Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > InuYasha

Unread 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
padmeskywalker5
padmeskywalker54

Dyeing Sesshomaru's Kimono

I don't know that I'm going to make the entire costume, but no matter what I want Sesshomaru's kimono. I've searched the forums and found a little helpful advice, but I wanted to ask a few precise questions.

First of all, I'm not sure how long to make the kimono, knee-length or possibly longer? I intend to decorate the hem the same as the sleeves.

Which brings me to my next question. The hexagons I'm likely to embroider onto the garment using red and white silk floss and a satin stitch. But the large red patches on the sleeves and shoulder have me a little stumped as I've never messed with dyes before and I intend to do this on silk so I don't want to goof up.

I was thinking of either silk screening or batik. Does anyone know if silk screening is likely to bleed if the garment is washed, and does the ink leave a residue? The tutorial I read for batik suggested boiling the wax off, but I don't want to end up with a pink kimono. Will the dye bleed in removing the wax? I was also thinking that the hexagons could be added using either of these techniques, but either one seems like it would need a little too much precision for my current tastes.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance! ;-)
padmeskywalker5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Embroidering the hexagons is a good idea. Something I've seen work well for the patchy effect is to spray the dye on where you want it with a spray-bottle, or to dip-dye it and let it bleed up to get a gradient effect. I definitely suggest doing some test scraps.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote