Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 377 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #1561
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas
 
Formalhaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 530
Im from a VERY hick redneck town and I remember people going on about lynching obama. i kinda just LOLd cuz if I was the secret service and saw these folks marching with their pitchforks, I dont think Id even take them seriously and really, how lax do they think his security is? oooh I love you montgomery texas <_> in other news about him, APPARENTLY we are pulling out of afghanistan. I kinda have mixed feelings about that. on one hand, this has gone on long enough and I want my brothers and sisters (and husband) to come home and stay home. on the other hand, I know first hand what terrorists can do, and afghanistan is a HIVE of them. not to mention, my friend had women come up to her and thank her telling her, "until the americans came we were always afraid of our husbands" (at least the abusive ones) our presence has made it SO much better for women and girls out there. but...is it our business/job to do that? are our lives worth their freedom?
__________________
PLANNED COSPLAYS
Elesa
Candide
Yuna
Velvet

custom viera ears here!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #1562
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern
 
leeleeleelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 763
I would hope that we would want to help anyone in need with the hopes of making the world a better place (Note: HEAVY emphasis on the word "hope"). I'm generally way against the homeoapathy mindset where it isn't our job/business to do anything for anyone. Semi-related to the topic is my favorite poem:

Quote:
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
People in stern black suits gonna be knocking on my door tonight.

I AM A PEACEFUL PERSON I AM INTIMIDATED BY MY OWN FERRET PLEASE DON'T ARREST ME.

"That's fine police work busting that internet commenter, Officer Martinez. Here's a ferret."
__________________
The Bear Jew (Inglorious Basterds) ~ completed
Azazel (X-Men First Class) ~ completed
Deadpool (X-Force)
Tron (Tron Legacy)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.

Last edited by leeleeleelee : 07-07-2011 at 02:29 PM.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #1563
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,990
Yeah, it's tricky. The general opinion is basically "It's been FOREVER and there's little accomplished, but if we leave it'll probably get even worse". I dunno what to really think, myself. But in the first place, some places should just be left to descend into a poverty-stricken god-forsaken waste like they already were from the start instead of the military being made to police it so it can look like there's been some progress (when was the last time Afghanistan WASN'T poor and war-torn? The late 60's?...). Honestly, what has the military really managed to accomplish there, compared to non-military aid groups like MSF and the Red Cross? The Taliban's still there and still determined to oppress everybody.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #1564
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas
 
Formalhaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleeleelee View Post
I would hope that we would want to help anyone in need with the hopes of making the world a better place (Note: HEAVY emphasis on the word "hope"). I'm generally way against the homeoapathy mindset where it isn't our job/business to do anything for anyone. Semi-related to the topic is my favorite poem:

Im all for helping people. but Im getting a little sick of funerals. Ive said enough goobyes. thats my point. is our help worth all the casualties and injuries?
__________________
PLANNED COSPLAYS
Elesa
Candide
Yuna
Velvet

custom viera ears here!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #1565
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.
 
hollowchrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 676
I think the whole point of helping other countries is more centered around keeping the global economy stable than anything else since we're so reliant on each other anymore. It's kind of why we keep staying on loop with our recession. Everytime we start to look up something big happens somewhere else. But meh.

I'm surprised I haven't seen one single post about the Casey Anthony fiasco down in Florida. Everywhere I go there's someone pissed off about all that.
__________________
costume plans?!

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning


eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #1566
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas
 
Formalhaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowchrist View Post
I think the whole point of helping other countries is more centered around keeping the global economy stable than anything else since we're so reliant on each other anymore. It's kind of why we keep staying on loop with our recession. Everytime we start to look up something big happens somewhere else. But meh.

I'm surprised I haven't seen one single post about the Casey Anthony fiasco down in Florida. Everywhere I go there's someone pissed off about all that.
ok, plleaaaaase dont flame me for this. but Im not surprised she was aquitted...because the whole case against her was based on circumstantial

They tried her on murder without enough evidence to convict her. The legal system worked and she was acquitted. Simple as that. Now she may have had something to do with that, but 1st degree murder is clearly stated that it is a pre meditated murder. I don't think she had a premeditated plan to kill her daughter. If she just accidentally killed her it would be negligent homicide, however, she was not even being charged with that so there is nothing she could have been convicted of. It was only a one hour deliberation which means there wasnt a doubt in that jury's mind that she was not guilty of those charges. The 31 days without reporting it to the police only proves that she is a shitty mother, but it does not have anything to do with her being responsible for the murder.

Also for those who are bitching about the prosecution doing a terrible job, the prosecutor probably makes about $65,000 a year and has about 100 trials a year. This defense attorney probably charged $250,000-$350,000 just for this one case. Who do you think is going to put more into this case? Which job do you think the better/smarter attorneys are going to want to take?

