
Former AX Staff
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
I brought up Disney in the other notes as an example of a group that has a lot of inside power in Anaheim which has had in the past several conflicts with AX the 2000 one was on there property so that was totally an area which they could control and I believe I remember the AX around when Kingdom Hearts was big they wanted AX to have anyone cosplaying a Disney Char to wear something that showed they weren't part of Disney. The reason i picked Disney out is that is one of the discount area's on the passport is for there place so one would reason from that they could be a sponsor.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #20
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
But anyways since I feel this is just going to end up in a shouting match it's best to just end it at that.Oh and if you feel the need to replay to my comments just message them to me no need to fight on here.

Last edited by Jr. : 03-14-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #21
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain
 
LelouchYamazaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 581
Jr. so basically I was a con goer as well in 2000 and again when as well as 03-06 and after reading posts on both side some of your comments were misleading at times which led to the responses.

For a con to exist and hold events and guests money is required from either charging the fans or other ways which seems sponsors can help.

Disney enjoyed the cosplayers every year I went asking them to take pictures after it opened and the lil mishap was the only problem I ever heard from. I remember walking with friends and a few disney employees loved some of the original cosplay like KH and were taking pics with no problem.

What Sponsors/how they got sponsors really isn't public info because it has to do with violating private information on both sides, but stuff can be asked is how the sponsors (if and or when announced) would like to see or gain from, which is usually being known or showing something off.

Sponsors usually support the idea of what is being offered so I doubt they will be like no don't do this and such or else it takes away from what the original idea they joined are from and since this is AM2 is at it's first year as a full con wouldn't be a great idea.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:44 AM   #22
Blue6
Photographer
 
Blue6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 253
(Dude, please try to use proper punctuation. I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what you're trying to say.)

You've only named one incident that you claim supports your point, but you are asserting that your point is universal. That is overgeneralizing.

You're making assumptions because you're basing your point only on what you saw. There are little facts and/or testimonial to support it.

I'm not saying that it isn't true (I'm not saying it's true either). Your arguments are just weak because they are very ambiguous.

Quote:
... companies have been known to ruin things they don't understand ...
How? You cite AX2000, but you keep referring to "they." Who are "they" and what did they do? Who was telling the con what they can and can't do? It all just sounds like hearsay to me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
I brought up Disney in the other notes as an example of a group that has a lot of inside power in Anaheim which has had in the past several conflicts with AX the 2000 one was on there property so that was totally an area which they could control and I believe I remember the AX around when Kingdom Hearts was big they wanted AX to have anyone cosplaying a Disney Char to wear something that showed they weren't part of Disney. The reason i picked Disney out is that is one of the discount area's on the passport is for there place so one would reason from that they could be a sponsor.
This post contains more assumptions based on your personal experience. Nothing to support it otherwise, which means it's NOT A FACT.

The list of discounts is very extensive. Are you claiming that they all could be sponsors too?

Last edited by Blue6 : 03-15-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Blue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #23
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
But anyways since I feel this is just going to end up in a shouting match it's best to just end it at that.Oh and if you feel the need to replay to my comments just message them to me no need to fight on here.
For some reason blue you didn't notice my above post about if you want to respond to me on this just message me, no need to drag this thread farther away from its topic and also personal attacks always show how upstanding a person can be don't they.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #24
Morrissey
Insanely Popular
 
Morrissey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
For some reason blue you didn't notice my above post about if you want to respond to me on this just message me, no need to drag this thread farther away from its topic and also personal attacks always show how upstanding a person can be don't they.
I don't see Blue6 attacking you at all. If you mean by him saying your punctuation is bad, it really is. Your posts are very hard to read. Lelouch's punctuation is just as bad. That's not an attack on you or him, just stating a fact.
__________________
Former AX Staff
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #25
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
Everyone has a different point of view I take it as a personal attack because even if you have poor punctuation or not I can understand what someone is saying cause the words are all there but that is besides the point the main point was the whole not dragging the argument out on here and if you wanted to respond to me just message me but apparently that is too hard for some of you.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #26
ElCapitan
Dictator
 
ElCapitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Getting this "back on track", or at least back to the tangent that you started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
That is understandable but companies have been known to ruin things they don't understand example is AX 2000 where they held it at the disneyland hotel area turned out to be a big mistake when after the 1st day they asserted there control over what the con can and can't do.
You're making a lot of assumptions that aren't realistically going to become relevant.

1. You're assuming that sponsors dominate the finances of AMē. I've already told you this isn't the case.

2. You're assuming that sponsors have huge amounts of power. This is incorrect as well. Anime convention sponsors usually get small amenities, most typically advertising. ATLUS is sponsoring some of the registration prizing, but that doesn't mean they decided the price of passports.

3. You're assuming that sponsors will throw their weight around and screw up the convention. There's really no reason to believe this. If some celebrity donates $1,000,000 to the Red Cross, that doesn't mean they're suddenly in charge of relief efforts in Japan. When people give money to a cause, they're typically trusting that organization to do the job, not trying to run the show.

4. You're assuming that if some big sponsor tried to throw their weight around, we couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. Let's say some company came forward offering lots of money, but demanding that we start charging all attendees just to get in. What makes you think we'd accept that sort of deal in the first place?

I'm going to ignore your Disneyland example, since it's already been pointed out as irrelevant.
__________________
Evil: A good career choice.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AMē 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
I am sorry but your picking this one "3. You're assuming that sponsors will throw their weight around and screw up the convention. There's really no reason to believe this. If some celebrity donates $1,000,000 to the Red Cross, that doesn't mean they're suddenly in charge of relief efforts in Japan. When people give money to a cause, they're typically trusting that organization to do the job, not trying to run the show." is kind of cheating cause giving money to a anime convention which is a entertainment show and giving money to help people in japan are like apples and oranges. I can point out places such as college buildings in which people donate a large sum of money but expect that they have the building named after them. I believe there was a person not to long ago who didn't agree how they were running some college sports team he had donated money for there college gym and demanded the money back.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #28
Access
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,061
Personally I'm willing to give it a try, I know I'm going to be there at least one day for artists' alley.

Sponsorship is what it is. It's honestly not worth getting bent out of shape or theorizing over, the staff have their own judgment and experience to work that out.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #29
ElCapitan
Dictator
 
ElCapitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 382
Rather than getting bogged down in the details, let me put it this way:

Corporate sponsors have been a part of anime conventions for over a decade. They haven't ruined AX or Sakuracon, so what makes you think that it'll be a problem here?
__________________
Evil: A good career choice.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AMē 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #30
Jr.
Registered User
 
Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 744
Let me put it this way could you run AM2 just the way your currently running without any sponsors at all?

Last edited by Jr. : 03-16-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.