Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action) > Harry Potter

Unread 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Roseclear

Harry Potter robes - comparison?

Hi everyone!

I'm not new to costuming or this page - in fact, hopefully soon I'll be getting my account page set up here so we can all get to know each other better. But I'm coming here right after I've gotten around to registering so I can ask a question for a friend's benefit. I haven't the slightest personal experience on this - my first and only HP costume was a good while back! - and so I thought I'd come ask the veterans here.

When looking for screen accurate Harry Potter robes (and sweaters, at that), which would be considered the better source: Whimsicalley or the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? I know that Whimsicalley (Whimsical Alley, if that's more correct!) has been around for a good while and offers some great work. But I'm not familiar with the Wizarding World merchandise, nor do I know of anyone who owns a set for comparison.

Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Roseclear : 03-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Roseclear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Tonksie

I have been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (SO FREAKING AWESOME), and considered buying the robes there. I came home and went to the Whimsic Alley store, and I am so glad that I didn't buy the WWHP robes. The WWHP robes are extremely thin. They're made of broadcloth cotton and the colored lining extends only ~3" into the robe, and are serged, while the rest is unlined. They look costume-y. The WA robes have a really nice weight to them, they're fully lined and come with a wand pocket on the inside, which rocks.

They're about $30 more expensive, but the quality difference is huge.

Oh, the WA Hufflepuff accent color is not a bright yellow, but more of a deli-mustard color. I believe the WWHP Hufflepuff was more of a bright yellow (I could be wrong, I'm Ravenclaw, so I didn't really pay attention).

I tried on the WA sweaters and they were also good quality (they didn't have my size otherwise, I would've bought it). They did itch a little bit though, being of that kind of rough wool fabric. Definitely glad the uniform incorporates a shirt.
Tonksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
Ali
Nearsighted Avenger

I didn't like the Wizarding World of Harry Potter robes very much, due to the colors and the fabric choice for the black, but they are very nearly screen accurate otherwise. They have a wand pocket, and the robes in the actual film only have the colored lining as a facing (the back of the robe is unlined) which I did not realize until I saw the costumes on the touring exhibition.

I haven't seen much of the Whimsic Alley robes, but I like their sweaters very much, and their things tend to coordinate colors quite a bit better than the park merchandise.