Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #646
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

*headdesk* whyyyy, hadn't I thought of the library? Lol, I actually haven't been to a library for non-research purposed in ages. Feel free to laugh and call me a heathen.

BUT, it's all good because I get moneh on Wednesday. I can wait that long.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #647
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anuenue_mirage View Post
I'm reading Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. I think this is right up there with Stiff as her best books! Granted I haven't read Gulp, her newest, yet.
I liked Stiff a lot, but was really disappointed with Spook, so haven't read anything of hers....
I think her books are as good as their subject matter is awkward. Packing for mars and spook were interesting but lacked in entertainment. I can't say that bonk is any better than stiff (as i'm completely biased to stiff) but i enjoy it in a similar way

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #648
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuenue_mirage View Post
I think her books are as good as their subject matter is awkward. Packing for mars and spook were interesting but lacked in entertainment. I can't say that bonk is any better than stiff (as i'm completely biased to stiff) but i enjoy it in a similar way
What put me off of Spook was she started off saying that she was going to take a serious look at supposedly supernatural phenomena and examine them scientifically then almost immediately she started snarking about fake mediums and seances. Which - fine, but I wasn't interested in reading a book about obvious charlatans and gullible people. Tell me something I don't know. Which Stiff did - it was full of interesting stuff I didn't know about. Anyway - I didn't even bother to finish Spook. But since I did really liked Stiff, I should probably try some of her more recent things.

I just finished "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas" and "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl". I do this periodically - binge read about the Civil War and antebellum era until I become too depressed to move.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #649
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
What put me off of Spook was she started off saying that she was going to take a serious look at supposedly supernatural phenomena and examine them scientifically then almost immediately she started snarking about fake mediums and seances. Which - fine, but I wasn't interested in reading a book about obvious charlatans and gullible people. Tell me something I don't know. Which Stiff did - it was full of interesting stuff I didn't know about. Anyway - I didn't even bother to finish Spook. But since I did really liked Stiff, I should probably try some of her more recent things.

I just finished "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglas" and "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl". I do this periodically - binge read about the Civil War and antebellum era until I become too depressed to move.
Read the Autobiography of Harriet Tubman yet? How about "What Answer?" It's not a nonfiction book, but it was written in the mid 1800's and focuses about an interracial couple.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #650
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
Read the Autobiography of Harriet Tubman yet? How about "What Answer?" It's not a nonfiction book, but it was written in the mid 1800's and focuses about an interracial couple.
I have not. I hadn't heard of "What Answer?" I looked it up (it's available online from the Gutenburg Project) and it sounds interesting. I really liked Uncle Tom's Cabin - despite it's problematic aspects. Thanks for the tip!

I decided to read something from the Southern point of view, so I'm reading Mary Chestnut's journal. Surprisingly (to me anyway) she doesn't have much positive to say about antebellum culture. Good Lord, that woman had a scathing wit!
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #651
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
I have not. I hadn't heard of "What Answer?" I looked it up (it's available online from the Gutenburg Project) and it sounds interesting. I really liked Uncle Tom's Cabin - despite it's problematic aspects. Thanks for the tip!

I decided to read something from the Southern point of view, so I'm reading Mary Chestnut's journal. Surprisingly (to me anyway) she doesn't have much positive to say about antebellum culture. Good Lord, that woman had a scathing wit!
I haven't been able to read what answer yet myself. I read that the ending is a disappointment. However, to have a book on such a subject written at that time was unique. So Mary Chestnut is a lot like Dickens. He wrote about America in one of his books and it wasn't very nice too.
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #652
Joethehappydog
Uncalled for Man!

A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... It's hilarious!

My deviantArt: JoeyBizToast

お尻の筋肉を締め、ええ!

Working on:
-Nier (NieR Gestalt)
-Bigby Wolf (The Wolf Among Us)

Last edited by Joethehappydog : 10-27-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: *Galaxy
Joethehappydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #653
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Just finished Ides of April by Lindsey Davis and now starting on Vampirates by Justin Somper. I really like Lindsey Davis's work.
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #654
anuenue_mirage
Minarai-chan

Finished Bonk, now reading The drunkard's walk: how randomness rules our lives.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad
anuenue_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #655
Yurai
WCS Team Spain 2013

I am reading Inheritance from christopher paolini
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #656
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Reading Pearl Harbor Christmas. Really should have had a different title.
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #657
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I can't even remember how long ago I bought it, but I'm finally digging into The Weird, an anthology edited by Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, and there is some excellent material in there. As usual, several of the stories are things I've read in other anthologies, but there's enough that's new to me to make it engrossing, and lots of very quality authors.

It's got me thinking a lot about the intersection of horror fiction and weird fiction, and what qualifies a piece as one or the other or both, and what draws me to weirdness moreso than horror.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #658
Hello Goodbye

I'm almost done with "Riders on the Storm". It is John Densmore's (the drummer for the Doors) memoir about being in the band and working with Jim Morrison. It's amazing! I'm a total sucker for memoirs/biographies/autobiographies and stuff about the classic rock scene and this is one of the best I have ever encountered. The really cool part is that he didn't use a ghost writer to help him, so it is all in John's own words and I quite like that. It also has 4 nice sections of pictures. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes the Doors, music, or interesting life stories. I love it!
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)
Hello Goodbye is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #659
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Under the never sky -- why do post end of the world stuff all follow the same formula now.
Ides of April -- Really like Lindsay Davis
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:21 AM   #660
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Just finished Midnight Rising about John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry. After all the Civil War stuff, I wanted something more cheery so now I'm reading The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer.

Last edited by The Hag : 12-12-2013 at 05:44 AM.