Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Critique

Unread 03-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Poe's The Raven

I just remembered this site has a photo critique section xD

I'd like some critique on this photo I took of a friend who is dressed as her own interpretation of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. Any advice on how I can improve is greatly appreciated!

No editing was done to the photo except resizing.

Unread 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
LarkaChan
Larka

oohhh I actually designed a costume for the Poe's Raven. I have not made it yet, but I hope too when I get more of an income. Mine was much more costume-y then yours though.
On to critique!

I like how you took it as a more realistic them with a sort of..rocker concept. I enjoy the feathers, and the make-up is done well. From the picture it looks like the make up is clean precise. I think the leather jacket is a nice touch, especially with the softness of the feathers, and adds to the overall Gothic appeal. I would however like to see something to verify that it is indeed Poe's poem the raven, such as a book or something, because looking at it knowing the theme I get it, but to just see it without knowing I'd just think cool make-up and nifty jacket.
Cosplay- the art of bringing a character that some one has poured there heart into making to life, living and breathing, in a true heartfelt manor. And showcasing this to the fans, not for the attention- though it is nice- but for the light in their eyes when they see their favoite character walking down the street, or through convention walls.
LarkaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
roflwaffles
The Waffles are ROFLing!

I'm really an amateur at this, but i'll give it a shot. Your loosing some detail in the torso area since its almost all black. The left arm blends into the torso, which blends into the left leg, you cant really determine a shape from it. Maybe moving away from the corner a bit so the left arm can stretch out and elongate more.

What kind of atmosphere did you want to convey with this photo? Since its Edgar Allen Poe theme I would assume that you'd want to do something more brooding and dark. If that is the case you'd want to either use a flash to overcome the ambient light and make the scene darker, this would also help correct the under exposed torso areas too. Otherwise, move locations to somewhere more appropriate to the mood you want to convey like a exposed concrete parking garage or someplace gritty, with harsher shadows.

Hope this was useful, and sorry if it sounds too harsh.
roflwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Thank you both! Yeah, the location wasn't ideal, but we didn't really have a choice (and she wanted a stairwell shoot, so I though what the heck xD). I do have a couple more photos from this shoot that I did edit to have a darker contrast. I'll upload those and see if what I did in those is what you're suggesting, roflwaffles.

Oh, for the feathers and making her look more like the Raven: we didn't discover until the next few shots that her boa actually had little loops she could put her fingers through to give the impression of wings xD;
Unread 03-15-2011, 02:30 AM   #5
Rander

It's a good and interesting photo overall.

I agree with roflwaffles that you are loosing some detail in the torso area, so maybe try some off camera flash or bounce flash. You also change the pose a little bit by having her torso face the light source instead of away from it.

The background is interesting with the three different colors of the wall and floor, maybe next time take a picture in a tree/belltower to get more of the Raven feeling.

Lastly try cropping a little tighter/getting in closer; I'm not a fan of all the extra head space unless there was a specific reason for it.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Here are a couple more pics from this shoot. Still in the same location, but the second one I darkened and saturated more (I'm not too sure if I'm happy with it, but all I've got to work with is Microsoft Photo Editor -_-).

Rander: I left so much space at the top in the first picture because I thought it would give a more open, airy feel to keep it from feeling so closed in; birds don't like being closed in and whatnot [/badjoke]

I really do appreciate the input from you guys! I'm hoping she and I can do another shoot when we see each other again so I can try out different locations and lighting and such.
Unread 03-19-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
winterwish
Explosive Photographer!

bottom is a bit overprocessed in terms of saturation or strongly define your dark artistic effect whatever that is(like add texture, etc)

Winter Wish/Cosplay Photography:
http://winterwish.net

Upcoming Cons: Fanime, Anime Expo, Yaoicon
Willing to do shoots around the SF area via PM.
winterwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
levelsixtyseven

My favorite one is the first one on the second batch. I like the pose and the expression a lot!

However, the shoot as a whole I feel lacks because of location. The background doesn't really do the cosplayer justice. It doesn't enhance or make her black rockin' outfit pop out. Also lighting seems to be plain. I like the lighting better in the second set. But the first photo seems bleh. Need some zing!