Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 388 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #3211
Lithium Flower
Handphones

I found that the more I responded to the taunts the worse it got. When I acted like it didn't bother me, and completely ignored it, it was easier. It didn't stop completely but they got bored with an unresponsive target.

Telling the student to make up an arsenal of witty and clever comebacks is like giving someone a tank of gas to put their house fire out.

Unlike in the movies, that rarely goes as smoothly as we imagine in our heads and the victim is more likely to stumble over their well rehearsed comeback library and end up being put in a worse situation then if they where to keep their mouths shut. While Disney may have us believe that a well placed "YOUR MAMA" will have the herd of popular ladies turning and running leaving nothing behind but a trail of tears, I have yet to see such an event in the real world and have my doubts that they exist outside of occurrences that are as miraculous and spontaneous as solar flares.

That isn't even taking into account it doesn't matter how witty, emotionally crippling, and perfectly timed a comeback could be if the person with it in their head is too afraid to stand up and say it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #3212
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Rick Santorum tells sick child and his mother drug companies can charge whatever they like for needed medications, because some people pay $900 for iPads.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #3213
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I guess if you are that twisted and hateful inside, you can make yourself believe there was a good reason for those children to kill themselves, for those parents to mourn, that they deserved what they got. It just makes me sick to my stomach. I don't understand... losing my child is like a constant nightmare; I burst into tears reading about Justin Aaberg and his mother. How would I keep living in my community knowing there were people around me every day who hurt my child so bad he felt like he had no other options, who basically took my baby from me? I don't know if I could find that much forgiveness in my heart.
"Acceptable answer" be damned. I would have killed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #3214
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Stop.Finding.These.Things.ERGGGGGG
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #3215
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I found that the more I responded to the taunts the worse it got. When I acted like it didn't bother me, and completely ignored it, it was easier. It didn't stop completely but they got bored with an unresponsive target.
It was the exact opposite for me. Ignoring actually made it a lot worse. I got death threats because I was ignoring the taunts. But if I ever said something not so nice to the bullies the administration would be all over it while ignoring the things they did to me. My dad was a teacher there and I think they wanted to show they weren't giving me special treatment. In the end, they were it just wasn't a good type of "special treatment."

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #3216
Lithium Flower
Handphones

With my teachers they thought my depression and anxiety was me looking for 'attention' and actually called a meeting together to ask me about it. Dumb broads..

No ma'am I am not upset because I want attention I am upset because my classmates are douchebags.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #3217
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

O_o

What's your next post going to be? "[political busy body] proposes implementing the policies outlined by Johnothan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal'*."?

* And not the actual policies he hid in there.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #3218
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
O_o

What's your next post going to be? "[political busy body] proposes implementing the policies outlined by Johnothan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal'*."?

* And not the actual policies he hid in there.
That's the guy who suggested the irish eat babies right?
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #3219
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
That's the guy who suggested the irish eat babies right?
Actually, he suggested that the Irish sell their babies to be eaten by the English (thus providing England with a supply of meat and solve "The Irish Problem" by both giving them income and fewer mouths to feed). But close enough.

Also, just to remind everyone; he was being satirical (his essay ended with some "absurd alternatives" which outlined his own view on the matter).

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #3220
Somethingducky

I just wanted to chime in on my experience with bullying, since its been in the media so very much recently and it's brought up a lot of memories. I was bullied tons in Elementary and Junior High and not even for any real reason, I wasn't homosexual, red haired, overweight or any other obvious sort of target, just too quiet, maybe a little too geeky. I had girls literally follow me into the bathroom to taunt me where the teachers couldn't see, and refuse to pair up or sit next to me in class. I was prank called at home to the point of not even answering the phone for several years. In middle school a group of boys hissed mean "nick names" constantly when they passed me in the hall or in class. My locker was vandalized, my backpack kicked repeatedly when put in the pile outside of the lunchroom. I was suicidal and very depressed at one point.

Oddly enough, it got better in high-school. I think by then I had managed to find my place in the safety of a large group of fellow misfits, punks, goths and geeks. It was helpful that I managed to go the the more "artsy" school in town and that the school population was a big melting pot fed into by several different junior highs so there where a lot of student who didn't know me as "the target". College is even more of a clean slate situation so I think that things do get better if you can just keep moving forward and find solstice in a good friend or two.

What scares me the most about bullying now is all the cells phone and internet. I can't imagine what it must be like with rumors/gossip and embarrassing photos at everyone fingertips every second of every day. All it takes is a Facebook post or twitter or text...if these has existed when I was dealing with all that teasing I very likely would have killed myself. And the only way that it going to stop is awareness really. I make it a point to think before I text/post/tweet/whatever and try very hard not to play into any workplace gossip (there will always be gossip even among "adults"). So that's my two cents, hope I haven't bummed anyone out.
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #3221
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I was close. we read it in high school history class.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #3222
Lithium Flower
Handphones

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #3223
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

...what, the fuck. That both made me laugh and go O_o. ...is that a political party? And what the hell is on his head??? Are milliners that ridiculous now for designs? I thought that freaking "antler hat" one of the Princesses wore at the royal wedding was ridiculously shaped enough....
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3224
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Ron Paul calls for the elimination of public lands.

Those pesky national parks, just sitting around taking up valuable space that could be used for Ron Paul.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #3225
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Ron Paul calls for the elimination of public lands.

Those pesky national parks, just sitting around taking up valuable space that could be used for Ron Paul.

Disapproves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote