Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 02-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
GeekySpirit
Guy with the Girly Voice!

How can I improve?

Originally Posted by GeekySpirit
I am an upcomming photographer and I'm trying new ways to take photos and editing them. This is my favorite so far,
http://geekyspirit.deviantart.com/#/d3amase

And this is the one that I am in love with,
http://fav.me/d2qk9g2

but Is there something that can be fixed with these?
http://fav.me/d2xle6m
http://fav.me/d395kxk

Last edited by GeekySpirit : 04-11-2011 at 03:44 PM.
GeekySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Tenchi Fan
The PENTAX guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekySpirit View Post
I am an upcomming photographer and I'm trying new ways to take photos and editing them. This is my favorite so far,
http://geekyspirit.deviantart.com/#/d3amase

And this is the one that I am in love with,
http://fav.me/d2qk9g2

but Is there something that can be fixed with these?
http://fav.me/d2xle6m
http://fav.me/d395kxk
Links fixed.
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Pacifisticated
Seller of Manga & Cosplay

Wonderful photos! Just keep experimenting with different angles and such : )
Unread 03-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
AustrianBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifisticated View Post
Wonderful photos! Just keep experimenting with different angles and such : )
Agreed! C:
AustrianBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
artifexium_7

Those are awesome photos, Geeky!
And as for advice, I agree with Pacifisticated. Usually, you can figure out how to make better photos through experimentation, practice and playing around with the camera. At least, that's what works for me. And also, if you know all about the character the cosplayer is portraying, then you can use that as inspiration for camera angles and poses and such. Hope that helps! LOL!!!

I'm into photography as well, so I'm trying to improve with my photo-taking skills, too.
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Akahime
Red Princess

Those photos are quite wonderful. =) Love the first one and the one with the reflection. Absoultely, that is genius. =D

I got some experimental suggestions if you want to try them: try to take photos of the cosplayer further away to gather more things in the background.

Sometimes by capturing the cosplayers' surroundings can set a really good mood for the picture. =) Such as getting more of the sky or the cars around the model or even buildings. Whatever is there. =) Try it and see. :3 Obviously, if you take too much of the model's surrounding, it'll only be distracting so test it out to know how much to capture and what not to capture --and when to use this method because somethings your model might blend into the background.
Quina (FFIX), Kat (Gravity Rush), Nausicaš (Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind)?, Cheria (Tales of Graces)?, Tia of Avalon Code, Lan Fan of Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Kyoko of Skip Beat!, Monster Hunter?

Next cons: Anime Expo and Midoricon.
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!

Last edited by Akahime : 03-09-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Your picture of Celty has a nice, low-angle and cool location. The dark background blends so much into the black costume. Additional lighting could solve it.

The upside-down, silhouette/reflection photo is well-done. I like how the image at the bottom shows facial details.

The Vocaloid portrait has nice, bright colors, interesting pose, and location. I like how it looks candid.

With the hooded character with the M, the pose seems lacking life. The background is very dark. The lighting on the character is good, but other than that, I am not fond of this one.

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-31-2011 at 06:05 AM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
levelsixtyseven

Your photos are really good! I enjoy them a lot.

Lighting and angles is what you should work with. I did notice that none of them except the first two have their eyes directly towards the camera lens. Eye contact can really make a picture pop! Although balancing out an interesting angle eye contact isn't always necessary.
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelsixtyseven View Post
I did notice that none of them except the first two have their eyes directly towards the camera lens. Eye contact can really make a picture pop! Although balancing out an interesting angle eye contact isn't always necessary.

I looked at your photos again and found that even the first two images are not looking at the camera. Although I agree that eye contact can make for interesting photos, depending on the face expression, I don't think there was any need to have any of your models to look at the camera. Your candid-looking images are fine as they are in that department. When I do cosplay photography, I generally prefer to have my models looking off camera. It tends to create a more natural in-the-moment, or in-a-movie effect. Looking at the camera can often have a posed look to it.
Unread 04-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
levelsixtyseven

I agree with what you state above. I too also do the infamous "off distance" look. But sometimes looking not directly towards the lens like the Vocaloid photo above it seems posed to me.. or not natural enough. The pose seems stiff and too tense. I find that if you were to look away from the camera it has to have an interesting pose and also an interesting angle.

Looking at the camera has it's benefits! I'm a sucker for simple portraits showing off the cosplayer's eyes and smiles. You can have looking to the camera looks without it looking completely posed.

The more natural and less tense your model is the better your photos will turn out!
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Yes, levelsixtyseven. If the cosplayer looks at the camera in-character, it can be a very effective photo.

Looking unposed or posed has more to do with the pose and the attitude expressed in the face and body-language, whether it looks candid or not.

I just find that most people who take cosplay photos, and most cosplayers who pose, tend to do looking-at-the-camera shots without exploring some of the infinite other places the eyes can go. This seems to be a habit based on conventional snap-shots, of which looking at the camera is the norm. I would like to encourage other possibilities.
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
GeekySpirit
Guy with the Girly Voice!

Thank you all so much for your feedback, I have been trying diffrent things such as poses and lighting as you told me and I have seen DRAMATIC changes. I'll post a few later to show you, but I am so excited and happy that I got feedback so wonderful.

I would really like to thank levelsixtyseven and brucer007 for their advice and feedback.

Photography is my life and I would like to improve it in anyway I can.