Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 365 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:53 AM   #1501
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyogg View Post
I was listening to a right wing, conservative radio show the other day and I had the realization that they really believe that there is an organized "homosexual agenda" to infiltrate society and turn kids gay. It made my skin crawl.
Well, how else are we supposed to raise up an army? Gotta aim for the kids.

In the meantime, we're developing rainbow cannon warfare technology.
Nathus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #1502
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenTifa View Post
You want to know what impact some media has... go look at the kids at my old elementary school and middle school. They're dressing like they're in their late teens rather than their real ages of 6 to 12. Hell some clothing line came out with Bikinis for BABIES recently.

It's simple to me. Don't sell explicit content games to minors. Sure sell them to the parent like mentioned before and if they give it to their kid that's on them. The stores themselves shouldn't be blatantly encouraging exposing young children to some of those games cause a few of them are pretty damn graphic. Little kids can be easily impressed upon and having that shoved in their faces could do god know's what to them. Admittedly, I played some graphic games as a kid. Some I could handle, and others were just too far gone for me to even attempt to play them for more than 5 minutes. It all depends on the kid.
I'm sure you are well aware... but real science isn't based off "well so and so played video games and they turned out to be a crackpot so there!". You need actual sound studies proving your hypothesis... and then others do their own studies and so on and so forth. Hopefully some sort of consensus results from debate.

@Nathus - That would work brilliantly along-side Canada's latest in warfare technology.... the maple syrup applicator.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:34 AM   #1503
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspitfire View Post
what i'd like to know is what exactly he means by "mass bloodshed". is he suggesting that pro-life people park outside a planned parenthood office and slaughter every woman who goes in for any reason, just because they're obviously getting an abortion? or is he talking about the assassination of any pro-choice politician?
The impression I got was that he was insinuating the failure to overturn Roe v. Wade would lead to another civil war. At this point I'm fairly certain that's what the far-right is aiming for anyway, and they're just looking for the right excuse to start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathus Dorkus View Post
In the meantime, we're developing rainbow cannon warfare technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
@Nathus - That would work brilliantly along-side Canada's latest in warfare technology.... the maple syrup applicator.
I would join the Gay-Canadian military.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #1504
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

When I was at a Pro-Choice demonstration here in Dallas, I was doing some spying on a pro-life group's website that was planning a counter protest. They warned their members that pro-choice people are often violent and would attack their members at events.. It's pretty hilarious because since the mid 90's just one group of Pro-Lifers (Operation Rescue) have murdered 7 abortion workers. And the vice versa? Reaching at best. The only even confrontation in our demonstration came when some lady driving by started screaming "abortion is murder", pulled into a fire lane, and then threw a King James bible at me.

Oh, and one of the counter signs said "Justin Bieber is Pro-Life". Yes, this dude in his 60's thought that all of us youngins between 22 and 35 years old were just balls shit crazy over the Biebs.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #1505
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post

Hmm, I wonder if Canada Girl is at all involved in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I would join the Gay-Canadian military.
Unread 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #1506
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

On that note, it's pride week in Toronto.

It used to have such an upbeat tone... but those running it have spoiled the fun. They keep inviting an anti-Israeli group to attend the parade with them, which just turns people off. A lot of those who usually attend say they won't be this year because of it.... and some are turned off by all the naked people. Why do people feel the need to get naked and throw around all that junk?!?! I don't know... but it's Canada and so we don't tend to say much about it and just don't attend again. =P

But the whole week has Toronto excited about Canada day, and rainbows... and Vampire Lesbians of Sodom (some musical thing that is playing... that has a funny name.. so i put it here).

Either way its one of the largest pride festivals in the world.

Unread 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #1507
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

I'm.. Not a fan of 'prides.'

I have no issue with people being fond of them or the like, but personally I just don't see the point in shoving sexuality into people's faces. I'm not proud of being gay, I'm proud of living my life in a manner where my sexuality is just another small element of the awesomeness that is me.

