Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 329 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #151
A.F.S. 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Both?

Kidding --- pretty sure she was talking about the content of the failbook screenshot and not your own comment.

(Why would you close your main account because of failbook? You post statuses/have people on your friends list that make it so you could easily end u pthere?)
I didnt really do the update thing all that much. Dont get me wrong I believe facebook is a great tool but I think that it may have taken a darker tint in the present. I believe it is equivalant to reality tv in being a guilty pleasure that people indulge in. Unlike reality tv though (I think), facebook has caused death.

JIU JITSU is life.
A.F.S. 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #152
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Consistently women are given the message that their voices do not matter, the way they are is stupid and wrong, and that they should change, but men will never bother to amend their ways when their actions disrespect or disregard women.
This is what led to me quitting my job and the worst part was that my bosses who sent this message were women.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #153
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Both?

Kidding --- pretty sure she was talking about the content of the failbook screenshot and not your own comment.

(Why would you close your main account because of failbook? You post statuses/have people on your friends list that make it so you could easily end u pthere?)
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #154
sam vimes
A real live wire

The man awarded the Nobel Prize in 2009 is currently bombing the former head of the UN Human Rights Commission, who has been slaughtering his own people for weeks.

Classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #155
Chipface
Master Ninja

I still think Paul Rusesabagina should have won the Nobel Prize instead of Obama.
Chipface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #156
Amanita

About the whole business of how some of the worst misogyny comes from women, I was reading a post recently, I believe it was something linked to from angryblackwoman.com.
The OP talked about the disgusting sexual harrassment she encountered on a daily basis.
For the record, she mentioned she was pretty, and the so called "pretty privelege" which went with that.

I couldn't believe some of the comments. Nasty, snarky comments made about her looks- how dare a "pretty" or "priveleged" person complain? How dare somebody on the upside of things come out and say that it's not all wonderful, and it has its sucky sides? There were even hateful comments about users of public transit, and how anyone who doesn't like being sexually harrassed on a daily basis should use the money from their "grown-up job" on cab fare to and from work each day.
And most of this crap was coming from other women.

Rather than recognize how much sexism hurts everyone (not just pretty people, and not just women), many of the people in that discussion just tore each other down. Sad.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #157
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

@Amanita: i have found that a lot of people with the "victim mentality" end up taking actions that only hurt themselves. it isn't just in politics

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #158
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Starbucks is a small community-based company, health reform kills jobs. And if you buy that, there's a bridge I'd like to sell you.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #159
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Wow. That is just one reason that I won't even walk into a Starbucks, much less buy their overpriced swill.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #160
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Lol I applied at a Starbucks recently because I heard they had good health care.

/snarf/
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #161
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Wouldn't make a difference in Canada, since we have universal health care... (also, the US's complete and utter refusal to make health care actually accesible to people is one of my biggest pisseries. For fuck's sake, people living in COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIPS are better able to get actual medical treatment...)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #162
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Wouldn't make a difference in Canada, since we have universal health care... (also, the US's complete and utter refusal to make health care actually accesible to people is one of my biggest pisseries. For fuck's sake, people living in COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIPS are better able to get actual medical treatment...)
That's what so many people in the U.S use against Universal Health Care. Because they say they don't want to be 'like the communists' or some-shit.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #163
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

And yet pointing them up North to Canada, a first-world democracy with universal health care, and western Europe, all first-world democracies with universal health care, and Japan, first-world democracy with universal health care won't prove that otherwise.... (And hell, Canada's is CRAP compared to many of the other countries I mentioned. But I can be guaranteed that if I'm injured or sick and need medical attention, it's not going to cost me anything at all (except for if I have to buy a prescription. Since I don't have a drug plan/Dad's won't cover me.).
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #164
Kildread
I can fix it!

Pretty sure it's because people in general do not want to pay for other folks.

Universal health care here is nice, practical and there when I need it.

However, I still cringe when I think part of the money taken out of my paycheck every 2 weeks goes to support the cancers that do not work in this area of the city and smoke all day. And it goes to cover their medical treatment and clog up the lines for treatments because while I'm at the office working, they're sitting in the medical office waiting for 3 hours.

...I've used extreme examples, but it's that kind of reality I'm fairly sure is hard to stomach for a lot of people in the US.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #165
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

...but then in the long term, having a nation of sick people who can't keep up with the rest of the world due to lack of billionare bucks to just simply be healthy?... i sure don't see the sense in that. Not having universal healthcare is something like saying "Medical care is NOT a human right, it's a PRIVILEGE, and you're not rich so you can't have it".

If it weren't for U.H.C., my dad would probably have been killed by severe hypothyroidism, and I'd be in shit shape too.