On top of all of that.. ALL the evidence of this case was circumstantial. WIth all of the cases now out that forensics is proving guys that have been serving 35 years of a life sentence are innocent, people are really nervous to convict someone without concreted evidence. They don't want to fuck up and sentence some human to death or life in prison and later find out they fucked up bad and the girl/guy was innocent the whole time.
__________________
PLANNED COSPLAYS
Elesa
Candide
Yuna
Velvet

custom viera ears here!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #1567
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleeleelee View Post
"That's fine police work busting that internet commenter, Officer Martinez. Here's a ferret."
I snorted SO LOUD.

Re: Casey Anthony. Do I think she's at least partially responsible for her daughter's death? Hell yes. Do I think parents that shitty should be punished for something? I wish we could do that. Do I think the jury did the best they could with what they had? Probably. That's one of the less-than-perfect elements of our justice system: if there's not enough evidence to make the juries certain-- and I could get into a whole thing here about the CSI effect but I won't-- then they're probably not going to risk convicting an innocent person.

ALSO I hate to be That Guy but there's a lot of bad shit that happens every day, and I think it kind of sucks that cases like this take up so much of our time and attention just because the victim is a cute white girl. It's terrible that she was killed, and it's terrible that whomever did it to her is now walking free and her shitty mom is going around with a big smile on her face and her asshole defense attorney was frigging smirking when the verdict was read, but there are a lot of cases like this, and worse than this, all over the world, all the time, but no one seems to be able to muster up as much indignation when the people involved aren't young and attractive.
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1568
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern
 
leeleeleelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 763
I, for one, didn't even know about this case until two weeks ago when I was getting my car worked on. Because my car is a SmartCar, I have to take it to the Mercedes dealership and sit with all the rich people who cream over Fox News. Every single one of them knew every detail about the case and knew every person's name and occupation when they took the stand. I guess it had something to do with the rich people having tons of free time to watch Nancy Grace, but part of me wondered if any of them would give a shit is little Caylee was African American, Latina, or even Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
They tried her on murder without enough evidence to convict her. The legal system worked and she was acquitted. Simple as that. Now she may have had something to do with that, but 1st degree murder is clearly stated that it is a pre meditated murder. I don't think she had a premeditated plan to kill her daughter. If she just accidentally killed her it would be negligent homicide, however, she was not even being charged with that so there is nothing she could have been convicted of.
Let's not forget that she was also acquitted of manslaughter and child abuse, not just murder.
__________________
The Bear Jew (Inglorious Basterds) ~ completed
Azazel (X-Men First Class) ~ completed
Deadpool (X-Force)
Tron (Tron Legacy)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.

Last edited by leeleeleelee : 07-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #1569
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.
 
hollowchrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleeleelee View Post
I, for one, didn't even know about this case until two weeks ago when I was getting my car worked on. Because my car is a SmartCar, I have to take it to the Mercedes dealership and sit with all the rich people who cream over Fox News. Every single one of them knew every detail about the case and knew every person's name and occupation when they took the stand. I guess it had something to do with the rich people having tons of free time to watch Nancy Grace, but part of me wondered if any of them would give a shit is little Caylee was African American, Latina, or even Asian.



Let's not forget that she was also acquitted of manslaughter and child abuse, not just murder.
That's cause we love a cute little white girl. Idk what to think honestly. I didn't know anything about it until Monday when my aunt was watching it on the TV. I just hope Casey doesn't end up becoming some sort of celebrity over it. I probably would have convicted her. I think a lot of people would have. She got lucky with those particular jurors. My grandma was commenting on how one of them didn't believe in judging people. Dahell they gonna put someone like that on the jury? It puzzles me and the whole thing smells bad you know?
__________________
costume plans?!

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning


eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #1570
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas
 
Formalhaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowchrist View Post
That's cause we love a cute little white girl. Idk what to think honestly. I didn't know anything about it until Monday when my aunt was watching it on the TV. I just hope Casey doesn't end up becoming some sort of celebrity over it. I probably would have convicted her. I think a lot of people would have. She got lucky with those particular jurors. My grandma was commenting on how one of them didn't believe in judging people. Dahell they gonna put someone like that on the jury? It puzzles me and the whole thing smells bad you know?

convicting people to the chair or life in prison based solely on circumstantial evidence is WRONG. did she do it? I dont know. but unless I know 100% WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, and have CONCRETE PROOF, I could NOT put away someone forever.

I repeat my previous statement: with all of the cases now out that forensics is proving guys that have been serving 35 years of a life sentence are innocent, people are really nervous to convict someone without concreted evidence. They don't want to fuck up and sentence some human to death or life in prison and later find out they fucked up bad and the girl/guy was innocent the whole time.
__________________
PLANNED COSPLAYS
Elesa
Candide
Yuna
Velvet

custom viera ears here!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #1571
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet
 
rubyspitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,539
leaving afghanistan:

all i have to say is ABOUT TIME. bin laden is gone, job is done, gtfo. my cousin is mentally unfit due to ptsd, and one of my friends lost her brother over there. obama said he'd start pulling U.S. forces out as soon as he got into office, that was almost three years ago. enough is enough
__________________
Old enough to know better, still young enough to not care

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)


Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #1572
iSavvy
wooooosh
 
iSavvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
convicting people to the chair or life in prison based solely on circumstantial evidence is WRONG. did she do it? I dont know. but unless I know 100% WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, and have CONCRETE PROOF, I could NOT put away someone forever.

I repeat my previous statement: with all of the cases now out that forensics is proving guys that have been serving 35 years of a life sentence are innocent, people are really nervous to convict someone without concreted evidence. They don't want to fuck up and sentence some human to death or life in prison and later find out they fucked up bad and the girl/guy was innocent the whole time.

yeah it's seriously crazy how many people have been sentenced to years and years in jail only to be found innocent later with the forensics and technology we have today; the forensics course i took last year spent a week or two on false sentences, and there are more of these than you would think. I completely agree with Formalhaut; unless we know for sure and have no doubts we cannot be sentencing people to a life in jail. or at least i couldn't do that, there's no way i could live with myself if i did.
__________________

upcoming cons:
Dragon*Con 2011
AWA 2011
NerdaCon 2011
Momocon 2012
AAD 2012
SeishunCon 2012
iSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #1573
Kama
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 419
Re: Casey Anthony

I totally ignored this for the most part but it was really difficult since it is everywhere. I honestly feel like something horrible should happen to her purely for not reporting her child missing, but that's not the legal system's place in this case.

That said, I was on a jury case. It was nothing near the level of murder, it was over medical malpractice. I didn't realize how little power the jury has over things, in the end. We were given two options after five days of trial. One option was paying the plaintiff EVERYTHING he was asking for. And he was asking for something to the tune of $100,000 when his medical bills were tiny and the accident was nothing that couldn't be fixed. The other option was giving him NOTHING.

There was no doubt the doctor involved was guilty as hell of doing the wrong thing and treating him the wrong way. Unfortunately because we weren't allowed to decide what to do (pay for the man's procedures and lost wages), he didn't get anything. I have no idea if it's the same for murder, but sometimes you aren't given the option of punishing someone for something you know they did wrong if you aren't given damning evidence of it.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #1574
Anima-Mort
Angry Adjective
 
Anima-Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 432
I can't even think of something to put on this link outside of saying I can't think of something to put on this link.

With the Casey Anthony discussion going on I remembered hearing this in fragment while watching CNN the other night, but at the time it seemed more or less like the anchors were making a sort of idle, if sensational, conversation. I'd been trying to stay away from the Casey Annthony trial (it got too aggrandized by the media for me to endure it; would there have been the same outrage and disbelief if Casey Anthony was not a young, financially stable, attractive white woman and Caylee Anthony not a white, attractive little girl? I think statistically this sort of situation sadly occurs on a much more frequent basis than portrayed, and this particular trial got attention based on media bias and aesthetics) I didn't actually realize that there was some serious speculation on this until I googled it after remembering. The article itself is more or less just documenting the buzz that the rumors of a potential tv show or movie made, but... Christ, just the thought of it is fucking nauseating.


For a little expounding on the situation, the first entry in googling 'casey anthony reality show' resulted in a CP article. I normally don't read Christian Post, but I felt that this had some insightful sentiment on the subject.
__________________


"Drinking your own blood is the paradigm of recycling." -Gary Busey
Anima-Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #1575
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.
 
hollowchrist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
convicting people to the chair or life in prison based solely on circumstantial evidence is WRONG. did she do it? I dont know. but unless I know 100% WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, and have CONCRETE PROOF, I could NOT put away someone forever.

I repeat my previous statement: with all of the cases now out that forensics is proving guys that have been serving 35 years of a life sentence are innocent, people are really nervous to convict someone without concreted evidence. They don't want to fuck up and sentence some human to death or life in prison and later find out they fucked up bad and the girl/guy was innocent the whole time.
Nah I mean, I understand that. But I also think that not convicting someone for something less when the entire thing reeks as bad as it does is bad. I may not have sent her to the chair, but I'd have cast my vote for something. I think we rely too much on DNA and all that anymore.
__________________
costume plans?!

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning


eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.