Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > General Construction Help

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #1
papaslides

Exclamation Nightcrawler Costume

Hi there I'm in need of some help... I'm making a Nightcrawler (the x-men Evolution version) costume and need some advice.

Bodysuit: I have a 100% Nylon stretch unitard which I need to put the big red "V" on, I have 2 options in mind, dye/paint, or fabric but I'm not sure how to do either and make it look good (not cheasy/tacky)

Boots: Right now I have some rubber hardware boots with foam/duct tape toes added on sitting in front of me that I can paint red, but it looks kinda... well not great any other suggestions. (Someone mentioned modified chicken feet over the boots, but i can't find any that'd work).

Tail: who knows man, I mean i don't want a limp PoS, but I'm wearing a unitard i can't have a complicated attaching system (basically it's gotta attach to the ancor blue Seatbelt belt that i'm going to modify into an x-men belt).

Gloves: I've got some theatrical costume gloves that stretch, so i'm gonna cut out the 2 middle fingers and then sew up the holes and just put 2 fingers in each glove finger.

I would REALLY appreciate any help, I'm trying to make this costume great, and i'm finding myself stuck with less than a week to complete it!!!

~Sean
papaslides is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-25-2003, 03:36 PM   #2
KusanIvy

Hey cool! Another Nightcrawler! (Although I'm doing the movie version) But Evo Kurt is cool as well!

Ok, here are my suggestions (pulls up the many pictures of Nightcrawler I have on my computer):

Bodysuit: I would do the V out of fabric. The red V isn't flush to the costume at the shoulders - it actually sticks up a bit - so fabric would be more accurate than paint. If you use a fairly heavy or stiff material you should be able to get the nice peaks at the shoulders. I would cut each side of the V, hem the pieces (if the fabric tends to unravel) and then sew it to the bodysuit just on the inside edge (almost as if you were making a lapel for a jacket).

Boots: For my feet I made blue two-toed 'socks' and from these pics Evo Kurt's boots look more like socks as well (since they're skintight and actually bunch up in places). I lined my "socks" with shoe inserts just so that there is a little something extra between my feet and the ground. However to be honest I'm not entirely happy with my feet either. Perhaps if you made something similar to two-toed slippers? sorry - I know that's not a big help.

Tail: I didn't want a limp tail either - however because I'm doing the X2 version I can use Kurt's coat and pants to hide the base so I can have a complcated attaching system. However I have seen people get fairly good results with a single piece of wire inside a sewn and stuffed tail. It won't move as naturally but apparently you can mold it into whatever shape you want so at least it's not limp either.

Gloves: You're method will probably work - just make sure you can fit two fingers in each hole first. If you can't, making the gloves is fairly easy - just trace you're hands in the "Live Long And Prosper" position leaving lots of space around the edges. Cut two pieces , sew, flip inside out and voila! Fairly effective gloves. I just finished mine this morning.

Hope this helps at least a little - I'm in fact just taking a break of my own - I sewed all last night and today.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
Unread 10-25-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
papaslides

Quote:
Originally Posted by KusanIvy
Hey cool! Another Nightcrawler! (Although I'm doing the movie version) But Evo Kurt is cool as well!

Ok, here are my suggestions (pulls up the many pictures of Nightcrawler I have on my computer):

Bodysuit: I would do the V out of fabric. The red V isn't flush to the costume at the shoulders - it actually sticks up a bit - so fabric would be more accurate than paint. If you use a fairly heavy or stiff material you should be able to get the nice peaks at the shoulders. I would cut each side of the V, hem the pieces (if the fabric tends to unravel) and then sew it to the bodysuit just on the inside edge (almost as if you were making a lapel for a jacket).

Boots: For my feet I made blue two-toed 'socks' and from these pics Evo Kurt's boots look more like socks as well (since they're skintight and actually bunch up in places). I lined my "socks" with shoe inserts just so that there is a little something extra between my feet and the ground. However to be honest I'm not entirely happy with my feet either. Perhaps if you made something similar to two-toed slippers? sorry - I know that's not a big help.

Tail: I didn't want a limp tail either - however because I'm doing the X2 version I can use Kurt's coat and pants to hide the base so I can have a complcated attaching system. However I have seen people get fairly good results with a single piece of wire inside a sewn and stuffed tail. It won't move as naturally but apparently you can mold it into whatever shape you want so at least it's not limp either.

Gloves: You're method will probably work - just make sure you can fit two fingers in each hole first. If you can't, making the gloves is fairly easy - just trace you're hands in the "Live Long And Prosper" position leaving lots of space around the edges. Cut two pieces , sew, flip inside out and voila! Fairly effective gloves. I just finished mine this morning.

Hope this helps at least a little - I'm in fact just taking a break of my own - I sewed all last night and today.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
Cool, well let's see here with the bodysuit my problem is that it's SUPER stretchy so when i put it on it has to stretch to almost double it's size. Also my mom made some kick as shoulder pads that look prety darn good (it'll give my suit a 2 piece look but i can live with that i think)

The tail, yeah I think i'm gonna rig a system where the wire is attached to my belt and goes down to my tail bone and then TAT"S where the actual tail starts... still working on this part (hehe i'm goin to a costume party TONIGHT, all i'm gonna have is my gloves!~!!)

For the shoes I've pretyy much given up on all my idea's and i'm just gonna get some Ninja Tabi Boots and paint em Red! Enough of this foam and rubber boot bull.

Hair: I've decided since i'm splicing kurts here (since i couldn't rig a Digitigrade boot system, i'm doin comic book kurt feet) that I'll do the new age kurts hair (spikey, since that's how I wear my own hair normally) how are you doing it>? Also i haven't decided whether to spray it, or to get some blue spiking jell (either way it's gonna be hard finding something dark enough)

Are you gonna do special ears? I think since the ears have to be painted (no blue ones, and besides it'd look better if you paint it with ur face paint anyways) that Finding some non-giant full ears would be beset... not just the extensions (plus then u don't have to try and paint ur ears) I also have to find some good blue lipstick. I wanted so badly to do yellow contacts, but I need perscription and i mean i've already spent about 50-70 bucks on stuff that I bailed on cus they don't work (and them being shoes can't really be returned) so i think i may have to wait... i dunno i'll see how much i make at work this weekend.

Thank you again, hey for your face painting are you goin with the tube kind or the dish kind? (i'm thinkin tube just cus there's so much to be painted but then agian i've NEVER painted myself before)
Unread 10-25-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
KusanIvy

Quote:
I wanted so badly to do yellow contacts, but I need perscription
So do I. It was hard enough justifying getting normal contacts (since I only wear them for cosplaying) so no yellow eyes for me. Just like no cat-eye lenses for my Kusanagi outfit.

Quote:
I'll do the new age kurts hair (spikey, since that's how I wear my own hair normally) how are you doing it>?
Actually that's part of the reason I chose to do the X2 Kurt. My hair is short and naturally very curly so it's perfect. To do Evo hair I'd have to get a wig and I have enough to do with the costume already.

I already have a pair of pointed ears so I was just going to use them. They are just the tips, which means I have to paint my ears blue but that's ok.

As far as make-up goes I prefer the tube make-up to the dish makeup. In fact I already had a tube of blue from when I did my Zelgadis costume (I seem to have this thing for blue characters). I was hoping to get some black in the same brand so that I could darken the blue a little (X2 Kurt has midnight blue skin) but I can't so I have to use black and blue dish make-up instead. I would greatly prefer to use the tube type though since I could mix it to the right shade on a palette before I apply it to my face. With the dish type I have to apply the black and then the blue overtop.

I found a neat way to do Kurt's tattoos. At hobby shops you can buy little plastic syringes with narrow plastic noozles which are normally used to squirt glue into narrow holes in models etc. So I simply got one of those, filled it with liquid latex (which you can buy at costume shops - it's normally used to make scars and so forth) and ta-da I now have an easy way to do all the intricate markings on Kurt's face. Once the liquid latex is dry I apply the dark blue make-up overtop.
Unread 10-25-2003, 11:53 PM   #5
papaslides

For the face I ended up finding some pretty darn dark face paint, but i gotta go put what i've got together and head off to an early halloween party so I'll add more later.
Unread 10-28-2003, 02:31 AM   #6
papaslides

~Flash of inspiration~ for the V, it's so simple it hurts. I'm taking a red T-Shirt and cutting it into the V I need... BAM perfect fit no worries about buying fabric or anything funky like that. I'm then going to sew it to the ... err... uhhmm... bottom in the front so that it stays there. Then by putting velcro on both ends It'll loop over my shoulders and down my back (the velcro so that i can still get at the zipper on the back) and attach again at the bottom. I just haven't decided how to attach the tail to all this (except that it will involve the belt i got)
~another flash of inspiration~ rather than buying expensive ninja tabi boots for my costume I'm taking some cheap tube socks and cutting a line down the center, turning em inside out and sewing em up into 2 toes. Then I'm going to dye it and stuff the ends of the toes (which i'm making 2-3 inches longer then necessary) with foam. Then I'm going to take some cardboard and cut out the outline of my socks (while i'm wearing em) and wrap it with Red duct tape for a sole. Then i'm gonna use velcro to attach the pieces so that if the socks (or my crappy sewing) falls appart i can just stick a new one on there.
~~any suggestions/in need of any help. Talk to ya soon

p.s. Do you Aim, Yahoo, MSN, or ICQ????