Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Unread 03-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
camposbb

Ciel Phantomhive help?

Hi! I am doing this version :http://images2.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1746-2560.jpg

of Ciel Phanomhive. I have a question about fabric. Would I use a blue cotton polyester, cotton silk, or 100% cotton to make the shirt? And the capri's/pants/leggings, would I also use a similar fabric as the shirt?

About the pattern on the shirt and jacket, would I paint that on or sew seperate fabric on? The same question also goes for the goldish yellow pattern/lines on the ends of the sleeves.

Any patterns for the shirt would also be helpful! Or if anyone knows the name of the style of the shirt, that would help too.

Oh and about the headress, do you think it's made out of gray beads or braided cord or rope? Would I just have to sew on or glue on the feathers at the end?

I am sorry for asking so many questions. I am also sorry that this is the only reference picture of this outfit that is available so I am assuming the pattern on the front is the same on the back.
camposbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would probably pick cotton. Never, never, never ever polyester unless there's a darn good reason. I'm not sure what "cotton silk" would be. A blend ? That might be nice, but seems like it could be very difficult to find and you'd probably have to dye it yourself.

Personally, I might make the vest of wool flannel, it would give it a thicker and more "solid" feel than the cotton. The whole thing could be wool (with exception of the white ruffles) if you wanted it to, and would probably look great.

Silk could work, too, but would be a different interpretation. The "Folklore" says more "eastern European" to me - so more wool, but the designs look very similar to her "Indian" ones, so unless there was more about this explained, it's hard for me to say. There almost looks like there are bands of fur implied at the neckline and bottom of the blue tunic-thing (above the fringe). Sebastian's boots look more eastern european than Indian as well, so I'd probably settle on wool and linen if I were making it.

For the pattern, I would guess it's supposed to be woven bands that have been sewn on, that's how it would really be made. You could buy some trim or you could print something or paint something. Painting trim, instead of it all on the one fabric would lend a more realistic and textured look.

I would guess the "headdress" is braided, but that's just from this picture. You can stick the feathers up in the beads. Glue for extra security.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

It looks like you may well be in the territory of the old Ottoman empire with the inspiration for this outfit - so the sweep of countries between Turkey and southern Russia, including Hungary and Georgia - you may find some useful patterns in the traditional styles from these countries, and they'll have fabric recommendations. I would personally use something in the medium-leaning-towards-heavy weight range, rather than 100% silk or cotton which both tend to be quite light weight (Or very expensive when woven as heavy fabric). The trim would look really nice embroidered onto grosgrain ribbon, but you could also paint it.

I've seen short vests very similar to that one in belly dance patterns, which are very straightforward - also quite stiff, but I think the one I looked at was interlined in felt since the fashion fabrics used in belly dancing are usually quite soft. So that's another resource for you.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
camposbb

Thank you very much for the ideas! They're great. I love the idea of embroidering the trim for the pattern and I will look into some patterns. I think I will use wool for this. Again, thanks you guys!
camposbb is offline   Reply With Quote