Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 303 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #76
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.F.S. 1984 View Post
I wonder why people say that the United States has come so far from the days of Jim Crow and seperate but equal. I bet this opinion is unfortunately shared by more people than American society will admit.
Whats disappointing about this is that its a young women prob. in her early to mid twenties that's acting that way; and a undergrad at UCLA. Its sad that you could be college educated and young and still behave that way. But than again things like that are always out there.

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #77
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I wonder why people say that the United States has come so far from the days of Jim Crow and seperate but equal. I bet this opinion is unfortunately shared by more people than American society will admit.
Didn't view the link yet, but we damned well have come far from the days when FBI agents were klanned up and helping with cross burnings/lynchings/church bombings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #78
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Fact is, there's still a ton of racism in this country. And, you know, other countries. It's just not usually spoken about as openly now-- and when it is, it's usually widely decried, which I think is a good sign. What's a bad sign is that it's often much harder to recognize the institutionalized attitudes towards race that are still quite prevalent but not as overt as the attitude this sensitive young lady is demonstrating.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #79
Chipface
Master Ninja

Speaking of racists, apparently a neo-nazi group known as Combat 18 was supposed to have some kind of rally in my city on Saturday. A few anarchists and other activists showed up to counter them to only find two local white supremacists protesting fluoride in the drinking water. MSM story about it. And one of the protester's accounts of it. I would have gone but I ended up working the night before and had to work that night as well.

And anyone curious as to why the counter protesters masked up, neo-nazis tend to take pictures of those who oppose them so they can target them after an action. They even have 'redwatch' websites which index any information they can on anti-fascist activists.

Last edited by Chipface : 03-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Chipface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #80
Lithium Flower
Handphones

"My mom raised me to be a polite American girl....Now let me show you my titties"
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #81
A.F.S. 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Didn't view the link yet, but we damned well have come far from the days when FBI agents were klanned up and helping with cross burnings/lynchings/church bombings.
I think that there is a difference between what people want to see and the way things really are. Society wants to see race relations improving because it provides an intangible capital to all in that society. People feel good by endorsing an ideal that people no longer are treated differently on the basis of their race, nationality, gender or gender identity. The facts may be far from this endorsed ideal, and forces may be at work to blind people to the way things really are.

JIU JITSU is life.
A.F.S. 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #82
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I think that there is a difference between what people want to see and the way things really are. Society wants to see race relations improving because it provides an intangible capital to all in that society. People feel good by endorsing an ideal that people no longer are treated differently on the basis of their race, nationality, gender or gender identity. The facts may be far from this endorsed ideal, and forces may be at work to blind people to the way things really are.
What part of "the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering black people" don't you understand?

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #83
A.F.S. 1984

Quote:
What part of "the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering black people" don't you understand?
Maybe not in the overt way that things used to occur. But that which occured openly and with government endorsement in the past now occurs under a different guise. When you say that the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering people that would be a logical conclusion upon first examining the widely available information sources such as TV, the internet and the newspaper. But information that is not as widely known states that minorities, (including blacks) are over represented in the criminal justice system (death row included) in relation to the percentage they represent in the free population. Where society relied on unofficial actions such as lynchings to maintain a status quo in race relations back then it has now resorted to using the system to achieve that goal.

JIU JITSU is life.
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #84
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Maybe not in the overt way that things used to occur. But that which occured openly and with government endorsement in the past now occurs under a different guise. When you say that the federal government is no longer taking part in murdering people that would be a logical conclusion upon first examining the widely available information sources such as TV, the internet and the newspaper. But information that is not as widely known states that minorities, (including blacks) are over represented in the criminal justice system (death row included) in relation to the percentage they represent in the free population. Where society relied on unofficial actions such as lynchings to maintain a status quo in race relations back then it has now resorted to using the system to achieve that goal.
Point.

It's still the lesser of two evils, and it will hopefully continue to get better.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #85
A.F.S. 1984

Quote:
Point.

It's still the lesser of two evils, and it will hopefully continue to get better.
Agreed.

JIU JITSU is life.
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #86
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Agreed.
Well, given the psychological makeup of J. Edgar Hoover, the Justice Department's policies concerning black Americans was bound to improve when that fussbudget motherfucker was six feet under.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 03-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #87
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

As someone who is mixed race, female and old, I can attest to the fact that things have indeed gotten much better. One sign of progress is that this particular video is being widely ridiculed. UCLA officials released the standard statement of "This goes completely against all that we stand for (so any rich Asians out there, please keep sending your kids and money our way because the state of California is dead broke.)" Which, regardless of their motivation, is better than saying nothing or saying, "We stand firmly behind our student's first amendment right to be a douchebag!"

Nevertheless, it's also true that however much better things are now than they were 40, or even 20 years ago, they are still fucked up enough to be getting on with. There are still racists who claim that they are simply "pro-American" and misogynists and homophobes who claim they are just "pro-family".

Last edited by The Hag : 03-15-2011 at 08:26 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #88
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
"My mom raised me to be a polite American girl....Now let me show you my titties"
To be fair, it's probably the only way she can get people to listen to her in the first place.
Nathus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #89
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathus Dorkus View Post
To be fair, it's probably the only way she can get people to listen to her in the first place.
See it works the opposite for me.

"....And thats why the state of country is behind in both innovation and common sense..Boyfriend?"

"So....bouncy.......sorry what Emmers?"
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #90
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
See it works the opposite for me.

"....And thats why the state of country is behind in both innovation and common sense..Boyfriend?"

"So....bouncy.......sorry what Emmers?"
You must send your boyfriend to me and I will teach him to master the distraction of the breast.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.