Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 408 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #4741
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Here's a positive story for a change - Out magazine names Nate Silver their person of the year. My favorite quotes from the interview:

Quote:
Peggy Noonan is someone who is very, very skilled at making bullshit look like some elegant soufflť

Iím very conservative in some sense because I do believe that hard work is a huge part of the equation. Itís often not sufficient to bring about success, but itís very often necessary if you want to be really good at something.

A lot of this is about values. I think I have a better value system than the punditsóI care about truth, and I care about informing people, and they care about ratings.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #4742
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volnixshin View Post
So... what happens to Lanza's brother? Or the rest of his family?

Childrens families aside, the Lanza will now be scrutinized for all time
So what? All they have to do is legally change they're name if they want to avoid this scrutiny that concerns you so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #4743
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
So what? All they have to do is legally change they're name if they want to avoid this scrutiny that concerns you so.
Not really. It's not that simple for them

Changing your entire history/backstory, and name, along with moving to a new place, that's not easy.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #4744
sam vimes
A real live wire

Well if you want to be sympathetic towards them, more power to you. I simply don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #4745
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

I wasn't directing the initial comment at you Sam.

Its not about my personal care, its about the news and what they show. plenty of some kids parents and mourning, but not the other end of the spectrum's victims

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #4746
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

I just watched a speech the head of the NRA gave.

At the risk of sounding like an ignorant inhabitant of a small island...mainstream political figures in the USA actually believe all that?

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #4747
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I just watched a speech the head of the NRA gave.

At the risk of sounding like an ignorant inhabitant of a small island...mainstream political figures in the USA actually believe all that?
I haven't watched LaPierre's speech and I'm not able to find the full text, but the gist I'm getting is that he blamed violent media (again), and that the NRA is proposing to fight school shootings by placing armed volunteers in schools.

Yes, there are politicians that actually believe this is a good idea. Texas's Representative Gohmert stated "I wish to God she had had an m-4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out ... and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids".

Virginia's governor said, "If people were armed, not just a police officer, but other school officials that were trained and chose to have a weapon, certainly there would be an opportunity to stop an individual trying to get into the school".

Governor Perry of TX (who was a Republican candidate for President) praised a school district in his state that allows teachers and other school staff to carry concealed weapons at work.

Representative Dennis Richard, of Oregon, stated in an email that, if he'd been at Sandy Hook with a gun, he would have been able to take Lanza out before anyone else was hurt.

Their answer to ending gun violence is, legitimately, to give more people more guns.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #4748
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I haven't watched LaPierre's speech and I'm not able to find the full text, but the gist I'm getting is that he blamed violent media (again), and that the NRA is proposing to fight school shootings by placing armed volunteers in schools.

Yes, there are politicians that actually believe this is a good idea. Texas's Representative Gohmert stated "I wish to God she had had an m-4 in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out ... and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids".

Virginia's governor said, "If people were armed, not just a police officer, but other school officials that were trained and chose to have a weapon, certainly there would be an opportunity to stop an individual trying to get into the school".

Governor Perry of TX (who was a Republican candidate for President) praised a school district in his state that allows teachers and other school staff to carry concealed weapons at work.

Representative Dennis Richard, of Oregon, stated in an email that, if he'd been at Sandy Hook with a gun, he would have been able to take Lanza out before anyone else was hurt.

Their answer to ending gun violence is, legitimately, to give more people more guns.
Texas, Virigina, Oregon......waiting for reps from Flordia, AZ and Colorado to weigh-in to complete this shit sandwhich.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #4749
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post

I think the biggest issue is these people are assuming the individuals in question are the 'good guys'. They're basing their statements off the assumption that the armed volunteers are going to be the good guys versus the 'other' bad guys. That these random people volunteering are going to be trained guards standing vigil in the halls protecting Americas youngin's. But they aren't considering for a single second that any of these people could be anything other then ultimately good. They're thinking of school shooters as an 'other' rather than being part of us and that's a dangerous separation to make when it leads to assuming the 'us' is universally good.

What damage could a group of armed adults do in a single elementary school? What about threatening a child at gun point? What's a 5 year old child going to do if one of those armed volunteers holds a gun to them and threatens them in order to command them inappropriately? These are adult men and women (though my assumption is they mean men) who would be in an enormous position of power over young children who are completely powerless and no one thinks for a single second this could be a bad thing?

Are you going to do background checks on the volunteers and figure they're A-Ok?Are you going to assume that because they don't have depression or a criminal record that they're incapable of doing something bad? I am just going to go ahead and bite the unpleasant bullet and throw this out in the open:

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
What if these volunteers are sexually abusing the children at school? A vast majority of molestation cases go unreported and young children very rarely seek out help themselves. The reported rate of sexual abuse by age 18 is 1-4 girls and 1-6 to 10 boys though it's suspected the rate is equal with girls.

They're making the assumption that these theoretical volunteers are 'us' and that 'us' means good, so the bad guys must be 'them' and are completely detached from 'us'. That's a very dangerous mentality when throwing out ideas like this.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #4750
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarCHris View Post
Texas, Virigina, Oregon......waiting for reps from Flordia, AZ and Colorado to weigh-in to complete this shit sandwhich.
Oh, they have, but they were all spouting the same rhetoric and I didn't see any point in repeating myself too many times.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #4751
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

I was mostly getting at the "good and bad guys" bit.

I found it quite odd he started portraying the world in terms of heroes and villains after blaming mental illness and violent works of fiction for shootings.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #4752
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I was mostly getting at the "good and bad guys" bit.

I found it quite odd he started portraying the world in terms of heroes and villains after blaming mental illness and violent works of fiction for shootings.
And the Hurricane.

And the President.

And the Media.

And look, I'm not saying you should be like "I feel that Call of Duty : Black Ops 2, a game available on several devices" when you're trying to use videya as a scapegoat, but name dropping 2 games that A) Dont have guns amd B) Are 15+ year old show that you're a tad behind the times, and out of your friggin mind.

Also guess what-Canada, Asia, and Europe have access to THE SAME VIOLENT WORKS OF FICTION AS WE DO AND THEY ARE NOT SHOOTING UP THE PLACE!

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #4753
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Violent media (books, games, etc) do not cause people to become violent.

Not properly educating our youth to understand the difference between reality and fantasy contributes to it. As does a host of other things such as teaching empathy for others and teaching our children (particularly young boys) to value other people.

You know all those kids programs? Like Blues Clues and Dora the Explorer? Children under a certain age (I believe it's 4 or 5) cannot even differentiate between when their show begins (regardless of it's purely animated like Dora or has live actors like Blue's Clues) and when commercial adverts come on. Which is why some countries have actually banned marketing companies from targeting very young children as part of their advertisements. They mentally have no skills in determining the difference. They just don't. They're like little bundles of baby play-dough that are shaped and stretched every which way because they just don't have the capacity to know the difference yet.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 12-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #4754
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
The Iowa Supreme Court ruled that bosses can fire employees they see as an “irresistible attraction,” even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong.

The Associated Press reported that the all-male court ruled on Friday that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage.
Source

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 12-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #4755
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

You know Columbine had an armed guy on their property. Part of some community policing program. He fired at Harris - 4 bullets - and he hit him... but he was wearing Kevlar or w/e and so even though he spun hard, he wasn't actually wounded.

So i mean, even if you conceive that more armed persons would be a good idea - you are basically in an escalation race.

I mean it was only this summer i head about innocent bystanders being killed in a shootout between NYC cops and some disgruntled ex-employee.... and these cops are consistently trained in using a gun (I hope).

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote