Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 133 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #61
Saeru
What is life w/o meaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiki-dono View Post
If anyone wants to see the progress on my wings, check out my photo gallery for Dark Mousy
Very neat! ^.^ You obviously spent a good time looking into that movement. o.o Looks like it will be a pretty impressive wingspan when completed, too.
Saeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM   #62
Saeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsis View Post
I didn't run through all the links just yet (or read all the post yet to be honest *sweatdrop*), but I was wondering if you did moving fairy wings. Cause I'm trying to cosplay as Sugar and Pepper from the anime A Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, and their wings are pretty basic, so I was thinking of trying to make them move. Any help?
Can you show me a picture of what you're trying to do? I'm sure that it can be done very basically.
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #63
Saeru

>.> Erf. Sorry about that. I'll combine all those answers next time.
Unread 05-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #64
Ramsis

http://pantransit.reptiles.org/image.../iklesugar.jpg
http://images.minitokyo.net:8001/view/37405.jpg

Their the most basic of fairy wings, standard oval shape. The wings are the exact same on both Sugar (the white fairy) and Pepper (the green fairy).
Unread 05-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #65
Kat Murz
Last Manitoban Pirate

yay, this is awsome. I have a question, do you think that I could convert the tutorial to work some how for my Abel Nightlord wings, and does anyone have any good suggestions on what to make them out of?? Their kind of mechanical looking like the clover...but more complicated cause its trinity blood and thores, who's nuts with details >.<

Ref pic: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...kat/28_491.jpg
~ Ai-kon
~ Otakuthon
~ Central Canadian Comic Con

Check me out for tutorials, con reviews and more at:: Nomadic-Goldfish Cosplay on Facebook
Kat Murz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2007, 05:52 AM   #66
Berenice
-NaruSakuHina-

Oh my gosh...

That's so cool!

*studies it*

Oh yeah, clarification:

So you only pull ONE string (that wire thing) to make the whole thing move,
And the whole thing moves because all the other small pieces of "wing feathers" are attached to the big wing?

Last edited by Berenice : 05-21-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Berenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #67
chiugi

could you please briefly explain how to make the "box" which the wings attached to .

thank you ~
chiugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #68
Saeru

My, this thread has been active of late. o.o I've had to re-read my own tutorial, since its been so long since I made a pair. ^.^ I can see where a good deal of what I'm saying is confusing, and it looks like its time for a good reworking of this thread. But until then, I'll try and answer some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsis View Post
http://pantransit.reptiles.org/image.../iklesugar.jpg
http://images.minitokyo.net:8001/view/37405.jpg

Their the most basic of fairy wings, standard oval shape. The wings are the exact same on both Sugar (the white fairy) and Pepper (the green fairy).
Would you like to be able to control their movement, or would you like them to just sort of flow around on their own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Murz View Post
yay, this is awsome. I have a question, do you think that I could convert the tutorial to work some how for my Abel Nightlord wings, and does anyone have any good suggestions on what to make them out of?? Their kind of mechanical looking like the clover...but more complicated cause its trinity blood and thores, who's nuts with details >.<

Ref pic: http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...kat/28_491.jpg
As silly as this sounds, I would get some PVC pipe from your local hardware store, soak it in very hot water, and then bend it into shape, for the basic frame. I would then use some sort of plastic sheeting to make the individual feathers, although you might want to go with something more rigid, that doesn't flex(I can't think of anything off the top of my head right now besides basic things like cardboard or foam core, but if I do, I'll let you know). Stick with LIGHT materials, as that looks like it could get heavy, fast. o.o For the organic-y bits, my good friend Yui used wrapped pipe-cleaners and hot-glue to make her Nightmare Sword, which has a very similar effect, and is more lightweight than using, say, wire. These are just my initial thoughts on the subject...I'd probably end up editing them as I went along, if I were making it. As far as making them move...I don't see why not. ^.^ Just be careful where you place your pivot points, with something that massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenice View Post
Oh my gosh...

