Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 113 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 10-29-2003, 06:15 PM   #16
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
The only questions that arise are- How well will the wings collapse when relaxed?
The balmung wings collapsed surprisingly well. The wires and strings were placed where they were with that in mind...all of the feathers overlapped.

The Clover wings took a bit of manipulation. The fishline that attatches them together connects them from the back of one feather to the front of another. Its true they have gotten caught when retracting, but if you lean foreward slightly, since they're at an angle, they fold into place just as they should. (this is very hard to explain in words... the angle the wing is at to my back allows for the feathers to line downwards when I lean forward: (the ... lines are hypothetical. It wouldn't let me post that many spaces. -.-
\ ................../
| \.............../ |
| | \.........../ | |
..| | \____/ | |
....|............|....
)

Quote:
I also noticed that your wings are fixed perpendicularly to your back obscuring them unless a sideview or 1/4 shot is used. I realise this serves the purpose of being accurate to Balmung's design and facilitates getting through doors and such, but do you think it possible to allow the wings lateral (I dunno if this is the actual term) movement so they show up in front views?
The Balmung wings are, yes, because of his design. And, actually, they are angled just slightly. The Clover wings are angled much more...
the design of the back support plate is a little different for them. The metal peices that stick out with the holes are mounted from the side as opposed to the back. That allowed for a 45 degree angle without loosing any of the structure. So it was realistic, and well viewable from all angles. That, however, placed the wings in very un-winglike places on my back.

The metal was welded like so:

\__ And then placed on the edge of the backplate like so:

\___________/
|__________|
Backplate

As opposed to the Balmung wings which were more like this:
__|____|___
|_________|

The angle is completely at the discretion of the cosplayer...^^

(note: I can't find the digital camera, or this would have been a lot easier to explain. ^^

Quote:
I also found it interesting that you matched the wing "frame" length to your own arm length.
I did? o.o That might have been accidental, if I did. Or I'm not quite getting what you mean. ^^;

You brought up really good questions...thanks a lot for your post!
^_^
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-29-2003, 06:24 PM   #17
Saeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oselle
Excellent wing tutorial!

I'm currently working on a set of dragon wings for a project, and instead of using wood, I'm using aluminum. It's lightweight, strong, and you can find it at most large hardware stores. I actually got some strips meant for covering tile, you can also find aluminum roofing trim or door trim, that works well too.

Oh, yes!
Thats the stuff my dad has in the garage.
Thankyou for mentioning it. ^^
Unread 10-29-2003, 08:58 PM   #18
Kusanagi
Pimp of the Caribbean

I'm currently working on a new version of my dragoon armor and I am making 3 part collapsable wings for it that fold into the back to facilitate with doors and the like. I'll definately let you know how they turn out!

Plus, its remarkable to see how you figured this stuff out. Not many people think that cosplay can involve engineering, and I go out of my way to find costumes that involve alot ^_^

"Superman is great. He can spout off something about quantum physics, fly three times around a tree in Guam, and a black hole opens and swallows up the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse." - Pretearwink
Kusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2003, 08:07 PM   #19
*Jibrielle*
彡☆WEEEE☆彡

OMG I love you thanks for posting this ^_^
Unread 11-02-2003, 01:59 AM   #20
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Yay, you finally posted this. ^o^ (Are you not counting the Krad wings for some reason, tho...?)

Looking forward to seeing many more pretty fire hazards in the crowded hallways next con season. ^_-
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2003, 10:48 AM   #21
Saeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusanagi
I'm currently working on a new version of my dragoon armor and I am making 3 part collapsable wings for it that fold into the back to facilitate with doors and the like. I'll definately let you know how they turn out!
I can't wait to see them. ^^

Quote:
Plus, its remarkable to see how you figured this stuff out. Not many people think that cosplay can involve engineering, and I go out of my way to find costumes that involve alot ^_^
I really agree. ^^ I suppose, in my mind...the costumes themselves arent always that difficult. They take a lot of time, yes, and a lot of altering, but with enough dedicated effort, people can make good costumes. (I say not always because I've never had issues with the cloth parts of stuff. Its always the accessories that seem to take the extra effort from people.) The engineering aspect of it tends to involve a little more thinking, and a lot more planning. Which is why they're so fun to see!

Jibrielle: You're quite welcome. ^^
Unread 11-25-2003, 05:36 AM   #22
Saeru

A sort of a bump, ne?
Unread 11-25-2003, 05:37 PM   #23
SquishedFlower
Orangina drinking fiend

Unhappy feathery wings eeeeee!

ehAh I need to make these wings (look at pickie) It has been frusterating me for a while, the wings need to start out small and then get bigger, They dont need to move, and they dont have to be too big, I just have noo idea what so ever on how to make them, I also need to figure out how to make an unseen eing corset for the wings to go on the outfit is really open in the front so I have absolutly no idea -_- ' please help me! I have a long time to work on this but i want to make sure I get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XS24.jpg (31.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg x_screen001.jpg (72.4 KB, 15 views)
SquishedFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 02:12 AM   #24
Saeru

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=1
This was what I came up with when I looked at the picture. It depends on whether you're wanting to use real feathers or not...but there are two possibilities...one with real feathers, the other with something like cardboard. For real feathers...two blades would work, with a string between holding the feathers. The shoulder harness should be invisible under the outfit.
I'd suggest aluminum sheets for making the "cross" support on the back, because you can bend them to fit you, if you need to.
This design is what I would do...I can't guarantee that it would work, but I would bet that it would. ^^ Good luck.
Unread 11-26-2003, 04:21 PM   #25
SquishedFlower
Orangina drinking fiend

Yes, I would defidently like to use real feathers, thank you very much this has helped me very much, I am still not exactly sure on how to make them but I am sure i can figure it out from here! This is my first set of wings so I am realy nervous this is a pricey costume in general so I really dont want to mess up! Thanks ^_^
SquishedFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 06:10 PM   #26
Nietsche
Have a SUPER good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeru
You brought up really good questions...thanks a lot for your post!
^_^
You're welcome!
It's been quite a conundrum all this wing making! It's baffled me ever since someone suggest that I do Raphael from Tenshi ni Narumon...so yeah I gotta make just one wing!

Some small info on pandas- Eats, shoots and leaves!
(this is an excellent book btw)
The difference a little punctuation makes!
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2003, 09:22 PM   #27
Saeru

squished: It isn't a problem. ^^ Actually, using real feathers on that design would be really do-able...since her wings have such a layered look. The planks could be wood...or, since feathers are so light...you might even get away with foam core.

Niet: Just one? o.o that'd be hard to keep up and balanced. Though the Sephiroth at Expo did quite a wonderful job. Made me jealous, really, since my wings never looked as good as his. (though his didn't move, so I felt a little justified) Wings are...so...nice....;_;
Unread 01-04-2004, 02:04 AM   #28
Armorfiend

EDIT: (to reflect current whimsy)
I've decided to try building wings. Or at least, parts of them, however much I can get done in the next six months.
I've been staring at bird bones all day. I've got somewhat of an idea, but I haven't done any experimenting yet.

Must... Steal... Straws... from... PX! (Pins and straws for a scale model.)

I was watching National Geographic the other day and it gave me an idea for a vast, time-consuming way of producing really long feathers. I can't recall the name for the process, I think it's called 'imping'. But basically, it's used by raptor owners to repair broken feathers. The broken end is cut cleanly, a short shaft (generally wood) is inserted into the hollow tube of the feather, glued into place, and then an appropriate feather from the owner's stock is cut to match the missing bit of the broken feather, and glued over the shaft.
This works because once the feathers have matured, they have a hollow core. Afterwards, the area of the join is dusted with talcum powder to ensure that the glue doesn't stick to anything else.

So what I'm thinking is, this process could be used to create feathers of considerable length. Simply take the flight feathers, cut probably the last third of it off, where it narrows, and take the base 2/3 that should be of a more-or-less uniform width, and attatch it to the next feather.

I'm going to get some feathers shipped out here and give it a try. The only problem would be that this gives you very long and skinny feathers; the longer the feather becomes, the narrower it will look. A three-inch wide, foot long feather looks pretty wide; a three-inch wide, three-foot long feather will look pretty narrow by comparison...

Last edited by Armorfiend : 01-04-2004 at 07:41 AM.
Armorfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2004, 11:58 PM   #29
AlikNyankoChan
Sanretsu Mitsukai.

(The largest bird that ever flew had a wingspan of 25 feet and it's primaries were 5 feet in length. It weighed 171 pounds...but it's extinct. It did fly, though.)

I think those feathers you're suggesting would end up looking too disporportionate for a costume...If I wanted big feathers, I'd go with a carved foam, or fabric.

I'm just going to go with the method of hot gluing my 5 pounds of feathers to the frame, since I'm not quite crazy enough to sew them all down ^^;;;

Angel wings can't do anything but extend up...I guess they have a limited ball joint at the base, but the basic concept...it just doesn't seem to work. Yeah, looking at bird books as well for the last few months and working on usable designs.

What fabric should I be using as a base? I want it to be as light as possible, but the feathers and hotglue still stick well to it. And it not deteriorate over time, and not sag under the weight of all the feathers ^^;;

~Alik-Nyanko

Last edited by AlikNyankoChan : 01-05-2004 at 12:02 AM.
AlikNyankoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2004, 01:08 AM   #30
A J
sets ovens on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorfiend
The only problem would be that this gives you very long and skinny feathers; the longer the feather becomes, the narrower it will look. A three-inch wide, foot long feather looks pretty wide; a three-inch wide, three-foot long feather will look pretty narrow by comparison...
My friends and I did something similar to create really long (3-4 feet) feathers for our Wish wings. It actually looks pretty ok, but we were going for angel wings, not bird wings, and who's gonna tell us that it's not accurate? We did it by gluing feathers on top of each other. The only problem is that there is a slight curve to the feathers so as you add more, the long feathers do this funky curling thing.

If you want to see what the tail feathers looked like:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=3

Uh... diregard the actual content of the photo. LOL. It's very not-in-character.