I find that most people who go crazy for pride are the same people that act as though their sexuality is the be all and end all of their entire life, and I just cannot understand that notion.
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #1508
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:

I have no issue with people being fond of them or the like, but personally I just don't see the point in shoving sexuality into people's faces. I'm not proud of being gay, I'm proud of living my life in a manner where my sexuality is just another small element of the awesomeness that is me.

I find that most people who go crazy for pride are the same people that act as though their sexuality is the be all and end all of their entire life, and I just cannot understand that notion.
I totally agree with everything you just said.

If there was an 'hetero pride' movement, I would be totally absent from that too.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #1509
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I totally agree with everything you just said.

If there was an 'hetero pride' movement, I would be totally absent from that too.
I vote that we have an, 'I Am Awesome For Being An Individual!' Pride Parade.

Only there's no parade, and we celebrate it every day by being awesome.
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:02 PM   #1510
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:

Yeah I totally get that. I've never attended one (I don't attend parades and all that stuff in general)... i mean the idea of 'pride week' i'm cool with (since we have all sorts of festivals for people of various backgrounds, i wouldn't poo poo on someone having pride week since there is a big one here for just about every ethnic background).

I think it is a bit over the top (big parade etc. etc.) and the whole "lets get naked" thing is not helping matters. If it was more low key (this year might be), it could be a good way to keep the community reaching out and the like. It could be fun, with bands and a festival like atmosphere... food, stalls and whatnot.

I mean Toronto has a whole section filled with that sort of stuff anyways.... which is where this whole pride thing is hosted.

Unread 06-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #1511
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

I think that slightly more low-key events can be awesome - like workshops, people giving out information and support resources, entertainment, etc. but it doesn't have to be so.. Single-minded.

It's like the Stonewall UK slogan, "Some people are gay. Get over it!"

It gets on my tits, it really does. I wish that slogan would die in a fire, ASAP.

The quest for equality will not proceed any quicker with hostility from both sides.
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #1512
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

Gay Pride movements are important in Texas and other areas of the South where it many of the GLBT community are met with violence on a daily basis. The pride movement here is one of solidarity that harks to the days of "We're here, we're queer." Without the local pride organizations, support groups, and events, a lot of people would feel lost.

On Stonewall Day a couple years ago, cops raided a local gay bar saying that they were going to arrest people that were drunk. They ended up putting a sober gay man in the hospital. The media, DA, and other police precincts did nothing until the local pride orgs got involved.

I'm really stoked for all of the areas of the world that are fully accepting of all GLBTs and have outgrown the need for Pride movements and orgs, but just remember that there are places like here where we're decades behind in progress and still need the solidarity and support of the community.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #1513
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Whilst I understand your point, Leeleeleelee, you've made some odd assumptions. I really do get what you're saying, however my issue is with the execution of pride parades, not what they stand for.

I, personally, don't know of a single place on the planet that is fully accepting of GLBT people. I myself have experienced horrible homophobia for a large portion of my life. I am a great believer in equality and protection of GLBT people, but I still do not personally find the execution of pride parades to be appealing.

I do not outright hate them or think that they shouldn't exist, but I think that certain individuals and organisations involved sometimes need to reign themselves in a bit and realise that they could be thrusting forth behaviour that can potentially damage progress. It can encourage negative stereotypes of gay people that are detrimental to the fight for acceptance.

Pride parades are not the only method of promoting GLBT issues, and as such they are certainly not responsible for all of the work that has gone into addressing said issues.
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #1514
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I don't like labels. Why do I have be gay/straight/bi/lesbian? Can't I just be "in love"? Or "happy"? or "in a safe, equal, consenting relationship with another human being of my choosing"?
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #1515
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I don't like labels. Why do I have be gay/straight/bi/lesbian? Can't I just be "in love"? Or "happy"? or "in a safe, equal, consenting relationship with another human being of my choosing"?
See now, that's proper equality.