Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 410 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #4936
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
I admit to knowing virtually nothing about her.

So I have no real opinion and will refrain from making one based on what tumblr yells in my face.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #4937
sam vimes
A real live wire
 
sam vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I'm not on FB or Tumblr or Twitter, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are ignorant Americans born in the 80's and 90's going, "She was a Conservative? I don't know anything about her but I automatically hate her!" That's why I'm not on FB or Tumblr or Twitter. The things I've read in NYT, the Economist, etc. have been pretty even-handed if not completely laudatory.
That's my main issue.

And there absolutely are claims that she should be held accountable for the actions of the Khmer Rouge(!).
__________________
Raising respectable and dignified ferrets since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #4938
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Actually, people said a lot of shit about her when she was still alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I am inherently bothered by the notion that as a woman, any and all criticism I might have for another woman is automatically seen as me playing into society wanting me to hate other women.
My issues with the anti-Thatcher posts I've been seeing are that they're coming from
a) Americans
b) born in the 80's and 90's
c) who just a few days ago were railing against the anti-FEMEN sentiments because it's so unfair how women treat other women when we should be supporting one another, etc.

People who were actually impacted by her actions or were at least old enough to be cognizant of her politics during her terms are welcome to hold any opinions on her they like and to make any criticisms they feel are warranted, including being glad to spit on her grave, even though I feel that's excessive from someone who may have been a shit politician but pretty assuredly was not a genocidal monster or something.

I am just tired of seeing these indignant opinions-- positive or negative-- being blabbed by people who were still giving each other cootie shots on the playground when Thatcher was in office.
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #4939
Lithium Flower
Handphones
 
Lithium Flower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 15,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I am just tired of seeing these indignant opinions-- positive or negative-- being blabbed by people who were still giving each other cootie shots on the playground when Thatcher was in office.
Considering I just got my cootie vaccination last week (goddamn it Brandon stop rolling in cooties) I think I am gonna stay outta the Thatcher debates going on.
__________________
Iíll tell you what people look like, really: they look like flames. Or like the stars, on a clear night in the wilderness.
LiveStream
Emmers Drawberry: Professional Superhero
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #4940
sam vimes
A real live wire
 
sam vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
People who were actually impacted by her actions or were at least old enough to be cognizant of her politics during her terms are welcome to hold any opinions on her they like and to make any criticisms they feel are warranted, including being glad to spit on her grave, even though I feel that's excessive from someone who may have been a shit politician but pretty assuredly was not a genocidal monster or something.

I am just tired of seeing these indignant opinions-- positive or negative-- being blabbed by people who were still giving each other cootie shots on the playground when Thatcher was in office.
Exactly. It would be like young conservatives cheering over Jimmy Carter's death...

I just foresaw something that's going to happen, didn't I?
__________________
Raising respectable and dignified ferrets since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #4941
penny_dreadful
la ctholita
 
penny_dreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 11,073
"If anything, Margaret Thatcher proved that women can be irl supervillains, too."

Okay, I guess I was wrong. Apparently she was a genocidal monster! Thanks for setting me straight, 20-something American!
__________________
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #4942
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I'm not on FB or Tumblr or Twitter, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there are ignorant Americans born in the 80's and 90's going, "She was a Conservative? I don't know anything about her but I automatically hate her!" That's why I'm not on FB or Tumblr or Twitter. The things I've read in NYT, the Economist, etc. have been pretty even-handed if not completely laudatory.
The funniest thing about that is she brought in policies which moved British conservatism such that it has a lot more in common with (US) Democrats than (US) Republicans nowadays.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #4943
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,063
An abortion bill is going through here in Kansas.

The article doesn't really mention it but there were protesters outside the capitol trying to convince the governor to veto the bill. I agree with their political position but that's fighting a losing battle. It's not going to be vetoed because it's fucking Brownback.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Anime NebrasKon: Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan) - Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) - Lapras (Pokemon Gijinka) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #4944
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
All I really know about her is that all the British bands I listened to in the 80's wrote songs about how much they hated her and how they were going to dance on her grave.
Don't know if the young'uns will appreciate this, but I found it both hilarious and strangely sweet.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...f-punk/n35542/
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #4945
sam vimes
A real live wire
 
sam vimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Don't know if the young'uns will appreciate this, but I found it both hilarious and strangely sweet.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...f-punk/n35542/
I appreciated it.
__________________
Raising respectable and dignified ferrets since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #4946
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I appreciated it.
I knew you would. I meant Bisected8 and fullbleed.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #4947
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I knew you would. I meant Bisected8 and fullbleed.
It's hard to say, since that clip apparently isn't suitable for British viewing.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #4948
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,096
How about these?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R0dMzq_XLIM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsbFcouT9WQ
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #4949
pinoycosplay
Fighting VG Specialist
 
pinoycosplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
I liked this one and it's ironically true punch line, "Will this in some small way make anyone safer? No"

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...d-open/n35538/
__________________
People say they like irony, but nobody wants to pay for it.
pinoycosplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #4950
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!
 
Bisected8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Ah, that was quite funny (spot on, in fact).
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.