Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 321 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #4846
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoycosplay View Post
And 38 percent of Americans can't pass the citizenship test.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/nati...p-test_6185710

So because we have a lot of uneducated people that don't know even the 3 branches of government, let alone the historical, legal, and philosophical aspects of the constitution, America should throw away our civil liberties?
Wait... Are you actually trying to say that smart people like guns and dumb people don't? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

If that's the case then you must really hate guns.

Oh wait, it's Pinoy... She doesn't do replying.

Last edited by Sybren117 : 02-12-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #4847
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Actually, pinoy does have a point which, as usual, she makes badly. Even if the majority of citizens hold a certain opinion, the US federal government through the Supreme Court can strike down (or uphold) laws and that decision is imposed upon people whether the majority of them want it or not. Brown v. Board of Education in which the Court declared that segregated public schools were unconstitutional, is one of the best known examples. Some people (like me) would argue that marriage equality is another such issue. Nevertheless, there is much meaningful discussion to be had about interpreting and enforcing a document that is over two hundred year old given the technological changes since that time. Paranoia, conspiracy theories and screeching about prying guns from one's cold dead hands isn't particularly useful.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #4848
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

I will always fail to see how instituting things we should have had /long ago (background checks, ban on certain guns *like you need an AK*) is the equivalent of taking away your rights to guns. Background checks should have been set from the start, considering that it's guns, and they only keep getting more and more lethal. And as if Suburban Joe needs an AK with 50 boxes of ammo. What are you going to do, fend off your house against an army of burglars? A pistol with a 10 ammo clip can do the job of protecting your household just as well.

Ken Amada Dark Hour uniform - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Kyo Sohma Winter school uniform - Fruits Basket

Honey-senpai Ouran school uniform - Ouran Highschool Host Club

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

Len Kagamine Append - Vocaloid

My Life In a Nutshell
Tak-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #4849
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak-kun View Post
Joe needs an AK with 50 boxes of ammo. What are you going to do, fend off your house against an army of burglars? A pistol with a 10 ammo clip can do the job of protecting your household just as well.
I think the legislation against pistols VS AKs is different to begin with because a pistol is a concealable weapon.

But then again, this is the USA we're talking about and firearms aren't widely available her (Québec) --- so what do I know.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #4850
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I think the legislation against pistols VS AKs is different to begin with because a pistol is a concealable weapon.

But then again, this is the USA we're talking about and firearms aren't widely available her (Québec) --- so what do I know.
That is very true, yes. But in relation to the event that really set this debate off again (Sandy Hook), concealable vs. non-concealable didn't really make a difference. The dude pulled up in his truck, took his automatic out of the back and walked in.

I just really do not see a need for typical citizen Joe to have such a heavy duty weapon. If you want a gun for protection, fine. A pistol does the job (skirting the concealable legislation can of worms atm).

Yeah, the USA def has a love problem with guns. It always has.

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

My Life In a Nutshell
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #4851
sam vimes
A real live wire

I don't want to be the "Can you imagine if the Bush administration had done this" Guy, but...

And I would love to get the Hag's take on this as it unfolds or becomes a big deal, as she's the only one here who was alive during Watergate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #4852
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I don't want to be the "Can you imagine if the Bush administration had done this" Guy, but...

And I would love to get the Hag's take on this as it unfolds or becomes a big deal, as she's the only one here who was alive during Watergate.
And this counts as news... why?

I think some brain cells died while reading that.

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

My Life In a Nutshell
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #4853
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
And this counts as news... why?

I think some brain cells died while reading that.
Sigh...The White House threatened Bob Woodward, as in Woodward and Bernstein? But I suppose I'm silly for expecting anyone here to care or show interest in something that has nothing to do with gun control or birth control or gay rights or Republicans beings twats.

Now, why exactly did some brain cells die?

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #4854
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
Sigh...The White House threatened Bob Woodward, as in Woodward and Bernstein? But I suppose I'm silly for expecting anyone here to care or show interest in something that has nothing to do with gun control or birth control or gay rights or Republicans beings twats.

Now, why exactly did some brain cells die?
So many assumptions upon my character, so little evidence!

You use the word "threatened". I find that pretty funny. Considering it was a "senior member" of the white house saying he will "regret" this in an "email", I consider the use of the word "threaten" or any of it's variants attention whoring until actual threats by actual people (there are a lot of "senior members" in the white house) are made.

Because of the examples he used. They're so hilariously not even relevant, yet he's saying them entirely serious, that it killed brain cells.

"omg obama didn't move ship into the gulf because we're totally broke and it would cost money"
"THAT WOULDN'T HAVE STOPPED CLINTON FROM ATTACKING A TERRORIST INTELLIGENCE HQ!"

Like really? Did he seriously just make that comparison or..?