That's so cool!

*studies it*

Oh yeah, clarification:

So you only pull ONE string (that wire thing) to make the whole thing move,
And the whole thing moves because all the other small pieces of "wing feathers" are attached to the big wing?
This is correct. Since all the other strings are connected to the part of the frame that moves, when you pull the string that moves the frame around the pivot, all the other strings(with feathers) move as well. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiugi View Post
could you please briefly explain how to make the "box" which the wings attached to .

thank you ~
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, sorry. ^.^; Do you mean the wing frame, itself, or do you mean the harness?
Unread 05-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #69
Kat Murz
Last Manitoban Pirate

awsome!! Thanks for the tips! You Rock major!! ^__^
~ Ai-kon
~ Otakuthon
~ Central Canadian Comic Con

Check me out for tutorials, con reviews and more at:: Nomadic-Goldfish Cosplay on Facebook
Kat Murz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #70
lisboneyes

AJ-

I loved the qoute-

''My friends and I did something similar to create really long (3-4 feet) feathers for our Wish wings. It actually looks pretty ok, but we were going for angel wings, not bird wings, and who's gonna tell us that it's not accurate?''

That was excellent. How did your project come to look so far? I assisted a friend for this years ACEN in IL for his Devil Jin. Someone else made his wings and I wish we could have found this wing tutorial in time. oh well, on with the show...
lisboneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #71
djkidna
HENSHIN!

New update, video that shows my wings working (not very well, I ran into a difficulty with the right wing pre stage show)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ywi-SoHajQo
  • Nago - Kamen Rider Kiva
  • D-Yuuto - Kamen Rider Den-O
  • Date - Kamen Rider OOO
  • Hell Yaguruma - Kamen Rider Kabuto
  • Black Mage - Final Fantasy
  • Shotaro - Kamen Rider W
  • Tsukasa - Kamen Rider Decade
djkidna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #72
Pixie of Death
chaotic fabulous

Kat Murz: I'm in precisely the same boat as you. Thores is evil.

I too was thinking of using PVC for the framework, but I'm concerned about the move-ability... I assume the PVC would have to be cut at the joints in order for the wings to be collapsable? Perhaps some sort of flexible plastic hose would work (I have something in mind, but I can't for the life of me think of what it's called...)?

As for the feathers, I was considering using fun foam. It's extremely light and it's flexible enough that you wouldn't have to worry about it getting banged up, which is my main concern with foamcore.

And for all the crazy... organic... uh... stuff (), I think caulk would work splendidly (I <3 caulk!). And I'm thinking hot glue may work nicely as well...
Ulquiorra Cifer | Bleach

.x.x.x. Costume journal, tutorials, and general wackiness here .x.x.x.
Pixie of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #73
angelzxdemonz
Ivi !!

thankyou SO much for this tutorial *loves*

my friend and i are making huge movable wings for our angel sanctuary costumes, and ive been looking for this thread ever since i found it a few months ago xDD
angelzxdemonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #74
Miscy8
Nimble Newb

Hello, I'm new to cosplay (though not costuming...oh, how I love Halloween ) and really want to make some Clover-style wings. Fortunately, I have a lot of time before the con I'm planning to attend.
I'd been designing the wing structure like so (green is inside wiring, red is an alternate I toyed with), then realized "DUH, I bet somebody else has made movable Clover wings!"

The only problem is, for some reason, the links to your schematics don't work for me. I was wondering if you still had them? I would be grateful.

I'm very open to changing the design. I'm a little worried about making a comfortable harness, as I'd prefer to make it as invisible as possible.
Miscy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #75
november.eyes
Srsly.

ah! some of the photo's aren't working for your feather'd wings, can you re-add the links please?

if its just my computer nevermind.

awesome tutorial though!
november.eyes is offline   Reply With Quote