Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 435 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #196
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Dear US fellows,

Do you really have a political party named 'Tea Party' or is it a nickname?

A canadian in search of answers.
It's not really a party, it's a political movement, but there are currently a lot of Americans subscribing to their ideologies, and in the last elections quite a few candidates ran under Tea Party endorsement-- and quite a few of them won seats. Right now you can't actually register yourself with the Tea Party or go into a voting booth and select a Tea Party candidate, but... *sigh* who knows what the future holds?
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #197
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Dear US fellows,

No. The Tea Parties were pretty much to 2010 as the anti-war protests were to 2003; just a brief phase lazy U.S. citizens from opposite sides of the political spectrum were going through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #198
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Have you ever suffered through the novel? If that isn't the case, then you know not my pain or hilarity.
No. I recognize her name, but likely from some US news show.

... and afaik the tea party hasn't splintered off from the republicans, it's more or less as festering sore on their side.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #199
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
It's not really a party, it's a political movement, but there are currently a lot of Americans subscribing to their ideologies, and in the last elections quite a few candidates ran under Tea Party endorsement-- and quite a few of them won seats. Right now you can't actually register yourself with the Tea Party or go into a voting booth and select a Tea Party candidate, but... *sigh* who knows what the future holds?
There is also now the coffee party.

Which makes me wonder... when will we get the hot chocolate party? It can sit in the middle.

Progressive socially, fiscally conservative. THE PC PARTY WILL BE REBORN IN AMERICA!

*moves down and starts party*

We used to have them in Canada, until they made a dumb move and aligned with the reform party so they could actually win an election. They got eaten up and spit out basically under the new party Canadian alliance or w/e, which then changed its name to the conservative party. I miss them.

Unread 03-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #200
A.F.S. 1984

Quote:
Dear US fellows,

Anything you want to know about teabaggers, this youtube channel will tell you:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nauiocelotl?feature=chclk

JIU JITSU is life.
A.F.S. 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #201
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post

Which makes me wonder... when will we get the hot chocolate party? It can sit in the middle.

Progressive socially, fiscally conservative. THE PC PARTY WILL BE REBORN IN AMERICA!

*moves down and starts party*
i would join the hot chocolate party!

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #202
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post

Progressive socially, fiscally conservative. THE PC PARTY WILL BE REBORN IN AMERICA
The coffee party barely even exists; it's more of a hipster reaction to the Tea Party that thinks it's being funny or something. I would join the Hot Chocolate Party, though, so long as their marshmallows strike a sufficient balance between crunchiness and meltiness.

Pretty certain Americans are physically incapable of grasping the notion of being socially progressive and fiscally conservative at the same time. It's like defying laws of U.S. nature, or something. You're socially and fiscally conservative, or you're socially and fiscally liberal, or you might as well go live in Canada or something, GOD.

Incidentally, while Republican politicians have run with Tea Party support, because let's face it, the U.S. operates along a two-party system, more and more Tea Partiers consider themselves libertarians (You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.) and consider the majority of Republicans too soft and wishy-washy.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #203
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I've been to a Tea Party rally. They're Republicans. They are just the far-right wing of the party. And, FYI, Misters Ron and Rand Paul, anti-choice libertarian is an oxymoron.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #204
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

The elections in Canada really bum me out. Minority governments are just way to unstable as the opposition just has too much power, and they always end up whining about everything and threatening to other-throw the government with a collation.... and then bam we are back to the polls again. Elections in the past few years? Lots...

2004, Liberals get in.... 2006 new elections due to non confidence vote provoked by a sponsorship scandal... conservatives get in... and have a minority government. A really weak one. 2008 new elections held after conservatives feel the government was ground to a halt due to lack of co-operation (liberals, NDP and the block had conspired to take over the government with a coalition, but nothing came of it... sparked an election anyways) and the conservatives win a health minority goverment. 2011... back to the polls after the liberals decide they can't wait, and throw down a non-confidence vote as well as reject the budget.

...way too many elections... been every two years since 2004...

Unread 03-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #205
Amanita

^And on top of that, we have to put up with US-style attack ads, where all they do is trash on the other guys. United States I like you, but attack ads were one thing you really didn't need to export. Ick. Take them back, please!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #206
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

The Tea Party's going to have trouble maintaining credibility with fringe doodles like this still aligning themselves with the movement.
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #207
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
The Tea Party's going to have trouble maintaining credibility with fringe doodles like this still aligning themselves with the movement.
Wooooow, really? Really?

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #208
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Well, I would agree that WASP's are going extinct... but it's mainly because not many people are Protestant's anymore.

Unread 03-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #209
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

First a spat between the Phillipines and China over territories, now another one with China executing Filipino drug smugglers on the day they announced their sentence despite appeals for clemency and political concessions.

I wonder if China's execution was a reaction to Phillipines' sending of warbirds to tell them to back off their borders.

But then again I'm not good at this. Though my relatives are Filipinos it's gotten me curious.
The Seventh Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #210
FalconW

Want to say something after reading another thread, kinda deals with politics, though more of what I call politics of humanity.

I don't quite understand what's the big deal about getting furious and mad whenever someone sits on, drags, burns, etc. a flag. To me, it's just a flag, a piece of material. If I saw someone doing one of those things to my country's flag, I wouldn't really care. Do I love my country? Of course, but I'm not going to go all ballistic on someone over a piece of material.

This is one of many reasons why I think we humans are failing as a society. We fight over the stupidest of things like who's country is better or who's god is better. And if we slightly criticize our own country's policies or actions, we get called out as being "anti-freedom", "anti-(insert nationality)" and told "If you don't like what our country does, then leave it!" What is wrong with us? We should have learned from society's past, but it seems we haven't.
FalconW is offline   Reply With Quote