Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
RaeDawg

How to make a wig stand?

I just got my wig and the store didn't have any wig heads/stands to put the wig on and we aren't a very wealthy family as it is, so I am wondering how to make a wig head. I've searched the internet but I can't find anything.
RaeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
LittleKagsin

You can search other stores for wig heads. I'm not sure where you are, but Sally's beauty has some, and Hobby Lobby as well. You can also order them online from ebay or amphigory. =^^=
For my wig stand, I was lucky because I had someone who's considered 'handy' around. He made a square base out of 2X4's, using wood glue to glue them together. Then drilled a hole in the center, just enough for a copper rod to fit in it and gluing it in place. He then cut off the end of a dowel and sanded it down so that a wig head would sit securely on it, screwing the dowel into the copper rod.
Later I glued weights onto the bottom of the wood base because I've got some heavy wigs. =^^=
Sorry that was kinda long-winded..but if you have any friends who like to create things like that you can ask for help. Maybe, if you can't afford to buy any of it, go to home improvement stores and ask about scraps. They might have some pieces they can't sell, or can give you a really good discount on. Good luck! =^^=

2011 Cosplays:
Super Alice (remake) - 0%
(surprise) - 20%
Steampunk Harley - 2%

Bayonetta - 25%
Catwoman - 40%
LittleKagsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
RaeDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKagsin View Post
You can search other stores for wig heads. I'm not sure where you are, but Sally's beauty has some, and Hobby Lobby as well. You can also order them online from ebay or amphigory. =^^=
Thanks! I'm actually going to ask my mom if I can open an ebay account through her name so I can buy one and more wigs, currently I have to deal with cheap ones.

But I'm going to look around the house and try and make one
RaeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
FeyMeggan

If you want to make a wig stand just to hold the wig you can do a few things at home. One, if you have a balloon and some form of packing tape you can blow up the balloon, cover it in packing tape and it should hold the wig. Tape this to a small, sturdy mug or cup and it'll be fairly stationary for basic styling needs. HOWEVER do NOT use pins to hold the wig on, lol, otherwise you'll blow your balloon stand up.

Sanity Check
Costume list 2009: Finished 17 initially planned :: 15 completed :: 6 moved to next year
Costume list 2010: Started 6 from '09 :: 9 initially planned, now up to 22 total
FeyMeggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
pltshp
i did what i have to do

I used my lamp at first... I don't recommend it! The lampy bit wasn't big enough for the wig. I actually couldn't style the wig using it properly so I bought a cheap stand off eBay, haha.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

There is a tutorial on YouTube on how to make them, but I'm not sure how well this idea actually works (I've never actually tried it myself, yet ^^;
Here's the link to a home made wig head tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7W6I...eature=related

If your wig is longer, or heavier, I don't think this tutorial would work, though, as I don't think a wig head made this way would provide enough support. It seems to be a good idea for shorter wigs, though.

If you'd rather purchase one, Sally's Beauty supply sells them(well.. the heads, anyway) for $3.99, which is the cheapest price I know of, except for maybe Ebay. If there isn't a Sally's near you, you can buy one online for what it costs in the store. They're also sold on Amazon, but they cost a few dollars more there.
Unread 03-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
NeonSkylight

I say just go looking around at various stores, thats how i got mine
NeonSkylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
hellothuyvi

For me I use a 3 liter bottle as a wig head if I'm desperate. I usually cut off the the knob at the top with a knife and just place the wig on.
hellothuyvi is offline   Reply With Quote