Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
mindue

Re-making Breastplate out of craft foam

Last year I made a Karin Aoi Breastplate out of paperclay, and it was fine..only down side is I have back problems and so the armor was hard on my back, and for someone with no job it became a bit pricey. Long story short my dad threw away my breast plate by accident and now I have to remake it. I have already bought foam, so that's the only material I want to make it out of. Can some one either help me develop a pattern, or tell me how I could get it to look curvy? I don't have much money so foam board is my only option.

Reference Pictures:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1366&bih=66 2

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1366&bih= 662

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...in+aoi#/d1i810

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&se...n+aoi#/d24h5ay

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1366&bih=6 62
mindue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
freyja3120

I used craft foam to make my breastplate, and it came out quite nicely. The piece was basically an armored bra, very shaped to the curves, so it was a bit harder than usual to make (a masculine style breastplate with the more subtle curves is considerably easier). It was surprisingly difficult to find this sort of design advice online, so here's what I found.

If you use foam, keep in mind that you will need to make what is basically a dart in order to get the fully rounded shape. You can use heat to get much of the curve, but the dart is needed to get it completely round. I put my dart in the underside of the curve, where it was less noticeable, then filled the seam with hot glue to smooth it a bit. I did luck out, however, in that my breasplate design had details which went over the seam a bit, so it may be harder on the perfectly smooth look she has there. but in case you want to go that route here is the main armor tutorial: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper...helmsdeep.html

Good Luck
freyja3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
mindue

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyja3120 View Post
I used craft foam to make my breastplate, and it came out quite nicely. The piece was basically an armored bra, very shaped to the curves, so it was a bit harder than usual to make (a masculine style breastplate with the more subtle curves is considerably easier). It was surprisingly difficult to find this sort of design advice online, so here's what I found.

If you use foam, keep in mind that you will need to make what is basically a dart in order to get the fully rounded shape. You can use heat to get much of the curve, but the dart is needed to get it completely round. I put my dart in the underside of the curve, where it was less noticeable, then filled the seam with hot glue to smooth it a bit. I did luck out, however, in that my breasplate design had details which went over the seam a bit, so it may be harder on the perfectly smooth look she has there. but in case you want to go that route here is the main armor tutorial: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper...helmsdeep.html

Good Luck
Yeah I think I put it in this one spot and cover it up like it appears in the picture. How would I add a dart though?
Unread 02-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
freyja3120

Well, in this instance you would use a bit of trial and error. I made a pattern out of a piece of craft foam so that I could allow for the curving that heat could add. I'm lucky enough to have a dress form that I was able to use. If you don't want to use foam (although I recommend it, since it is so inexpensive and you won't use much) you can use posterboard to create armor patterns.

As for the dart specifically, the short of it is that you would cut a triangle out of the foam, and when the edges are glued, the curve is created. The long of it (at least how I did it) is that you take your foam piece (I cut it to general shape, but if I were you I'd keep it as big as possible, since your armor covers more than mine) and place it over the needed shape to get a general idea of placement. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain how you would do this without a form, or another person that can help. All I can suggest is using something of a similar shape/size as a base, or perhaps a very well padded bra that will keep shape. After deciding how the foam will lay, heat it up (I used an iron, but if you're careful most anything will work) and place it (the foam won't be harmful hot, so it can be touched/placed near covered skin if need be). At this point, the foam will be overlapping in order to get the curved shape. Where the dart comes in is basically removing the overlap so that the finished product lays (relatively) flat. I used pins/tape for my mockups, and was careful not to get greedy and cut too much at once. Remove the excess until you're happy with the shape.

I have a pattern of of mine that I can try to scan in, if you're interested, at least to give you a general idea. Let me know if you want me to put it up, and I will find it and scan it in the next day or two.
Unread 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
mindue

Quote:
Well, in this instance you would use a bit of trial and error. I made a pattern out of a piece of craft foam so that I could allow for the curving that heat could add. I'm lucky enough to have a dress form that I was able to use. If you don't want to use foam (although I recommend it, since it is so inexpensive and you won't use much) you can use posterboard to create armor patterns.

As for the dart specifically, the short of it is that you would cut a triangle out of the foam, and when the edges are glued, the curve is created. The long of it (at least how I did it) is that you take your foam piece (I cut it to general shape, but if I were you I'd keep it as big as possible, since your armor covers more than mine) and place it over the needed shape to get a general idea of placement. To be honest, I'm not entirely certain how you would do this without a form, or another person that can help. All I can suggest is using something of a similar shape/size as a base, or perhaps a very well padded bra that will keep shape. After deciding how the foam will lay, heat it up (I used an iron, but if you're careful most anything will work) and place it (the foam won't be harmful hot, so it can be touched/placed near covered skin if need be). At this point, the foam will be overlapping in order to get the curved shape. Where the dart comes in is basically removing the overlap so that the finished product lays (relatively) flat. I used pins/tape for my mockups, and was careful not to get greedy and cut too much at once. Remove the excess until you're happy with the shape.

I have a pattern of of mine that I can try to scan in, if you're interested, at least to give you a general idea. Let me know if you want me to put it up, and I will find it and scan it in the next day or two.
A pattern would be awesome, just so I'd have a place to start or a better idea! Thank you !
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
ChilmarkGryphon
wings! armor! madness!

If you scroll down to the bottom of this entry on BioWeapon's blog, you can see how he molded EVA foam into boob-shapes. Craft foam is just a thinner version of the EVA he's using, and I imagine you could use stiff cardboard instead of plexiglass for the pressing frame since you're notworking with the heavy-weight stuff.

Selling Arda lace-front and Le Tigre wigs! Check my Marketplace lisitings.

Current Project: Abel Nightroad | Upcoming Cons: Otakon 2015 | Find me on Twitter, DeviantART, or Facebook
ChilmarkGryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #7
freyja3120

That's an amazing link, wow! I wish I'd found that myself earlier!

In case you still need it/want it, here is my pattern. Again, mine is for what is essentially an armored bra, so you'd have to add some since mine is intended to basically make cups, almost demi-cups at that. They should still give you an idea of how to do it. Just make sure you flip it when doing the other side.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54154661@N05/5491341226/
Unread 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
mindue

So I decided to put it on top of a bra and do the darts shown in the picture. So far I'm done with on bra cup and the left straps, I'd say 20%! I haven't finished the underpart or the other half, haven't sealed anything, painted, or glossed, so still a long way to go!
Unread 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
freyja3120

That's great! Also, I just noticed that you'd messaged me, sorry, but it looks like I responded anyhow! :-)
Unread 03-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
glitter bomb
quite zazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilmarkGryphon View Post
If you scroll down to the bottom of this entry on BioWeapon's blog, you can see how he molded EVA foam into boob-shapes.
that site is amazing! thanks for the link. the work is so impressive.
If pie is delicious, I will compliment the person serving it to me.
If they made the pie, I will absolutely compliment them on having made it, too.
-- kiratsukai
glitter bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #11
Amanita

Yes, thanks! The folks at Tandy will probably murder me, but I may end up using foam to build my armour. It's definately giving me some ideas on how to make my skyscraper headdresses!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #12
mindue

Quote:
That's great! Also, I just noticed that you'd messaged me, sorry, but it looks like I responded anyhow! :-)
yeah don't worry about it