Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Deathnotefan199

How far would you go to perfect your crossplay?

How far would you go to make your crossplay absolutely perfect? Would you stop shaving (for girls) or start shaving (for guys)? Have you ever really, seriously considered a breast reduction or sex change?

I'm new to Deviantart: http://matbroome1996.deviantart.com/
Deathnotefan199 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
PoodleBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathnotefan199 View Post
How far would you go to make your crossplay absolutely perfect? Would you stop shaving (for girls) or start shaving (for guys)? Have you ever really, seriously considered a breast reduction or sex change?
WOW. Well shaving is a basic thing for me to help with my crossplaying (M > F). But a sex change?? Seriously, if you feel you need a sex change operation just for the sake of better crossplay then you have some serious issues. If you feel you need sex change surgery, it better be because you truly are caught in the body of the opposite gender and need to identify as the sex you want the surgery to make you. And even if you did have the surgery, then you would no longer be crossplaying, now would you?
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Juka

Quote:
Have you ever really, seriously considered a breast reduction or sex change?
Hey, it's kinda popular! I mean, not doing it only for looking good in costume, but some people, who start crossplay, decide to change sex. And sometimes you can realize - wow, I feel better, that's real me!
Juka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
tsunderoid
burning shounen spirit

Yeahhh getting a sex change solely for the sake of crossplay is insane and I hope no one would ever do that, but it's worth noting that, afaik, you cannot get hormones or sex reassignment surgery without a lot of therapy to affirm that you are actually transsexual, so someone who wants to change their entire body and become a marginalized minority just to make a better cartoon character probably wouldn't meet the requirements.
tsunderoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Ritsu H Saotome
Fail Shadow Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunderoid View Post
Yeahhh getting a sex change solely for the sake of crossplay is insane and I hope no one would ever do that, but it's worth noting that, afaik, you cannot get hormones or sex reassignment surgery without a lot of therapy to affirm that you are actually transsexual, so someone who wants to change their entire body and become a marginalized minority just to make a better cartoon character probably wouldn't meet the requirements.
I take this offense of this statement. (Hint: I am a MtF transsexual)
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

I'm transsexual and I don't see what's offensive about that.

Even considering getting a "sex change" for cosplay is really, really stupid. I can understand if someone has strong feeling about gender identity AND is into cosplay, but thinking about something that life-changing just to make some costumes maybe a little better is stupid. You'd do better to spend those tens of thousands of dollars on makeup and prosthetics - you could easily buy a Hollywood-quality (think Pan's Labyrinth or Hellboy, that level of quality) full character latex set for less.

And you *can't*, or at least shouldn't be taking hormones are getting surgery without medical supervision. No one is going to let someone go through that just to look possibly better in a costume unless they're beyond hella shady - and why would you want that person cutting you open if they don't even have basic judgement and ethic skills ?

On one hand, I see the argument that an adult should be able to do whatever they want with their body. On the other, there are many troubled people who would be better served that fulfilling a fantasy that will go sour and terribly wrong for them.

Transsexuals ARE a marginalised minority. I don't think that's offensive to say, just the truth - saying the situation is better than it is would not do justice to the struggle of the people living it. No one gives a shit and most people don't even understand what the word means. There are tons of people on HERE that prove that.

Discovering yourself through cosplay is different and I think that's great if it helps people express themselves.

I would never go "far" for any costume. I would only do what I wanted.

For anime and manga cosplay, not shaving for girls can just look bad - since often the character wasn't depicted with body hair, anyway. Not to mention, female body hair looks FEMALE and is actually a "give-away".

Shaving for guys should just be part of the costume. It hurts nothing and it grows back. Unless the girl is supposed to be hairy - why wouldn't you ? If you can get away without it, sure, don't bother - but if you need to.... why wouldn't you ? It's kind of like binding for girls - it's not overly-difficult or painful if done right and is necessary to create a "realistic" impression if that's what you're going for.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Ritsu H Saotome
Fail Shadow Photographer

My last post here was tongue and cheek.
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
Deathnotefan199

um... this isn't a 'serious' topic (I mean its not like I'm considering doing any of this) its just that I have heard people talk about how they even considered some of these things to make their cosplay 'better'.

Just don't bite peoples heads off, please.

I'm new to Deviantart: http://matbroome1996.deviantart.com/
Deathnotefan199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
Kelley
Devil of Details

It's hard to tell if people are being serious or not if they don't indicate it. The internet lacks vocal inflections so if I don't know a person very well, how do I know they're kidding ?

And the idea that someone has "really, seriously" considered a sex change for cosplay is, I'm sorry, very poor wording. ._.;; When I came into this thread, that's what people were already focusing on. You are new to this forum, so we don't have an idea of your personality and if this is a joke or not, so I just took you for your word because I've heard worse that wasn't a joke.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Majiran
Material Merchant

In the case of permanent physical change like surgery or hormones, I really think the people talking about seriously doing it would be thinking of the cosplay benefits as a perk- not the main motivation. I've heard girls talk about how they could cosplay better with a boob job, but of course they don't mean they'd get breast implants solely to look more like an anime character on the weekends; it's a culmination of multiple reasons.

Yes, I seriously intend to have a double mastectomy and yes, I have thought "sweet! no binder/able to go shirtless at conventions!" but on my list of reasons for actually doing so, cosplay is nothing more than an afterthought.
Majiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Have you ever really, seriously considered a breast reduction or sex change?
this comment is what made me give up on trying to explain it to my family -_-
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
Fufynovae
Seranaide

uhnmmm no °_° that would be a little too much. I think that a crossplay is a great crossplay when the girl or the boy looks,respectively,very feminine and or very masculine in her/his normal clothes. Personally,I would be more amazed seeing a feminine girl achieving the look of a masculine boy,or the opposite. But that's just my opinion xD"

And lol,why reducing breasts when you can hide them with binders? °w°
Fufynovae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Jentress
^__^

Binders are great.. but having a *smaller* breast size would make it easier (at least for me) to do open-shirt binding.
I've not considered breast-reduction surgery for crossplay. I've thought about it for other reasons and waaaay before I was even into cosplay in general.
I agree with most of what's been said already.
Doing something like that simply for crossplay seems a little too drastic, imo.
I've seen a good number of naturally feminine looking females pass for a masculine character.
Also, I've been mistaken for a guy while in costume.. I <3 that. ^_^

W.I.P. cosplays
~ Rangiku Matsumoto (school outfit) -Bleach ~ (95%)
~ Spirit -Soul Eater ~ (complete!)

-planned-
~ Spike Cowboy Bebop~
~ Allen Walker (crown clown) D.Gray Man~
~ Mugetsu -Bleach~
~ Ulquiorra -Bleach ~
Jentress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #14
Dengeki-kun
Herp to the Derp

How far would I go? Here it is. By the way, link is NSFW

http://www.femskin.com/

"Your voice is getting in the way of me telling you to shut up..." -Ikki Takeda

Last edited by Dengeki-kun : 03-22-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Dengeki-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

You may wish to note that that link is Not Safe For Work.
Nathus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote