Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 133 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 01-07-2004, 04:22 AM   #31
Armorfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J
My friends and I did something similar to create really long (3-4 feet) feathers for our Wish wings. It actually looks pretty ok, but we were going for angel wings, not bird wings, and who's gonna tell us that it's not accurate? We did it by gluing feathers on top of each other. The only problem is that there is a slight curve to the feathers so as you add more, the long feathers do this funky curling thing.

If you want to see what the tail feathers looked like:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto....t=500 &page=3

Uh... diregard the actual content of the photo. LOL. It's very not-in-character.
Hmm... I believe I could eliminate the curling effect by running the rod down the center of the feather.
I've been thinking about it; the feathers wouldn't have to be more than 2 feet or so long, which if I use white turkey primaries wouldn't look too bad. That calls for, however, approximately 500 feathers. (250 left, 250 right) minimum. Plus assorted smaller feathers to do the leading edge and elbow/wrist. This will allow 70 doubly-extended feathers on each side to be covered with a second layer of non-extended feathers. (210 feathers each side so far) If it looks like it calls for it, the final set of feathers can be extended a third time for additional length. Approximate weight of the feathers: 2-3 pounds.

This unfortunately also calls for 140 to 160 FEET of very narrow (1/8th inch) dowel rod. Approximate weight (owing to its narrow diameter) is only 3-5 pounds.

I want to use aluminum for the skeleton. Don't have an approximate weight for that yet.
On the up shot I've found a local shop I may be able to use for the wood/metal work. Down side, no local availability of fabric/sewing materials.

I have BUKU time on my hands here. If I can get the materials together, I'll glue and sew everything individually. If I can get it.

...As far as foam feathers go; they just don't look real, you know?

Unread 01-07-2004, 06:10 PM   #32
AlikNyankoChan
Sanretsu Mitsukai.

Foam will never look as good as actual feathers, agreed.

http://www.rainbowfeatherco.com/FeathersFrame.htm
Do you mean "wing rounds"? as the primaries? Those have quite a curve. You might have to cut a bit off to make your idea work(I like the idea ^^).

~Alik-Nyanko

Digi Charat - Rabi~en~rose Illustration Style
Digi Charat - Rabi~en~rose mockup

Next Cons:

New York Anime Festival
Anime Boston
AlikNyankoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2004, 06:00 AM   #33
Armorfiend

Actually, I was going to use pointers. Thus the importance of getting an equal number of right and left side feathers.

I haven't been able to play with my pet birds in a while so I'm not positive if the wings have a significant number of symmetrical feathers on them, but the ones that make up the flight surfaces are all asymmetrical, so it'd be good enough for government work
Unread 11-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #34
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Back! *looks around* I think I'm going to have to add some better pictures on here.
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:56 AM   #35
Saeru

ALRIGHT. Now that I have a GOOD digital camera...lets see if I can't add some photos that AREN'T drawings! Also, expect new in-progress shots of the wings I'm going to be making for Acen.
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #36
Saeru

Ha! Drug out the old wings and posted the pictures. Man, they're a little worse for the wear, but...they still function!
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:06 AM   #37
cibonibo
Silicon...

A very nice tutorial. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future.

Those bolts you used are a type of joint (connector) bolts. I'm using them in my robot hand in progress.
cibonibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #38
RevGirl
The Kitty Witch

0_0 hats off to you. I suggest that with some of the tutorial pics that you make the red font a bit clearer, I can't quite read it, it's a bit fuzzy. Look pretty good too, it's an understatement to say I'm impressed. I'm making my first pair of large, angel wings. My ideas are quite different: I'm making use of copper tubing, craft foam and feathers, with the wings sliding into slots on my harness. Reading through this again more thoroughly and after I make my wings on my own I'd be interested to put it into practice. Thanks ^_^

(a black rose saga ballad)

"Ninty-nine rose duelists dead on the wall
Ninty-nine rose duelists dead.
You take the ring out and shove the corpse down
Ninty-eight rose duelists dead on the wall."

I claimed Hyuuga Neji from Naruto in the Claim an Anime Character Thread!
RevGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #39
Saeru

Cibonibo: Joint connector bolts...they're really quite handy. The place that I buy them from, they come unpackaged, so no one's ever been able to tell me before. Thanks. ^.^

Revgirl: I -really- wish I could do something about that font. If I had known it would become that fuzzy in compression, I wouldn't have compressed it. But I saved over the original pictures, so the bad ones are the only ones I've got. Thats why I referenced those as URLs, and wrote the red in the description. I do wish it were more clear, though.
After you get yours done, you should post your tips!
Unread 01-26-2006, 02:04 AM   #40
cyankirby
I'm coming for you...

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! It has been much help... Do you have any suggestions/tips for wings that are vertical (I'm making a griffon-will be on all 4's hence the vertical wings). I haven't actually started the wings but I have a feeling that they will have to be fairly durable and use a strong base material. Again thanks so much for the tutorial.
Your Balmung looks great btw! Wish I could've gotten a pic with you with my Mia cosplay... Balmungs are so scarce...
Fubar (Suikoden III) - Finished
Warcraft costume TBA - In Progress
Serina (Magna Carta) - In Progress
Oki (Wolf form) (Okami) - In Progress
Dryad/centaur (World of Warcraft) - Finished
cyankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:48 PM   #41
Saeru

Cyankirby: A pair of wings that I made(that I completely forgot that I made) using the same techniques were worn by a girl at Acen 03, who for posing would often lie stomach first on the ground. They held up perfectly well for it, so I'd think they ought to work for what you're wanting to do, also. ^.^
Best suggestions are to use as light of materials as you can the further away you get from your body, and as strong as you can the closer you get. You'll see as you work what can and cant be done. ^.^
*goes off to find pictures of those other wings*
Unread 01-27-2006, 12:33 AM   #42
Saeru

Alright! I added some pictures of the red wings, in their 'upright' position, also. ^.^

Edit: Ok, so I lied. It won't let me add any more info due to length. -.- Silly post. But here is what I wrote:

These wing designs to also tend to work well if one needs vertical wings(such as for a pegasus, or for lying on the ground), so long as the support on the back is STRONG, and I'd suggest longer metal angles to give more strength to the connection. Here are some pictures of a pair I constructed(rather hastily) a few years ago, that held up well under movement from a lot of different angles

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=138623

Last edited by Saeru : 01-27-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Unread 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM   #43
cyankirby
I'm coming for you...

Thanks a lot! I think that info will come in handy... I still haven't started them but I got some materials that I think will work for the wings. Heh heh I may have some questions later... But thank you so much for posting this thread!!!!
Fubar (Suikoden III) - Finished
Warcraft costume TBA - In Progress
Serina (Magna Carta) - In Progress
Oki (Wolf form) (Okami) - In Progress
Dryad/centaur (World of Warcraft) - Finished
cyankirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2006, 12:46 AM   #44
Saeru

Its no problem at all! Best of luck to you! ^.^
Unread 02-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #45
IamCozplayah
Cha-ching!

Awesome designing skillz, I'm really lazy though so I'm gonna make stationary folded up wings.
IamCozplayah is offline   Reply With Quote