Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Doctor Who

Unread 03-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
ten_again
ten

Magnoli tie on ebay

I just wanted to show you guys that there appears to be a Magnoli tie on ebay.

Compare the ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Doctor-Tenth-Doctor-Tie-Costume-Prop-Tennant-Dr-/140519549941?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyColle ctables_EH&hash=item20b79e2bf5

to this

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/swir...ies-p-328.html

The price has gone well above what Magnoli is charging. I always like to believe the best about people and the seller may actually be unaware of what he is selling.

It does seem a bit un likely to me, however.
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
GraelynRose
I am the Bad Wolf

It's now at $165 not including shipping. $165 for a tie... Dear Lord.
Katsucon
AwesomeCon
Clovercon
Wizard World Philly
Otakon
L.I. Who
"You're the one that I love, and I'm saying goodbye. Say something. I'm giving up on you."
GraelynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Fennius

Well he started it at £50 which is more reasonable(!). Evidently people REALLY want it.
Fennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #4
ten_again
ten

I contacted the guy about the tie probably being a Magnoli tie and pointed him to mags website. This was the reply I received from the ebay guy:

Hi there, thank you so much for the message. I really wasn't aware of this website until now. I have to agree tie does indeed look very very similar mine. Although the colours on mine seem a little more vibrant, I think that could be the result of the flash from the camera. Anyway I really do appreciate you enlightening me about this.
Best regards.

- time.slides

He does seem genuinly unaware, and as Fennius pointed out, he started it at 50, which is a lot less than it is going for now. But still more than Magnoli charges.
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_again View Post
I contacted the guy about the tie probably being a Magnoli tie and pointed him to mags website. This was the reply I received from the ebay guy:

Hi there, thank you so much for the message. I really wasn't aware of this website until now. I have to agree tie does indeed look very very similar mine. Although the colours on mine seem a little more vibrant, I think that could be the result of the flash from the camera. Anyway I really do appreciate you enlightening me about this.
Best regards.

- time.slides

He does seem genuinly unaware, and as Fennius pointed out, he started it at 50, which is a lot less than it is going for now. But still more than Magnoli charges.

Exactly why did you contact him telling him its likely a Magnoli tie? Even if it was, its not the sellers fault for the bidders going nuts on his auction instead of going to Magnoli and ordering one there. I've seen people on ebay spend INSANE amounts of money when they could easily buy said object in a store (online or not). That seller is super lucky, but contacting him like that is almost accusing him of trying to screw others over, when from it looks like, the buyers are just ignorant.

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
ten_again
ten

First of all because I was genuinly curious about if he did or did not know.

Also if he didn't know, he might actually want to know what it was he was probably selling. I know that I would.

He does however make it sound as though this is a rare and unique opportunity, which again sounds like he is driving up the price. And also his starting price was higher than that which Magnoli asks for them.
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Lucifer

Quote:
First of all because I was genuinly curious about if he did or did not know.

Also if he didn't know, he might actually want to know what it was he was probably selling. I know that I would.

He does however make it sound as though this is a rare and unique opportunity, which again sounds like he is driving up the price. And also his starting price was higher than that which Magnoli asks for them.
Bidders drive up prices, sellers just promote what they are selling. He started the price higher than what Magnoli charges, then its the ignorance of the bidders to not go there, and bid on his tie instead. Keep in mind, even if he KNEW it was a Magnoli tie, he can't link to their site (ebay doesn't allow it).

Unread 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
ten_again
ten

I personally believe it is wrong to sell something for a higher price than you know people can get it for. Making money out of other people's ignorance just doesn't seem right to me either.

I also believe that if he knew it was a Magnoli tie, he should have noted that it was a Magnoli tie. Now he just noted that he didn't know what it was, so I figured he might want to know.
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Lucifer

Quote:
I personally believe it is wrong to sell something for a higher price than you know people can get it for. Making money out of other people's ignorance just doesn't seem right to me either.

I also believe that if he knew it was a Magnoli tie, he should have noted that it was a Magnoli tie. Now he just noted that he didn't know what it was, so I figured he might want to know.
Its called supply and demand. You may think its wrong, but that is honestly how ebay runs. Sellers make money on providing things most don't know exist, have a hard time finding, etc.

Also, and this is from experience, Ebay doesn't like it when you mention other stores in an auction. IF he knew it was a Magnoli tie, mentioning it was can get the auction pulled (I've seen it happen in the past).

[edit] You fail to acknowledge that in the auction he openly states the tie was a gift from an ex-girlfriend. So really...its very reasonable to believe he had no idea where the tie came from, and just wants to get rid of it. Let the guy unload his baggage without being picked apart.

Last edited by Lucifer : 03-09-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: new info
Unread 03-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
GraelynRose
I am the Bad Wolf

I don't even think he knew that the tie was being sold elsewhere for less money when he first posted the listing. In his summary, he said he received the tie from his ex-girlfriend as a gift. He probably didn't know where it came from or how much it was to begin with. He did mention that the tie was a copy. It's really not his fault that the bidders are ignorant of Magnoli. It seems as if he genuinely didn't know about it either.
Katsucon
AwesomeCon
Clovercon
Wizard World Philly
Otakon
L.I. Who
"You're the one that I love, and I'm saying goodbye. Say something. I'm giving up on you."
GraelynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
ten_again
ten

Well, if all he is saying is true, then I'm happy for him that he's making so much money out of it.

However, caveat emptor and all that.