Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Ninja Monkey
Timotei-chan

Making a Kimono - Pattern

A lot of anime cosplays require kimonos, such as Rin from Inuyasha, Temari from Naruto Shippuden, or Ichigo from Bleach. Kimono patterns can usually be found in the 'costumes' part of a patterns book. The one I used for my Rin cosplay is the Simplicity 4080. I found this pattern easy to make and very simple. It is a simple kimono pattern, obi included. Sizes range from 6 to 22. I bought this pattern at Fabricville, although eBay is as good a place as any. Here are a few links to some of the best ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-Patte...em45f5eb e1be

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMPLICITY-4080-...em564292 092c

http://cgi.ebay.com/Simplicity-4080-...em56402a 3ec9

http://cgi.ebay.com/PATTERN-Simplici...em3a630f 116c

The sizes of these patterns vary.
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Ironhill

When I made my Bleech squad member uniform I used Folkwear Patterns komono pattern. I think it is more traditional. Also, they have a pattern for the hakama.
Ironhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, I find myself disgusted by most commercially available kimono patterns fro msewing stores because they're so innacurate (shoulder seams, too long a collar-band, no back seam, etcetera). It's actually easier to not use one, since kimono are basically just eight rectangles. Failing drafting, I second folkwear.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

That Simplicity pattern... I wince a little whenever I see it, to be honest. I don't mind people using it for costume purposes (as long as I don't have to deal with it myself), but if you're looking to make a historical kimono, it is just as wrong as a medieval tunic with a zipper up the back, and to people who are familiar with the source period, just as annoying and offensive.

I'm seconding the Folkwear patterns. They're a bit pricey, but they're meticulously researched and very user-friendly, and come with lots of extra information on sewing and finishing techniques. If you're short on cash, there are very good tutorials online that walk you through making your own pattern. Kimono are neat like that, since they're entirely made out of rectangles. I'm personally a fan of this one, since it also includes alterations for men's kimono, and for making atypical ones, which is useful for a lot of anime characters.

Something else I've found useful is a book called Make Your Own Japanese Clothes, by John Marshall. It has drawn out pattern/cutting diagrams for a whole bunch of garments, and a really neat sizing method where you plug your measurements into a formula in order to get the size of the pieces of fabric you're cutting out.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)

Last edited by Garen : 03-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Ninja Monkey
Timotei-chan

I am a newbie at making kimonos, and the Simplicity pattern just worked really well for me for making my Rin cosplay. Next time I make something similar, I'll look into the Folkwear pattern.
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:44 PM   #6
Demon Doll
*~Blessed Be~*

I used the simplicity pattern. Sad it's not 100% acu. BUT there are NO ZIPPERS! Everything is tie, pretty much.
It still can turn heads. Heck I almost caused a major car accident by crazy people slamming on the brakes just to take my picture.

Costumes working on: American Dream & Dust <3

Cons
Comikaze Sat. only. Bethany Cabe(from iron man comics) and later in the day Dust(from x-men comics)(< Dropped due to unrest in the middle east)
Nuke the fridge con American Dream(if finished) Dust(if AD isn't finished)
Long Beach Comic Con (Maybe)
Cosplay FB page
Demon Doll is offline   Reply With Quote