EDIT: Oh, pardon me, even better. A "very senior member" of the White House, apparently.

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

My Life In a Nutshell

Last edited by Tak-kun : 02-27-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #4855
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Sigh...The White House threatened Bob Woodward
Bro, do you even Google?
Quote:
Digging into one of his famous folders, Woodward said the tirade was followed by a page-long email from the aide, one of the four or five administration officials most closely involved in the fiscal negotiations with the Hill. “I apologize for raising my voice in our conversation today,” the official typed. “You’re focusing on a few specific trees that give a very wrong impression of the forest. But perhaps we will just not see eye to eye here. … I think you will regret staking out that claim.”
Wow, that sounds menacing!

As to the "imagine what people would say if Bush had done this." We don't have to imagine. Bush did a lot of shit and liberals screamed about it. Obama is doing a lot of the same shit and the liberals aren't screaming about it. Duh. A lot of liberals are hypocrites. Just like a lot of Republicans. Just like a lot of people in general.

Last edited by The Hag : 02-27-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #4856
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
So many assumptions upon my character, so little evidence!

You use the word "threatened". I find that pretty funny. Considering it was a "senior member" of the white house saying he will "regret" this in an "email", I consider the use of the word "threaten" or any of it's variants attention whoring until actual threats by actual people (there are a lot of "senior members" in the white house) are made.

Because of the examples he used. They're so hilariously not even relevant, yet he's saying them entirely serious, that it killed brain cells.

"omg obama didn't move ship into the gulf because we're totally broke and it would cost money"
"THAT WOULDN'T HAVE STOPPED CLINTON FROM ATTACKING A TERRORIST INTELLIGENCE HQ!"

Like really? Did he seriously just make that comparison or..?

EDIT: Oh, pardon me, even better. A "very senior member" of the White House, apparently.
The referred-to assumptions were based on the history of this thread, not you. I should have made that clearer.

Throw around all the inverted commas you want, it doesn't change the fact that one of the guys who brought down Nixon is reporting that he was threatened by one of the higher-ups in the Obama administration. It could be silly. It could be blown out of proportion. I might wind up with egg on my face for barking about this so soon. It's just interesting to me.

As for finding it laughable that someone would compare the actions of a president to the actions of past presidents, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Especially when Obama continues to be all about spending on social programs.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #4857
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag;4620495As
Not thoroughly enough sometimes. See above post.

Quote:
As to the "imagine what people would say if Bush had done this." We don't have to imagine. Bush did a lot of shit and liberals screamed about it. Obama is doing a lot of the same shit and the liberals aren't screaming about it. Duh. A lot of liberals are hypocrites. Just like a lot of Republicans. Just like a lot of people in general.
That's why I said "I hate to be that guy."

Really, most of the fascination is because it's Woodward.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #4858
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Really, most of the fascination is because it's Woodward.
Do I think that the Obama White House tries to manipulate and strong arm the press? Absolutely. Just like every other Administration ever. But their threat is cutting off access and perks, not fitting him with cement shoes or siccing the FBI on him.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #4859
Tak-kun
King of the Shotacon!

Quote:
The referred-to assumptions were based on the history of this thread, not you. I should have made that clearer.

Throw around all the inverted commas you want, it doesn't change the fact that one of the guys who brought down Nixon is reporting that he was threatened by one of the higher-ups in the Obama administration. It could be silly. It could be blown out of proportion. I might wind up with egg on my face for barking about this so soon. It's just interesting to me.

As for finding it laughable that someone would compare the actions of a president to the actions of past presidents, we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Especially when Obama continues to be all about spending on social programs.
Ah, I see. Shame on this thread's past, then.

Just like every politician ever reports some kind of threat from the other side at some point in their careers, especially during election season. Doesn't matter what party, they'll make the claim eventually. If even that. Hag already cleared it up, but most of the time they'll just take a snippet of a conversation and then blow it far out of proportion in an attempt to garner media attention.

Agree to disagree then. I would like to point out I wasn't laughing because he's comparing one president's actions to a past presidents. I was laughing because of the comparison itself. It's like apples to oranges. He's comparing not sending a ship to a gulf (not a warzone) to Clinton letting that stop him from attacking a Terrorist Intelligence HQ. They're kind of entirely different objectives and situations.

I do agree that this story is more interesting than most stories in the media, though, as stupid as I may think it is. What's that tell you about the media these days. x~x

Future Cosplays:

Sora - KH2

Roxas - KH2

My Life In a Nutshell

Last edited by Tak-kun : 02-27-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Unread 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #4860
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Ah, I see. Shame on this thread's past, then.
Why because people care about those things?

Jesus christ sam you can read whatever politickin you want but don't start in on others because we may focus on certain issues.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote