Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair > User-Submitted Wig FAQ's and Tutorial Threads

Unread 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Adding Wefts to Wigs: The Easy Peasy Way

So, how many of you have either bought wefts or made them, whether by sewing or using silicone caulk, then wondered what to do next?

Adding wefts to a wig is quite easy. This tutorial is aimed at individuals new to modifying their wigs and is more like a set of guidelines. There is plenty of room for your own twists. I prefer to sew my wefts in as you can always rip stitches if you are not happy, but heck. If you wanted to, you could hot glue them into place if you never plan to remove the wefts and are 100% sure of placement within seconds.

Anyway, I hope this tutorial is helpful to someone. Let me know if something is not clear. Feedback is great.

Tutorial here:
http://stealthos-aurion.deviantart.c...Wigs-198896644

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Shuko

That's a really good tutorial for someone who's adding wefts to simply add volume to fallen hair or maybe spikes, of course, but for someone in my situation, who's styling a wig for a ponytail, it doesn't help as much, lol... I'm having to add wefts along the outside of the wig, on the elastic, the velcro, and whatever bits of mesh they have on the front and sides. The front and sides aren't too bad, and neither is the elastic, for that matter, but sewing wefts onto velcro (on the bottom of the wig) is murder on my poor finners... *sucks sore index and middle fingers* I used a thimble, but sometimes I still pricked my fingertips. My mom says that after I sew enough, I'll develop calluses and I won't be as bothered by the needlepricks, but I wonder...

Anyway, great tutorial for that style of hair. I'll have to keep it in mind for future costumes.
Shuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Thank you for the feedback! I was actually starting the process of making a tutorial on how to get a wig "ponytail ready" + how to "fake" a high ponytail. I guess I will go ahead with the tutorial if there is interest.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

I can't wait until I have another wig to play with, now. This looks so simple compared to what I tried last time.

I also think it would be great if you added the other tutorial. It sounds like it would be great, too.
~Borderlands 2: Buzzaxe (Slowly getting there)

Fixing:
~Taokaka~ ~Skyrim Mage~

Cosplay Tumblr
DeviantArt
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
visual-kei-neko
Chib Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
So, how many of you have either bought wefts or made them, whether by sewing or using silicone caulk, then wondered what to do next?

Adding wefts to a wig is quite easy. This tutorial is aimed at individuals new to modifying their wigs and is more like a set of guidelines. There is plenty of room for your own twists. I prefer to sew my wefts in as you can always rip stitches if you are not happy, but heck. If you wanted to, you could hot glue them into place if you never plan to remove the wefts and are 100% sure of placement within seconds.

Anyway, I hope this tutorial is helpful to someone. Let me know if something is not clear. Feedback is great.

Tutorial here:
http://stealthos-aurion.deviantart.c...Wigs-198896644
ok so if i do this will my wig not look like this anymore wen i try to put it up for my miaka cosplay?

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/q...n/100_6358.jpg

lol xD it needs to look like this at some point >.>

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/q...onaChan/10.png
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #6
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Actually, for pigtails you should check out this tutorial from step 3 onward. You would be weaving the extensions into the wig mesh vertically instead of adding them horizontally. Good luck!

CURRENT PROJECTS
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Jyro
TheCreationist

Thank you!
Jyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
YuffieK
RosieGaga

I just used this tutorial to add a tonnnnn of wefts into a wig for my Cleo De Nile costume! It wasn't too difficult, the only trick was trying to sew through the wig while it was on the wighead without tangling the rest of the hair though XD If you do it carefully you can sew in wefts at any part of the wig! ^^ I have a bunch of photos of the wig in this gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/223968/
thanks for the helpful tutorial! :3

YuffieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Senevilla

What about adding a Ponytail-like braid to a short wig?

For reference: http://media.photobucket.com/user/Dark-Hero-Aika/media/CLAMP%20in%20Wonderland%202/Diffusion_Clamp_in_Wonderland_-_-62.png.html?filters[term]=diffusion%20magic&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=1

Could I just clip it on like other pigtails? I'd have to make it myself, and I have no idea what I'm doing. Is there a tutorial for making a clip/adding wefts like this?
Mechacon 2014:
Giselle (Pokemon)
Han Solo (A New Hope)
Merida (Brave)
Senevilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Ion
Lyrical gangster

If you use the wig for other characters, a clip-in would work better. I would avoid a claw clip since it may lay oddly under the rest of the hair. Opt for a barrette or wig/toupee clip if possible as those are flatter and will allow you to clip the braid in without adding bulk.

If this wig is only for that character, you could easily sew in the long wefts, then braid it.

CURRENT PROJECTS